Garmin Edge 1030 Woes

Two Tone

Apr 20, 2020
Cambridgeshire
Have used a Garmin Montana 610 for some time on my Trail Motorcycle but its a bit heavy and the handlebar doesn't work on a tapered cycle handlebar so I spent a small fortune on an Edge 1030 to use primarily for its GPS function not ever so interested in its cycle computer function, so far I've tried to use it 5 or 6 times but its constantly saying do a U-turn and that I'm off-course it tries to send me off completely in the wrong direction whilst loaded with a route that I know to be good its totally useless as a GPS it fact its worse than useless because your more likely to get lost using it than you are without it, anyone else have experience of this Garmin ?

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I've had the same problem of google maps telling me to do a u turn on my phone.
I was hoping the Garmin devices would be better/more accurate for navigation.

benny.c

Apr 21, 2019
North West
Turn off auto recalculation and off course alerts, it’s much better without for me. If you do go off route it’s easier to to take a look at the map and make your own way back to it.

If you don’t disable the above, once you do go off course it will recalculate your whole route which means you won’t get guidance for your original route. Or it will continually ask you to make a U-turn to get back to where you left the route which is equally annoying.

Last edited:

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Using an edge 1030 for 2 years now and I love the navigation part. I load a gpx in advance an just follow the purple line.
Agree on previous comment on disabling the recalculation and alerts if it gets problematic for you. To me I didn't have so many issues as I try to gocus on being close to the dark purple line :D

Two Tone

Apr 20, 2020
Cambridgeshire
Turn off auto recalculation and off course alerts, it’s much better without for me. If you do go off route it’s easier to to take a look at the map and make your own way back to it.

If you don’t disable the above, once you do go off course it will recalculate your whole route which means you won’t get guidance for your original route. Or it will continually ask you to make a U-turn to get back to where you left the route which is equally annoying.
Thanks, Benny Ill try that, haven't been able to use it yet in anger only dared test it on routes that I know.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Apologies for resurrecting and old thread but can’t find much info when I search. I’m thinking of buying a 1030 plus and buying the 1:25k OS maps for it. I currently have a subscription to OS maps on iPhone but would love to have a handlebar mounted device, as I keep my iPhone in my backpack. What are the handlebar mounts like? With tapered bars, is there a problem mounting? Is there a stem mount option?

Also, can the Garmin connect to a Turbo Levo and show speed, cadence, assistance level etc?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Apologies for resurrecting and old thread but can’t find much info when I search. I’m thinking of buying a 1030 plus and buying the 1:25k OS maps for it. I currently have a subscription to OS maps on iPhone but would love to have a handlebar mounted device, as I keep my iPhone in my backpack. What are the handlebar mounts like? With tapered bars, is there a problem mounting? Is there a stem mount option?

Also, can the Garmin connect to a Turbo Levo and show speed, cadence, assistance level etc?
Why get the OS maps? Garmin ones are pretty damn good.
Handlebar mounts, the world is your oyster. I prefer a stem cap mounted one to be central. (My one is a supestar one but theres many similar)
Garmin will connect to your Levo and give you all the metrics needed (and more)
1673859401529.png

1673859522866.png

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks for your input. Are You saying that the maps it comes with are suitable for off road use? I ride a lot in the Yorkshire Dales and in some remote places. My Wife has an 830 Edge and the mapping on that is not suitable for off road use.

I was looking at the Edge 1030 plus as it’s on sale now for £350 but have since read that it doesn’t have a micro sd card slot. The only way to get the OS maps is to download them to the device but, if I upgrade the device later or it breaks, you can’t transfer the maps to a new device. If I buy and SD card with full mapping, it can be used with future devices, providing they have the card slot.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
My 1030 doesn't have a memory card slot so that sorts that lol, I thought that it was a download. I use the Garmin maps to follow offroad easily enough, a few years ago on my old 800 i navigated coast to coast fine, and that was on the older maps.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
My 1030 doesn't have a memory card slot so that sorts that lol, I thought that it was a download. I use the Garmin maps to follow offroad easily enough, a few years ago on my old 800 i navigated coast to coast fine, and that was on the older maps.
I'm assuming that yours is a 1030 Plus, as the 1030 does have a card slot?
Does the Garmin standard mapping give you any detail other than roads?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Maybe it is then?? Definitely no card slot.
Plenty of info like footpaths/bridleways/elevation lines etc.
I can screen shot for you if you like when I get home.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
OK remembered late last night to look at my Garmin.
First off, yes it is a plus.
secondly, I couldn't remember how to do a screenshot so I've done a little video.
Thirdly, I don't see the elevation lines, I'm sure on my old 800 it had them???
Doesn't effect the way you navigate through.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
OK remembered late last night to look at my Garmin.
First off, yes it is a plus.
secondly, I couldn't remember how to do a screenshot so I've done a little video.
Thirdly, I don't see the elevation lines, I'm sure on my old 800 it had them???
Doesn't effect the way you navigate through.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. Very helpful. I've ordered a 1030 Plus and I'll see how I get on with the standard mapping.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Thank you for taking the time to do this. Very helpful. I've ordered a 1030 Plus and I'll see how I get on with the standard mapping.
When you plug it into the pc and see the folders, look for the .txt document and you can add your name and phone number to it, so when it starts up it shows (in case you ever lose it)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles