Full suspension XXL bike for a 6'7" Rider - I want a Santa Cruz Heckler 29" but they're 10+ weeks out..

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Everything is in the title really :) I had a 2017 Turbo Levo XL that I liked until someone nicked it (had to extend stem, was a bit small), then had a Haibike Flyon which was even smaller and weighed like 30KG so that was awful and I sold it.

2 years sat on my arse I am now 120KG myself - and I need a bike to get back into shape.

I really like the Heckler, removable battery, big enough wheels for me to not look stupid riding it. Can I get one anywhere else? Should I get a different bike?

I'll really just ride around the South Downs on the bike, but I like the ability to go anywhere on a bike :)

Thanks for your big brains!

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
How about a trek rail ?

I am 6ft 5‘’ and did weight 110kgs (now down to 90kgs thanks to the bike )

I am riding a xl and is fine for me

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Honestly a bit of me doesn’t like TREK in massive letters down the side 😅

but, the Trek Rail 9.8 XT isn’t that much more than the Heckler - it’s the size that really really worries me. I’m truly massive and far too long for everything from cars to beds. You feel cramped at all ever or..?

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Specialized Levo?
Looks like the S6 has the reach - but they only do two bikes in that size, and the only one within my reach is mullet, doesn't have a removable battery and also only has 500wh battery so would pass on those parts sadly :/

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Looks like the S6 has the reach - but they only do two bikes in that size, and the only one within my reach is mullet, doesn't have a removable battery and also only has 500wh battery so would pass on those parts sadly :/

There is a S6 sized gen 3 levo expert for sale on ebay, might be worth a look! the guys trying to market it for people from 6ft tall so not to sure how big it actually is in person.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
Mondraker, such as Crafty, have a notoriously long reach, 500mm, and long wheelbase, 1300mm, which is slightly longer than the Rail.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Mondraker, such as Crafty, have a notoriously long reach, 500mm, and long wheelbase, 1300mm, which is slightly longer than the Rail.

They do indeed - in fact the dealer I was trying to get a heckler from - has a Mondraker they tried to sell me

But, the reach is 500, so still quite a bit shorter than the heckler, and they don't have removable batteries which is (almost) essential as my bike will live in the garden

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
They do indeed - in fact the dealer I was trying to get a heckler from - has a Mondraker they tried to sell me

But, the reach is 500, so still quite a bit shorter than the heckler, and they don't have removable batteries which is (almost) essential as my bike will live in the garden
Yeah why the new Mondraker doesn’t have removable batteries is a deal breaker for many, last years model has it!
As a note on geometry; the XL Heckler is only 1mm longer wheelbase and 5mm longer reach, but the L Mondraker has a 12mm shorter stem…
I wonder if the new Heckler you are looking at, 2023?, has the newer EP8 motor. I wouldn’t like to be spending that much money on a bike with the current EP8 knowing an updated version is around the corner. Just something to consider i guess.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Off the top of my head some longer bikes that might suit:

2022 Pole Voima: Wheelbase 1368mm, Reach 535mm (29 F/R)
2022 Trek Rail 9.8: Wheelbase 1313mm, Reach 521mm(29" F/R)
2022+ Kenevo S5: Wheelbase 1322mm, Reach 520mm (27.5' F/R)
2022 Levo S6: Wheelbase 1318mm, Reach 532mm (Mullet)

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Off the top of my head some longer bikes that might suit:

2022 Pole Voima: Wheelbase 1368mm, Reach 535mm (29 F/R)
2022 Trek Rail 9.8: Wheelbase 1313mm, Reach 521mm(29" F/R)
2022+ Kenevo S5: Wheelbase 1322mm, Reach 520mm (27.5' F/R)
2022 Levo S6: Wheelbase 1318mm, Reach 532mm (Mullet)

Enormous (ha!) thanks, more to google now...

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
10 weeks plus? Wow! I also have a heckler 29 on order but didn’t realise they were still so far away.
I think it’s worse in some ways, they have been in order since April I think and keep slipping. Santa Cruz haven’t answered my emails about it yet either

Ky-lus

Mar 26, 2022
Gloucester
I think it’s worse in some ways, they have been in order since April I think and keep slipping. Santa Cruz haven’t answered my emails about it yet either
I ordered back in February with a April delivery. Last time i checked they were saying July/early August. Will check with them tomorrow but if it’s that far off il probably also be looking elsewhere.

Ky-lus

Mar 26, 2022
Gloucester
I pre ordered from two wheels. I emailed around most of the dealers to see if anyone was getting any sooner. Dirt & evo thought june and pedal & spoke was hoping for aug. Will see what two wheels say tomorrow and let you know.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids

they do the S6 in all models of the turbo levo (availability might be your issue), only the basic model has the 500wh battery & it is removable. the battery is held in by just one bolt, disconnect the battery connector & it slides out the bottom of the top tube

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
I'm about the same size as you. 6-6 115kg. I ride an S6 Levo Alloy Comp and it is the best fitting bike I've owned, but I'm running at 60mm rise bar. I for my size I don't trust carbon. I've broken 3 frames in my live and 2 of the 3 were caught early enough to prevent catastrophic failure. While reach is an important number to look also keep an eye on stack height. Some bikes are really low which will cause different fit issues. What is the resistance to the mullet setup?

RedToasty

May 23, 2020
Leamington Spa
Nukeproof Megawatt XXL? I’m 6’6”, mainly legs, riding an XL Vitus ESommet, the Nukeproof is very similar, but comes in slightly bigger. Loving the Vitus at the moment, modern bikes do seem to cater for bigger riders a lot better than older bikes, due to the crazy long droppers and longer reach.

Pretty much everything listed above is miles longer than your old Levo, if anything I’d be cautious of going too long and getting something that’s no fun.

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
I'm 6'7", been on a 2022 Turbo Levo size S6 for around 6 months now, fits really well, first bike that feels suited to my height and reach.
Great bike, my first carbon bike, and with wireless dropper and derailleur very impressive.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
I'm about the same size as you. 6-6 115kg. I ride an S6 Levo Alloy Comp and it is the best fitting bike I've owned, but I'm running at 60mm rise bar. I for my size I don't trust carbon. I've broken 3 frames in my live and 2 of the 3 were caught early enough to prevent catastrophic failure. While reach is an important number to look also keep an eye on stack height. Some bikes are really low which will cause different fit issues. What is the resistance to the mullet setup?
Thanks for this - yeah I am not keen on any carbon really, seems a risk. I might be looking to lose weight but I haven’t lost it yet!

The resistance to mullet is… not really based on real things - more that as a massive bloke, just like you, I have been out of place and daft looking stood next to anything regular sized all my life. I have a big American car because I don;t feel comfortable in a regular size thing so I wanted twin 29” wheels to genuinely feel the bike fitted me!!!

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Nukeproof Megawatt XXL? I’m 6’6”, mainly legs, riding an XL Vitus ESommet, the Nukeproof is very similar, but comes in slightly bigger. Loving the Vitus at the moment, modern bikes do seem to cater for bigger riders a lot better than older bikes, due to the crazy long droppers and longer reach.

Hadn’t looked at the megawatt, looks huge, and it comes in yellow which is worth everything to me. But the battery is 630, so 15% smaller than the Heckler, though it is still removable which is a big bonus.

Quite heavy though, Basically 25KG. Is that heavy nowadays? I’m scarred by the Flyon which weighed more than a tank. And put me off riding for ages.

and - I have found one 15 milesaway from me, in stock! In XXL! (Not in yellow, sadly)

Pretty much everything listed above is miles longer than your old Levo, if anything I’d be cautious of going too long and getting something that’s no fun.
I thought this might be true and found the old specs for the Levo which was, something like 450mm reach, a 400w battery, and dual 27” inch wheels which seems tiny now I suppose!

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
I'm 6'7", been on a 2022 Turbo Levo size S6 for around 6 months now, fits really well, first bike that feels suited to my height and reach.
Great bike, my first carbon bike, and with wireless dropper and derailleur very impressive.

Real good to hear of someone the same height with a Specialized and it works - I thought I could see none in stock but seemingly they have two websites, just to confuse. Getting good range out of it with your size and specs? No worries with battery not being removable etc etc?

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
I think the factories are starting to catch up with demand. Here in the US Specialized has an option to order from their website and it'll be delivered to a dealer to set it up, claims to be there in a week or so. Or they'll ship it right to your home and send out a tech for assembly. Don't know about the UK or Europe though. I happened in on a local dealer who was getting in a S-Works size S6 so the old impulse buy kicked in, clouding any real logic. I was on the bike in a week or so and after riding around for a couple of months kicking myself for having spent a ridiculous amount of money soon fell in love with the bike, with no regrets. I am retired and so stoked to be riding at 76!
I am getting terrific range out of my 700wh battery. I weigh 200lbs but I don't do many hills but mostly bike trail miles. The battery is removable BTW.
Good luck in your hunt!

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Real good to hear of someone the same height with a Specialized and it works - I thought I could see none in stock but seemingly they have two websites, just to confuse. Getting good range out of it with your size and specs? No worries with battery not being removable etc etc?
All Levos can remove the battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles