Fox dpx2 help PLEASE

Reaper

Feb 12, 2021
Vancouver
I have a 2020 dpx2 with a purple air token in it. (.20 in)To get 25% sag I have to put 300lbs air in it . I thought this is a little excessive. Is this okay? I serviced the air can and no change.
i weigh 175lbs and the Ebike is about 50lbs

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’ve got the DPS float and had to put around 330 psi in for 25% sag. Almost at its max limit

I even had to buy the Rockshox 600 psi pump for the job as my other only went up to 300 psi

Rides ideal now, no bottoming out, firm on drops but nice & plush on rocks & roots

Reaper

Feb 12, 2021
Vancouver
In my kit I weigh 92kg (202lbs) At first, I needed 330psi to get 30% sag vs the Fox estimate of 206psi. After re-inflating the correct way I only needed 230psi.
Thanks for the help. Tried equalizing three times at different pressures and still the same result. Am I missing something? It seems to work just fine at 300lbs I just don’t have any referenc point as it’s my first real mtb

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks for the help. Tried equalizing three times at different pressures and still the same result. Am I missing something? It seems to work just fine at 300lbs I just don’t have any referenc point as it’s my first real mtb
It has never happened to me (so far) but I have read that grease can harden and block oil or air pathways and cause the problem you are having. Someone who really knows may respond to this prompt and give a correct answer.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I have a 2020 dpx2 with a purple air token in it. (.20 in)To get 25% sag I have to put 300lbs air in it .

When you go to a smaller volume spacer, more pressure will be required to obtain a given amount of sag. Do you know the size of the spacer that came from the factory? Put that spacer back in the shock, set the sag again, and note the pressure. Use that to decide on how much spacer/pressure/sag you want to run.

Reaper

Feb 12, 2021
Vancouver
When you go to a smaller volume spacer, more pressure will be required to obtain a given amount of sag. Do you know the size of the spacer that came from the factory? Put that spacer back in the shock, set the sag again, and note the pressure. Use that to decide on how much spacer/pressure/sag you want to run.
It has the purple spacer which I believe is the smallest. (.20) should I go to a bigger spacer?
as I said the performance seems fine

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
I hate that shock for that reason, crazy high PSI required to have proper sag and you need to have an high pressure pump.

Running 100 less PSI since I switched the shock to a Super Deluxe.

I believe it's not as worse with the new Float X.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Reaper, the Fox DPX2 has a maximum pressure of 350 PSI. As long as you are not exceeding 350 psi and the shock is functioning correctly, i.e. rebound, compression, ride quality, etc., I wouldn't worry about it.

I do think 300 PSI at your weight is a bit too much. It should be lower and maybe you should check your rear suspension to make sure the pivot bearings are not somewhat frozen/stiff and throwing things off. To check your pivot bearings, put the bike in a stand or turn it upside down. Remove your rear shock and rear wheel. Move the rear linkage up and down. It should move smoothly and not feel stiff and gritty. If the suspension does feel frozen/stiff, then service the pivot bearings and linkage. If you have a lot of hours on the shock, consider sending the shock in for a full service at Fox or other suspension business.

I would not get too wrapped up in an "Exacting" sag. You are allowed to have more or less sag, it's a personal thing and not written in stone. As an example, you can run 280 PSI and have 30% sag as long as it works for your riding style and trails you ride. Instead of PSI, concentrate instead on shock performance. Does the rear suspension feel overly stiff and harsh at 300 PSI, Does the suspension feel too plush at 300 PSI? The volume spacer you use will effect shock air pressure, ride quality and sag.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
It has the purple spacer which I believe is the smallest. (.20) should I go to a bigger spacer?
as I said the performance seems fine

I can't really say what you "should" do. Setting up suspensions is a continual experiment, and there are a lot of variables in play. But like I said, my first step would be going back to whatever spacer was originally installed.

In my opinion, most bikes come with more volume spacers than the majority of riders need, so you might find that the best setup for you is going to be somewhere between 0.2 and the original. A set of spacers costs $20, and you'll probably want to get some Float Fluid because you waste a little each time you switch things around.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles