Frozen free hub?

GeekEcosse

Oct 24, 2018
Edinburgh
Was meeting a mate for our usual Sunday morning camping stove fry up and ride in the woods today. Jumped on the bike and thought I’d dropped my chain. Display was throwing and error w011 and my legs were spinning.
The free hub was not engaging as I pedalled.
Was snowy conditions and -3ish. I had a small flask of tea and poured this over the cassette and it started working. Stop for a blether and 20 mins later it had frozen again and game over as no more tea. Although it did initially engage then felt like it snapped and the pedals spun round which worries me.
Got home where it was only 0 and it was fine.

Thoughts? Was it really frozen? I last rode it Friday night in the snow and out it away after a wash and air hose dry.

Tia.
S

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Pull the free hub and service it using hub specific grease or oil on the hub pawls. They were sticking in the cold and not engaging.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have found that even freehub specific grease seems to have a higher viscosity in very cold weather. Best bet this time of year is to be very meagre with grease anywhere near the pawls ( I am assuming pawl type?) . A smear of grease just where the heel of the pawl sits is all that required.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles