Free Chain Stay - Orbea Rise M20 - Size Large Frame

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Hello,

Life's too short and there are too many good bikes out there. I recently received my new eBike, a Pivot Shuttle SL, Pro X01 build. Yes, Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus!

IMG_2375.JPG

I sold my Rise M20 to my brother Rich. My brother can't ride for shit, so I'm positive I'll still be posting repair articles on the Orbea forum. In the meantime, let's see what mischief I can get up to with the Shuttle SL.

Several months after I got my Rise M20, the clear coat began peeling off the right "Seat Stay". I submitted the part for warranty and Orbea agreed to warranty the part as a paint defect. Orbea shipped me out a new "Chain Stay" instead of a seat stay. I offered to buy the chain stay as opposed to shipping it back to Spain. Orbea agreed to sell it to me for $125.

When I sold my Rise to my brother, I took the old chain stay off and installed the new chain stay on the bike.

The old chain stay is in perfect operating condition, however it does have a host of paint chips here and there around the stays. I am offering the chain stay for free to anybody who can use it. You will need to pay for the actual shipping, I can box it up.

Ideally, I'd like the chain stay to go to somebody who has gashed their chain stay and can really use it as opposed to somebody wanting it as a backup.

The paint chips can be easily fixed. The Orbea paint code for the "Ice Green" color is
Pantone color chart: ICE GREEN- P 571 C SOLID

For those interested, the dark green color is Pantone color chart: OCEAN- P 3165 C

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Rod, if no one ends up needing it, I would take it from you. My chainstay is already pretty hammered and I've been wondering if it's a part I'm going to break. Definitely should go to some one who needs, but if that person doesn't exist, I'd be a happy caretaker.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Rod, if no one ends up needing it, I would take it from you. My chainstay is already pretty hammered and I've been wondering if it's a part I'm going to break. Definitely should go to some one who needs, but if that person doesn't exist, I'd be a happy caretaker.
It's yours. Send me a private message with your address and we'll work the logistics out.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on the pivot. A mate just got the first one in Australia last week, looks awesome.
Cookie,

I placed an order for the Pivot Shuttle SL, with Shimano SLX/XT package in July. By late November, I still hadn't received the bike. The Pro X01 and XTR models were shipping, however the SLX models were not. I emailed Pivot and inquired about the delay. Pivot notified me there was a supply issue with the Fazua motor and "Hopefully" SLX models would begin shipping sometime in January, possibly February. I changed my order to a Pivot X01 model and quickly received it, about two weeks ago.

The Shuttle SL X01 package consists of Fox 36 Factory, Grip 2 fork and Fox Factory Float X rear shock. The drive train is SRAM X01 with 10-52 cassette. Braking consists of Shimano 8120 brake levers/calipers with XT rotors, 203 front and 180 rear. The wheels are DT Swiss XM1700 aluminum wheels, with DT Swiss 350 centerlock hubs. The dropper post is a 180mm Fox Transfer. The handlebar is a Pivot Phoenix carbon with 30mm Pivot stem. Tires consist of Maxxis 2.4 Dissectors front and rear.

The X01 Pro is pretty much a solid bike right out of the box. Normally, I'd put my Nobl TR37 carbon wheels from my Rise on the Shuttle. However, Pivot uses Superboost (157mm) rear hub spacing. To use my Nobl wheels which use boost (148mm) spacing, I'd need to buy a superboost I9 Hydra hub and new spokes. I'm going to run the aluminum wheels and see how long they last. As a side note, my brother scored when he bought my Rise......

I have made several small upgrades. I transferred the SRAM AXS shift system over from the Rise. I replaced the stock 36T drive ratchet on the Dt Swiss 350 rear hub with a 52T ratchet. I installed a Chris King headset. I replaced the Shimano RT-EM810 180mm rear rotor with a 203mm rotor. Lastly, I replaced the Maxxis Dissector tires with a Maxxis Assegai 2.5 up front and a Maxxis DHR II 2.4 on the rear.

The bike new, weighed in at approximately 38.50 pounds/17.50 kilos. With the added weight of the 2.5 Assegai, AXS derailleur/shifter and 203mm rotor and caliper adapter, the bike is pushing close to 39.50 pounds/18 kilos. When considering this weight against what the Rise weighs, keep in mind the Shuttle SL comes with a 430WH battery as opposed to the Rise's 360WH battery.

Pivot's website specifications for the Pro X01 model states the bike is supposed to come with a 150mm travel fork. For some reason, my bike came with a 160mm travel fork. I can always use the extra travel.

The Shuttle SL is fast and has a lively feeling. You want to hit all the trail kickers on this bike. It's light and can be easily tossed about. At the same time, the bike is very composed and is not easily thrown off line when riding in chunk and trail chatter. In all honesty, the only thing slowing the bike down is me.

There's this trail at El Moro State Park in Laguna California called Old Emerald. It's about 1/4 mile/400 meters in length of fast and flowy downhill. I've ridden the trail probably about 60 times or so. My first run down Old Emerald on the Shuttle SL and I beat my Strava PR time by 10 seconds. The bike is fast.

The bike has a flip chip. I haven't ridden the bike in the "High" setting yet. In the "Low" setting, the Shuttle SL performs well on steep technical climbs, however I have to really move up on the saddle to keep the front wheel down. This may be due to the 160mm front fork? The Rise's front wheel is much more planted on steep climbs. There are always trade offs in geometry. The Rise's rear chain stay is 44.50 Cm long, whereas the Shuttle rear chain stay for size large is 43.20 Cm long. The shorter chain stay gives the Shuttle SL it's "Flickability", however this also impacts "Climbability." Choices, choices...I'll take Flickability.

There are two basic eBike power measurements used to identify how much power an eBike motor has. They are motor "Wattage" and "Torque" at the rear wheel. "Wattage" is how much power the motor is capable of producing. "Torque" is the amount of rotational power reaching the rear wheel. Torque for eBikes is rated in Newton Meters. A motor's power, i.e. "Horsepower" is rated in Wattage.

So, how does "Motor wattage" and "Newton Meters" of torque relate? The higher the motor's wattage, the easier it is to produce torque i.e. rotational force at the rear wheel. In other words, more motor watts equals less rider effort to produce a motor's rated, i.e. 65Nm for the EP8 RS motor.

eBike manufacturers also like to use terms like "Nominal" wattage and "Maximum" wattage. Nominal motor wattage refers to how much power the motor can consistently provide long term without overheating. "Maximum" wattage is the overall power a motor can produce without problems such as overheating occurring. The Fazua Ride 60 motor can produce a nominal 350 watts and a maximum of 450 watts. However, the 450 watts of "Superboost" power can only be done in brief spurts of 12 seconds.

Okay, now that we understand the relationship between motor watts and newton meters of torque, here is how the Shimano EP8 RS and Fazua Ride 60 motors stack up against each other.

EP8 RS:
The Shimano EP8 RS motor produces a "Nominal" 250 watts of power and a maximum of 350 watts of power. The motor can produce up to 65Nm of rotational torque at the rear wheel.

Shimano EP8 RS programming app allows the user to set a maximum motor wattage (Think of Watts as Horsepower) of 150 watts in Eco Mode, 250 watts in Trail Mode and 350 watts in Boost Mode.

Note: While it is possible to jailbreak the EP8 RS motor using Stunlocker, etc., I'm keeping this discussion as a apples to apples direct comparison of the motors in stock format.

Fazua Ride 60:
The Fazua Ride 60 motor produces a "Nominal" 350 watts of power and a maximum of 450 watts of "Superboost" power which are used in 12 second spurts.

The Fazua programming app allows the user to set a maximum motor wattage of 350W in all three modes, i.e. Eco, Trail, Boost.

The Fazua Ride 60 motor is slightly more powerful than the Shimano EP8 RS due to the 450 watt superboost function. Other than that, the motors feel the same. The Ride 60 motor is much much more quiet than the Shimano EP8. The superboost function is nice, especially when negotiating a punchy uphill section where you need just a little bit of extra juice to make the climb.

The Shuttle SL pedals more efficiently with the power turned off. I did a ride last week and pedaled the bike for about eight miles with no power, this included some long uphill sections that I would never have tried on my Rise. I would describe the Shuttle SL as pedaling like a heavy enduro bike. Interestingly, the Pro X01 model is the only build that comes with a SRAM 34T chainring which is mounted on a spider. All other builds have Shimano drive trains and use a direct mount 32T chainring. I will be switching to a SRAM 32T chainring as soon as I can source the chainring and Fazua motor spindle tool. I believe switching to a 32T chainring will improve range since I'll be able to use Eco mode more and it will also improve "No Power" pedaling.

The Fazua Ride 60 user app is much more user friendly than Shimano's Etube app. The Fazua Ride 60 app allows the user to set a multitude of custom rider power profiles as opposed to just two ride profiles with the Shimano app.

While you can experiment and customize the power settings, Fazua also provides suggested power settings based on a questionnaire which the user fills out in regards to age, physical fitness, type of riding and user goals, i.e. long range, performance, etc. Based on the user's selections you are offered a host of power options.

I'm still fine tuning the power settings. It would be unfair to comment about the Shuttle SL's range until I get everything dialed in. My best "Overall" ride on my Rise, using just the frame battery was 27 miles and 4,100 feet of climbing. If I can slightly beat that ride with the Shuttle SL, I'll be happy.

Here are some pictures of the bike.

Be safe,
Rod

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

Last edited:

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
very nice looking bit of kit!

Be keen to hear your thoughts after riding it a while. I'm still super happy with my rise apart from the battery size and a couple of things like upper axel and noisy motor.

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
Cookie,

I placed an order for the Pivot Shuttle SL, with Shimano SLX/XT package in July. By late November, I still hadn't received the bike. The Pro X01 and XTR models were shipping, however the SLX models were not. I emailed Pivot and inquired about the delay. Pivot notified me there was a supply issue with the Fazua motor and "Hopefully" SLX models would begin shipping sometime in January, possibly February. I changed my order to a Pivot X01 model and quickly received it, about two weeks ago.

The Shuttle SL X01 package consists of Fox 36 Factory, Grip 2 fork and Fox Factory Float X rear shock. The drive train is SRAM X01 with 10-52 cassette. Braking consists of Shimano 8120 brake levers/calipers with XT rotors, 203 front and 180 rear. The wheels are DT Swiss XM1700 aluminum wheels, with DT Swiss 350 centerlock hubs. The dropper post is a 180mm Fox Transfer. The handlebar is a Pivot Phoenix carbon with 30mm Pivot stem. Tires consist of Maxxis 2.4 Dissectors front and rear.

The X01 Pro is pretty much a solid bike right out of the box. Normally, I'd put my Nobl TR37 carbon wheels from my Rise on the Shuttle. However, Pivot uses Superboost (157mm) rear hub spacing. To use my Nobl wheels which use boost (148mm) spacing, I'd need to buy a superboost I9 Hydra hub and new spokes. I'm going to run the aluminum wheels and see how long they last. As a side note, my brother scored when he bought my Rise......

I have made several small upgrades. I transferred the SRAM AXS shift system over from the Rise. I replaced the stock 36T drive ratchet on the Dt Swiss 350 rear hub with a 52T ratchet. I installed a Chris King headset. I replaced the Shimano RT-EM810 180mm rear rotor with a 203mm rotor. Lastly, I replaced the Maxxis Dissector tires with a Maxxis Assegai 2.5 up front and a Maxxis DHR II 2.4 on the rear.

The bike new, weighed in at approximately 38.50 pounds/17.50 kilos. With the added weight of the 2.5 Assegai, AXS derailleur/shifter and 203mm rotor and caliper adapter, the bike is pushing close to 39.50 pounds/18 kilos. When considering this weight against what the Rise weighs, keep in mind the Shuttle SL comes with a 430WH battery as opposed to the Rise's 360WH battery.

Pivot's website specifications for the Pro X01 model states the bike is supposed to come with a 150mm travel fork. For some reason, my bike came with a 160mm travel fork. I can always use the extra travel.

The Shuttle SL is fast and has a lively feeling. You want to hit all the trail kickers on this bike. It's light and can be easily tossed about. At the same time, the bike is very composed and is not easily thrown off line when riding in chunk and trail chatter. In all honesty, the only thing slowing the bike down is me.

There's this trail at El Moro State Park in Laguna California called Old Emerald. It's about 1/4 mile/400 meters in length of fast and flowy downhill. I've ridden the trail probably about 60 times or so. My first run down Old Emerald on the Shuttle SL and I beat my Strava PR time by 10 seconds. The bike is fast.

The bike has a flip chip. I haven't ridden the bike in the "High" setting yet. In the "Low" setting, the Shuttle SL performs well on steep technical climbs, however I have to really move up on the saddle to keep the front wheel down. This may be due to the 160mm front fork? The Rise's front wheel is much more planted on steep climbs. There are always trade offs in geometry. The Rise's rear chain stay is 44.50 Cm long, whereas the Shuttle rear chain stay for size large is 43.20 Cm long. The shorter chain stay gives the Shuttle SL it's "Flickability", however this also impacts "Climbability." Choices, choices...I'll take Flickability.

There are two basic eBike power measurements used to identify how much power an eBike motor has. They are motor "Wattage" and "Torque" at the rear wheel. "Wattage" is how much power the motor is capable of producing. "Torque" is the amount of rotational power reaching the rear wheel. Torque for eBikes is rated in Newton Meters. A motor's power, i.e. "Horsepower" is rated in Wattage.

So, how does "Motor wattage" and "Newton Meters" of torque relate? The higher the motor's wattage, the easier it is to produce torque i.e. rotational force at the rear wheel. In other words, more motor watts equals less rider effort to produce a motor's rated, i.e. 65Nm for the EP8 RS motor.

eBike manufacturers also like to use terms like "Nominal" wattage and "Maximum" wattage. Nominal motor wattage refers to how much power the motor can consistently provide long term without overheating. "Maximum" wattage is the overall power a motor can produce without problems such as overheating occurring. The Fazua Ride 60 motor can produce a nominal 350 watts and a maximum of 450 watts. However, the 450 watts of "Superboost" power can only be done in brief spurts of 12 seconds.

Okay, now that we understand the relationship between motor watts and newton meters of torque, here is how the Shimano EP8 RS and Fazua Ride 60 motors stack up against each other.

EP8 RS:
The Shimano EP8 RS motor produces a "Nominal" 250 watts of power and a maximum of 350 watts of power. The motor can produce up to 65Nm of rotational torque at the rear wheel.

Shimano EP8 RS programming app allows the user to set a maximum motor wattage (Think of Watts as Horsepower) of 150 watts in Eco Mode, 250 watts in Trail Mode and 350 watts in Boost Mode.

Note: While it is possible to jailbreak the EP8 RS motor using Stunlocker, etc., I'm keeping this discussion as a apples to apples direct comparison of the motors in stock format.

Fazua Ride 60:
The Fazua Ride 60 motor produces a "Nominal" 350 watts of power and a maximum of 450 watts of "Superboost" power which are used in 12 second spurts.

The Fazua programming app allows the user to set a maximum motor wattage of 350W in all three modes, i.e. Eco, Trail, Boost.

The Fazua Ride 60 motor is slightly more powerful than the Shimano EP8 RS due to the 450 watt superboost function. Other than that, the motors feel the same. The Ride 60 motor is much much more quiet than the Shimano EP8. The superboost function is nice, especially when negotiating a punchy uphill section where you need just a little bit of extra juice to make the climb.

The Shuttle SL pedals more efficiently with the power turned off. I did a ride last week and pedaled the bike for about eight miles with no power, this included some long uphill sections that I would never have tried on my Rise. I would describe the Shuttle SL as pedaling like a heavy enduro bike. Interestingly, the Pro X01 model is the only build that comes with a SRAM 34T chainring which is mounted on a spider. All other builds have Shimano drive trains and use a direct mount 32T chainring. I will be switching to a SRAM 32T chainring as soon as I can source the chainring and Fazua motor spindle tool. I believe switching to a 32T chainring will improve range since I'll be able to use Eco mode more and it will also improve "No Power" pedaling.

The Fazua Ride 60 user app is much more user friendly than Shimano's Etube app. The Fazua Ride 60 app allows the user to set a multitude of custom rider power profiles as opposed to just two ride profiles with the Shimano app.

While you can experiment and customize the power settings, Fazua also provides suggested power settings based on a questionnaire which the user fills out in regards to age, physical fitness, type of riding and user goals, i.e. long range, performance, etc. Based on the user's selections you are offered a host of power options.

I'm still fine tuning the power settings. It would be unfair to comment about the Shuttle SL's range until I get everything dialed in. My best "Overall" ride on my Rise, using just the frame battery was 27 miles and 4,100 feet of climbing. If I can slightly beat that ride with the Shuttle SL, I'll be happy.

Here are some pictures of the bike.

Be safe,
Rod

View attachment 103106

View attachment 103107

View attachment 103108

View attachment 103109

View attachment 103110

View attachment 103111

View attachment 103112
Great review. Thanks. I was thinking of making the change from the rise to the shuttle SL, too.

MAster

Nov 6, 2022
Germany
Hey I could test the Fazua Ride 60 on a Canyon Commuter Ltd.. You are right it is very quiet and no rattles. What I did not like was the ring control feeling, also I always felt a noticeable lag until the motor support punched in. Moreover, in the turbo mode the motor had a quiet large response to stop when I interrupted pedaling. Cheers, Johnny

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles