Rail (625Wh) Fox x2 on 2022 Trek rail 5 (large)

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
Hi all, I've had a search on here but I'm struggling to find out how to fit an X2 on a 2022 (large)Trek Rail 5. I called TF tuned but didn't get anywhere in the conversation when asking what hardware kit to buy. It's quite confusing as the website says this is a trunnion fitment despite the eyelet not going through the shock.

1661871871946.png

and apparently my current shock isn't a trunnion fitment?
1661872327486.png

Basically I would like to fit an x2 on my trek rail 5, can someone tell me what size x2 to byt and what hardware kit from the tftuned website?

Thanks

1661871680386.png

1661872336070.png

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
Ok, after more research it seems that when these companies advertise these products some state that the shock is a trunnion and show a standard fitting in the photo, so you don't know what you are getting unless you call them. Anyway, will I have issues if I fit a 62.5?
1661889568361.png

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
Having not fitted one myself i couldnt help you any more
TF Tuned are very wrong thou in this instance
Maybe they were trying to sell you a coil shock instead for more money :)

Keep us posted on your results
Cheers .

This is the reply I got:

"Unfortunately, we do not believe the Fox Float X2 will fit that frame. We have had one in the workshop and the air can doesn’t quite fit and clear the charge port on the seat tube

Many thanks"

So whilst they didn't try to sell me something else they didn't offer a helpful solution, which is the same tone I had from the guy on the phone who refused to just tell me what I needed and said go look on the website...I then had to force him to help me navigate through it to find what's needed in the trek section...which doesn't say it will fit fox shocks so was none the wiser after a very awkward and unhelpful conversation. I then said it's ok, I'll do my own research and find out (rather than ask a knowledgeable company to just tell me what I need). Honestly, you can't give money to companies these days as the staff just can't be bothered.

A helpful company would be saying "Yes Sir, this is what you need and the cost is this much, and we have the shock in stock if you'd like to buy it from us, AND the total comes to £xxx so if you'd like to order now over the phone it will save you traipsing through our website and having to research what you need for hours on end."

But no...all I get is "it's best to use the website" and "We don't believe it will fit". I was calling because I was having trouble finding the right part on the website, I wasn't calling for a chat. lol. Anyway, I will report on here if the 62.5 fits to save others from the struggle. I'm really surprised Trek put an £80 rear shock on a 5 grand bike to be honest. It leaked after first use.Apart from that the bike has been awesome. Especially with the front forks I bought, but now it's time to match things up.

Viserys

Apr 17, 2021
UK
I have fitted a 230 x60mm x2 to my rail 5. The standard non trunnion one. All the mountings from the rockshox shock can be swapped over to the x2 including the bushes. The bolts straight in.

Viserys

Apr 17, 2021
UK
And my rail is a medium. The rail 7 with the trunnion would need a fitting kit but th standard deluxe on the 5 gives you all the hardware you need.

886C204E-41EF-44B3-81C1-8D8219767972.jpeg

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
"Unfortunately, we do not believe the Fox Float X2 will fit that frame. We have had one in the workshop and the air can doesn’t quite fit and clear the charge port on the seat tube "

They must be using one hell of a x2 @ tf tuned if its hitting the charge port LOL

When a top company doesn't know what they are talking about it's a bit worrying. As hoped, I got all the info I needed from this thread thanks to Viserys. Resuts coming up....

1662326535523.png

Last edited:

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
So, I bought a 230, 62.5:

1662326933410.png

Had to take it to he local bike shop to remove these bearings...it was a real pain even for the bike shop as they didn't have the fox tool, but they persevered and did a great job:

1662327024308.png

Here's how to do it.
The I swapped over the hardware:

1662327395547.png

This is the result...plenty of room and funnily enough it doesn't hit the charging port, nor did it catch on the moon :/.

1662327514669.png

That's where the ring sat after a big gap. The shock didn't foul anywhere and I didn't need to buy any new parts to fit my Trek Rail 5 (L).

Job done. Thanks to all who contributed...and on a further note...if the trek rail 5 has 150mm of rear travel as per the spec sheet, would that mean it has a a leverage ratio of 2.608? If that's the case it means the bike now has 163mm of rear travel.

Last edited:

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
So, I bought a 230, 62.5:

View attachment 96404
Had to take it to he local bike shop to remove these bearings...it was a real pain even for the bike shop as they didn't have the fox tool, but they persevered and did a great job:

View attachment 96405
Here's how to do it.
The I swapped over the hardware:

View attachment 96407

This is the result...plenty of room and funnily enough it doesn't hit the charging port, nor did it catch on the moon :/.

View attachment 96408

That's where the ring sat after a big gap. The shock didn't foul anywhere and I didn't need to buy any new parts to fit my Trek Rail 5 (L).

Job done. Thanks to all who contributed...and on a further note...if the trek rail 5 has 150mm of rear travel as per the spec sheet, would that mean it has a a leverage ratio of 2.608? If that's the case it means the bike now has 163mm of rear travel.
Yes, that travel is about right. The leverage ratio drops to 2.4 at the end of stroke, but that 5 mm * 2.4 is still 12mm so 162 might be the actual.
I fitted an öhlins ttx1 with 65 mm on mine with no problems.

NOTE that you cannot run the mino link at low with that 5 mm extra stroke as the rear frame then hits the seatpost.

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
Yes, that travel is about right. The leverage ratio drops to 2.4 at the end of stroke, but that 5 mm * 2.4 is still 12mm so 162 might be the actual.
I fitted an öhlins ttx1 with 65 mm on mine with no problems.

NOTE that you cannot run the mino link at low with that 5 mm extra stroke as the rear frame then hits the seatpost.

I'm running my mino link in the low position with 5mm extra stroke over the standard shock without such issues.

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
I'm running my mino link in the low position with 5mm extra stroke over the standard shock without such issues.
Have you fully bottomed out the shock and also the bump stop?

With the mino high, full 65 mm squish on aluminium rail 7 2021 there is about 3 mm gap to the seat tube.

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
Have you fully bottomed out the shock and also the bump stop?

With the mino high, full 65 mm squish on aluminium rail 7 2021 there is about 3 mm gap to the seat tube.

Only as far as the photo above mate. On my 2022 Rail 5 really can't see where it would hit. Have you got a photo or video you could show me? I'd love to see where you mean.

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
Only as far as the photo above mate. On my 2022 Rail 5 really can't see where it would hit. Have you got a photo or video you could show me? I'd love to see where you mean.
I mean the rear frame where the tire is mounted, it has a joining part between the tire and the seat tube that hits the seat tube if too much travel. But i only can say this on the 2021 model as the 22 has different frame, situation might be different.

Screenshot_20220905_231826.jpg

Last edited:

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
I mean the rear frame where the tire is mounted, it has a joining part between the tire and the seat tube that hits the seat tube if too much travel. But i only can say this on the 2021 model as the 22 has different frame, situation might be different.

View attachment 96488

Thanks. Hopefully it will never touch with my 62.5. To be honest I think it's a mile away on my bike in the low position but the frame does look the same as yours. Is yours an large too?

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
Thanks. Hopefully it will never touch with my 62.5. To be honest I think it's a mile away on my bike in the low position but the frame does look the same as yours. Is yours an large too?
My bike is xl. That picture was just showing the part that might hit. I'll take pictures after work.

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
Thanks...we await the photos.
Sorry _almost_ forgot 😁

I gauged that with a 4.5 mm drillbit. I'm pretty sure that even as it looks the shock is bottomed out, there might still be some movement left and since the leverage ratio is 2.4 it could get really close on hard bottom out.
So to be safe i'm going to glue a piece of broken Magic Mary there to give some cushion.

IMG_20220907_183232.jpg

IMG_20220907_183257.jpg

IMG_20220907_183307.jpg

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
I presume you mean this part of the frame? If so it's an absolute mile away on mine. Is the frame section there completely different to yours? Could you take a pic further away for us....like this?

1662594267141.png

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
I've just put the 2 photos together and the 2022 Rail 5 gap between seat post and the lateral join you mentioned looks a lot further away compared to a 2021 Rail 7.
1662595166066.png

What does your ruler say? Could you take a photo like this?

1662595727507.png

1662595163726.png

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
By letting the air out? I can only get it so far by bouncing on it in situ.
If you are going to use more than the 57,5 mm strike, yes i really suggest you check clearance thoroughly.

Let all the air out and carefully compress the suspension until the shock itself is fully compressed.
This is the only way to find out if something is not clearing.

When i tested mine i noticed that with mino link low you could get away with 60mm shock travel, but 62,5 was already almost hitting, and then you need to take account that In a bottom out situation things flex, so you want to have some room for it.

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
If you are going to use more than the 57,5 mm strike, yes i really suggest you check clearance thoroughly.

Let all the air out and carefully compress the suspension until the shock itself is fully compressed.
This is the only way to find out if something is not clearing.

When i tested mine i noticed that with mino link low you could get away with 60mm shock travel, but 62,5 was already almost hitting, and then you need to take account that In a bottom out situation things flex, so you want to have some room for it.

Well from just looking at it when I bounced up and down I could tell it would be an absolute mile away on full compression. It was so obvious that if some volume spacers hadn't turned up today I wouldn't have bothered letting the air out.

This is how it looked with no air in and after I sat on it:

1662658542820.png

And this si the measurement:

1662658622079.png

Like I said, nowhere near on my 2022 Rail 5. I could easily go to a 65 with no clearance issues in my opinion. I hope this helps people in the future, but to conclude....the 62.5 fits with the standard Rockshox hardware and has no clearance issues anywhere. Fully checked with no air in and on track with a decent impact landing or 2. Here's an example of what I'm doing with no issues from the shock:

Big thanks to Viserys with the no1 most helpful post on this thread:

I have fitted a 230 x60mm x2 to my rail 5. The standard non trunnion one. All the mountings from the rockshox shock can be swapped over to the x2 including the bushes. The bolts straight in.

And thanks to everyone who contributed as we can now see the difference and issues the older framed bikes have vs the newer, and we can also see how unhelpful a certain expert shop was, who basically knew nothing and were full of incorrect information steering me in the wrong direction. As usual, a forum is the best place to ask. "Yeah boy" As they say...

1662659611275.png

1662659587457.png

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
Well from just looking at it when I bounced up and down I could tell it would be an absolute mile away on full compression. It was so obvious that if some volume spacers hadn't turned up today I wouldn't have bothered letting the air out.

This is how it looked with no air in and after I sat on it:

View attachment 96745

And this si the measurement:

View attachment 96746

Like I said, nowhere near on my 2022 Rail 5. I could easily go to a 65 with no clearance issues in my opinion. I hope this helps people in the future, but to conclude....the 62.5 fits with the standard Rockshox hardware and has no clearance issues anywhere. Fully checked with no air in and on track with a decent impact landing or 2. Here's an example of what I'm doing with no issues from the shock:

Big thanks to Viserys with the no1 most helpful post on this thread:

And thanks to everyone who contributed as we can now see the difference and issues the older framed bikes have vs the newer, and we can also see how unhelpful a certain expert shop was, who basically knew nothing and were full of incorrect information steering me in the wrong direction. As usual, a forum is the best place to ask. "Yeah boy" As they say...

View attachment 96749

View attachment 96747
Now come to think of it, they said rail 22 has steeper seat tube, so that probably is the main reason.

As certain powerplant manager would say: "excellent" 👍

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
DHX2 coil shock going on tomorrow. 230 x 65.

2.608 x 65 = 169.52 travel according to what I learned in this thread, but on other threads I've seen people say it' equates to 160mm of travel. Which is correct?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles