Fox Live electronic suspension

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
This is an interesting development.

I wonder which EMTB’s we will see it on first?

Review: Fox Live Valve Suspension - Pinkbike

Pinkbike's Take:
bigquotes-left.png
Fox was right to wait until Live Valve was thoroughly proven before they released it. I imagined that I'd be concluding with a carefully scripted paragraph that weighed its astronomical retail price against its potential benefits. The bottom line is that Live Valve represents the most useful and important suspension innovation to emerge during a decade of boring gradual improvements. It works great, and I don't want to ride without it.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Incremental upgrades? Pinkbike have clearly forgotten how shitty air forks were before rock shox released the pike in '14ish

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I haven't used a lockout or climb mode on any suspension part I've owned in probably 20 years, so saving me fiddle time or having to check if my shocks are open certainly isn't worth an extra $2,000. On the other hand, it sounds like you could design a bike with kinematics for descending only, then let the shock support it when under power, which when coupled with a motor, could make for an exciting ebike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
anyone remember noleen/K2 doing the a similar system back in the 90s?

no?

Exactly ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Pretty sure Fox also had a mechanical version of this floating around last decade?

I can see this making its way on to an e-bike and taking power from the battery

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. probably a Pivot shuttle with Di2, powermeter cranks and any other gadget that can run off the battery just so they can clickbait the fuck out of having a $20000 mountainbike in their line up ;)

The only electric accessory I really want is a cheap way of running chinese LED lights off the port on the shimano display unit

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I had one of those Lapierres with the electric shock. Seemed like more trouble than it was worth. The tech is impressive, but I don’t think it’s something that’s going to have widespread adoption with it’s very steep price tag.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't want my shock settings changing at all during a ride no matter whether I'm riding fast rough DH, steep tech, smooth n flowy, jumpy bermy or climbing. I'm really finicky about how I like my suspension set up and what I want is consistency. Every mountain bike I own has great pedalling characteristics so I don't feel any need to use the pedal or lockout settings on the shock or fork. Even on the road. An electronics program trying to decide what's best for the rider while riding is a shit idea as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't want a shockwiz to suggest settings for me either.

The only aplication for electronics in a shock I'd be genuinely interested in would be a self regulating damping port controller to adjust settings to compensate for when a shock overheats on a long rough DH track keeping the shockperformance consistent. But I'd only really be interested in this feature on a DH bike. Not that I ride DH anywhere near enough these days to ever pay a huge premium for it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I kind of agree with you in that i like to find a set up and then not touch my shocks, i think looking out the rear shock is kind of uneccassary on an EMTB anyway. If i was into XC in a big wy i can see the benefit of being able to remotely lock the shocks but its never been something i have seen any benefit in for the riding i do.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
How many of you have driven vehicles with electronic suspension control and then switched it totally off ? You will be surprised just how good its become.

Electronic suspension for emtbs is in its infancy, give it a few generations and you guys with unlimited deep pockets will be looking for the next bauble as it will be on even the mid range bikes.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
How many of you have driven vehicles with electronic suspension control and then switched it totally off ? You will be surprised just how good its become.

Electronic suspension for emtbs is in its infancy, give it a few generations and you guys with unlimited deep pockets will be looking for the next bauble as it will be on even the mid range bikes.

There's something disturbing about the way a modern 4x4 ignores input when the stability control / traction control / electronic suspension et al gets confused by an intentional drift through a corrugated corner. It's terrifying when an overweight adv motorbike decides it knows better than you halfway down heart attack hill.

So having owned a 2018 giant and seen multiple giant cr@p failures.....nah, I might wait a few generations

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
There's something disturbing about the way a modern 4x4 ignores input when the stability control / traction control / electronic suspension et al gets confused by an intentional drift through a corrugated corner. It's terrifying when an overweight adv motorbike decides it knows better than you halfway down heart attack hill.

So having owned a 2018 giant and seen multiple giant cr@p failures.....nah, I might wait a few generations
Agree but you are probably a better driver than most, intentionally putting the vehicle into a situation where the human is quicker reacting than the preprogrammed factory settings. What I would bet though is that over one hour of driving, the electronic suspension will be quicker than you.

And thats the crux, to a really good rider who knows how to set up a suspension correctly, electronics are probably not needed. To the other 99% of riders, good electronic suspension may well be better than their attempts to setup said suspension. But do consider data input from idiots in any computer system will lead to idiotic output, any setup by a factory is only going to be as good as the technicians doing the design.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles