Full suspension XXL bike for a 6'7" Rider - I want a Santa Cruz Heckler 29" but they're 10+ weeks out..

RedToasty

May 23, 2020
Leamington Spa
Hadn’t looked at the megawatt, looks huge, and it comes in yellow which is worth everything to me. But the battery is 630, so 15% smaller than the Heckler, though it is still removable which is a big bonus.

Quite heavy though, Basically 25KG. Is that heavy nowadays? I’m scarred by the Flyon which weighed more than a tank. And put me off riding for ages.

Yeah, I bought a second battery for my Vitus. I was at Bike Park Wales on Saturday for example. Ride the morning on one battery, switch at lunch, ride the afternoon on the other. The weight is indeed about 10% more than a Levo, which equates to about 3% extra total weight with the rider on? Can't say I notice it :) I notice the better suspension for the money though!

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
10 weeks out ............. meh, some have waited 10 months for a bike to arrive.

Well - they're daft then :D I want to be riding a bike to looking at emails waiting for a shipping note - and if it really was 10 weeks that may be fine but as others have seen - it's supposed to have shipped in April and didn't, September is not a guarantee!

Last edited:

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
All Levos can remove the battery.

Didn't realise this thank you - my 2018 did but I had some how figured you couldn't now, must have read the website wrong!

However - given you have to flip the bike or have it on a stand to remove the battery - it might as well be fixed in permanently to me, I don't have the space at home to do that! When I was riding to work and back, 25K each way, I would remove the battery and charge at work, I couldn't do that in a work place with the newer model either, way too much hassle.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
I think the factories are starting to catch up with demand. Here in the US Specialized has an option to order from their website and it'll be delivered to a dealer to set it up, claims to be there in a week or so. Or they'll ship it right to your home and send out a tech for assembly. Don't know about the UK or Europe though. I happened in on a local dealer who was getting in a S-Works size S6 so the old impulse buy kicked in, clouding any real logic. I was on the bike in a week or so and after riding around for a couple of months kicking myself for having spent a ridiculous amount of money soon fell in love with the bike, with no regrets. I am retired and so stoked to be riding at 76!
I am getting terrific range out of my 700wh battery. I weigh 200lbs but I don't do many hills but mostly bike trail miles. The battery is removable BTW.
Good luck in your hunt!

Thanks again for this - turns out I could get one shipped to arrive tomorrow from 3-4 stores without too many issues!

But you're my height, lighter than me by 20% but still we know we're not small! SO the range working out all ok for you is great, means it should be more than good enough for me.

I was commuting, 25K each way, and removing the battery when I arrived, charging and putting it back in. The new way of removing the battery really means this would be impossible at work, as you need to flip the bike or use a stand. But, I am damned if I am every commuting to an office ever against...this may be why I am fat now.

I'd rather remove the battery for charging at home as the bike will be in the garden 100% of it's life (covered). Means I can only charge in the dry and frankly, I am in England.

But..... I can't get a Heckler today, or tomorrow, or maybe this year. I can get this which means riding right away.

Ky-lus

Mar 26, 2022
Gloucester
Thanks again for this - turns out I could get one shipped to arrive tomorrow from 3-4 stores without too many issues!

But you're my height, lighter than me by 20% but still we know we're not small! SO the range working out all ok for you is great, means it should be more than good enough for me.

I was commuting, 25K each way, and removing the battery when I arrived, charging and putting it back in. The new way of removing the battery really means this would be impossible at work, as you need to flip the bike or use a stand. But, I am damned if I am every commuting to an office ever against...this may be why I am fat now.

I'd rather remove the battery for charging at home as the bike will be in the garden 100% of it's life (covered). Means I can only charge in the dry and frankly, I am in England.

But..... I can't get a Heckler today, or tomorrow, or maybe this year. I can get this which means riding right away.
Have you tried the ep8? I had 1 for the day down the Forest of Dean yesterday. First time I’ve had a go and wasn’t impressed with the motor tbh. There was a demo heckler there also, very nice in the flesh but the motor has really put me off now. Was a struggle to keep up with my mate on his Bosch, plus I think I prefer power over the “natural feel”.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Have you tried the ep8? I had 1 for the day down the Forest of Dean yesterday. First time I’ve had a go and wasn’t impressed with the motor tbh. There was a demo heckler there also, very nice in the flesh but the motor has really put me off now. Was a struggle to keep up with my mate on his Bosch, plus I think I prefer power over the “natural feel”.

I have not tried it, never. Hard as getting the size and a demo is tricky.

Put it this way, I drive a Tesla Model S, the 4wd, power version, will I enjoy the EP8? :D

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Or the new Whyte E 160 in Xl

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Or the new Whyte E 160 in Xl

Huge thanks - hadn't clocked this one. Still feels a bit small for my massive frame though - if they did an XL then.....

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Nicolai
amazing bike with proper sizing for big boys
also very unique

Biggest thing putting me off this one is the weight. The Flyon scarred me from weighing way too much so I sold it. I'd rather be lighter. Also not sure on servicing and or returns if it turns out to not be good?

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Lol not as much as the Bosch for sure! Have you got your eye on any other bikes?

Thanks again - until now - no I had no idea but had latched onto the Heckler as something that would fit me, and thats always thought number one when it comes to anything in my life (the car, trousers... a bed...).

Ultimately I know there is no such thing as a "bad" bike, they all have the same shocks and trimmings by the same brands, so it's just frame size and motor I am thinking about.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
So - Final options

Pole Voima
€8,427.42 +€280 shipping = £7426 + 14% import = £8465 + 20% VAT = £10, 158

2022 TURBO LEVO COMP ALLOY
£6750.00 total

Not really much of a choice is it? Bloody stupid Brexit. Would rather have the Voima. Looks cool.

Going to buy a Levo comp alloy - unless I get told otherwise
Compromising on back wheel size, ease of battery removal
Benefits over the Voima - £3.5K, local warranty

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Giant?

505 reach, massive battery and killer spec

or Canyon Spectral on, 510mm reach, massive battery, top spec

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
No update on eta for the heckler, they said can’t be far away now. Who knows? :cautious:

If this helps you - Santa C got back to me today and said there is a shipment hitting the UK before the end of the month.

I had asked them for availability on a grey, 29/29, R spec.

If you're willing to go with the Avocado colour Stif MTB has one free in the next shipment which should be with them for the end of the month if not before.
Heckler 29er R-Kit.
Stif Mountain Bikes

If you'd rather wait for the Grey then it's going to be 6-8 weeks at least and one planet adventure has one coming into stock.
OnePlanet Adventure

Other than those 2 we are pretty much sold out for the time being.

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal

No need to remove the battery. I've had the Levo for 6 months and have never removed the battery.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Much as I appreciate your obvious wisdom and deep Knowledge of my personal situation, my house, life and other circumstances that would affect if, or not, a slide out battery would be suitable for my needs - please could you keep your particular opinions to yourself.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles