Fox factory 38

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It is a common comment it seems that the Fox 38 is too harsh...........indeed many reviewers say they set it up with all compression setting set to zero. The Fox 38 is after all the top of the range Enduro fork designed to be ridden hard on pretty harsh terrain.
I have the E Bike tuned version at 180 on one bike and the non ebike tuned 160 on another bike. The 180 is set fairly close to Ridefox recommendation except for air pressure which is set a little lower. It rides like a magic carpet but with plenty of ramp up.
I have spent ages trying to make my 160 as plush yet as supportive as the 180 and I think I have finally cracked it!! Settings are nowhere near Ridefox recommendations! What I found was that the relationship between air pressure and damping is very critical. I set SAG at 25% using 2 tokens then set LSC and LSR both on 6 from open/fast, HSR and HSC both on 3 from open/fast (although I completely open HSC until/unless i am hitting jump lines or drops). I am mostly doing forest gravity runs with small/moderate drops and jumps rather than bike park type jump lines. On these settings and at my weight the fork is plush with no bottom outs

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I agree, that’s what my son & I are doing since we already have 38’s on our ride, so we’ll just do the drop-in whereas I believe alchemist was saying he was looking to buy new fork which is why I advised getting 2024 model 38.

I just put a 2025 Fox 36 with the new X2 cartridge on my Santa Cruz Hightower. Took it out on its first ride today, and even for not having my clickers perfectly dialed yet (or maybe I do?), the fork was NOTICEABLY more planted in the chop than the Fox 36 with the Grip 2 cartridge. Very impressed after one ride. Will report again in a couple weeks.

Pedec

Mar 17, 2024
Weyburn,Canada
Air pressure make a huge difference. What I do is set air pressure to what is recommend for my weight on both fork and shock with rebound and compression set at mid position. I have 36 factory grip4 e-tuned suspension. Then I go to the trail I know well with the biggest jumps and demand the most travel and suspension demands. At the end of run see how much travel I used. With my forks they felt very harsh at recommended air pressure 105 psi for my weight but yet sag was still ok 25%. So I drop air pressure 5 psi in both and ride same trail again till I use up travel. I got down to 80 psi on fork before it was bottoming out. Went up 85psi and was good sag 30% now. Just adjusted clickers after that to fine it. Feels really good now

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles