Fork upgrade? CUBE STEREO HYBRID 160 HPC RACE 625 27.5

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
MTB Newbie.
Current forks on the CUBE are RockShox 35 Silver, Tapered, 15x110mm, 160mm.

Went out on my friends Specialized eMTB recently, with some rather expensive FOX forks and it felt a lot better on the rough stuff and going down hill. Less chatter and gave more confidence.

Thinking of upgrading the Rockshox Silver 35's. Local bike shop recommend Rockshox Lyric as an upgrade, looking on eBay they are reasonable secondhand in mint condition.

What would you get for a fork upgrade?
How about the FOX 36 if this would fit?
Not looking to spend £1000's!!

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
MTB Newbie.

Went out on my friends Specialized eMTB recently, with some rather expensive FOX forks and it felt a lot better on the rough stuff and going down hill. Less chatter and gave more confidence.

Thinking of upgrading the Rockshox Silver 35's. Local bike shop recommend Rockshox Lyric as an upgrade, looking on eBay they are reasonable secondhand in mint condition.

The higher up the range you go whether Fox or RS etc the better damper systems you get together with more user adjustment ( high and low speed compression/high and low speed rebound). In my experience it also matters how well the fork is maintained....so buying second hand is a risk if there is no proof of professional servicing. Forks sold second hand may also have a tune specific to whatever bike they were originally supplied with ( OEM)......and if the fork is off an EMTB it is likely to have a fairly firm tune.
My advice would be to buy new and go as high in the range of whatever you select as your budget will allow. A new factory fork will have a medium tune throughout which to my mind gives the greatest oppportunity for an average weight rider that is not doing radical jumps and drops etc, to get a good set up.
Fox 36 would be good.........performance elite model would be great.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
It's very easy to clean forks up to look mint, you've no idea what the internals are like. If you buy second hand factor in sending them off for a service.

KDillonK

Aug 7, 2022
Washington, USA
MTB Newbie.

I upgraded to a Fox 38 Factory Grip2, 27.5 and it worked great. I subsequently switch to a 29er for a mullet setup (another post on that). Again went with the 38 Factory Grip2. The Silver 35 wasn't a bad shock, though it was tough to tune for more aggressive riding and rougher terrain.

I advise that when you buy a used fork, price your offer with the plan to rebuild it. Get it rebuilt at a reputable, competent place and now you're about as good as new.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles