First eMTB and it's a Cube Stereo hybrid 160 hpc race 625

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
Should hopefully be getting a Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 hpc race 625 this weekend. First time eMTB.
Could you give me some does/dont's, avoids, change that etc.
Cleaning, does this differ from my current 2020 Calbra Bossnut?
Essentials during a ride above a non e-bike?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Hmm.
Good question.
Firstly learn to change gears with minimal pressure on the pedals. (Similar to normal mountainbikes, but more important)
Don't pressure wash your bike, particularly around the crank area.
Start your rides in Eco, or motor off to get used to the bike weight, then use the motor modes sparingly, then you can ride much further / higher and get fitter.
When you store your battery or between rides, ideally keep it at about 40 - 80% charged. Battery will last longer.
I got a timer where I can charge for 1 or 2 hours before the power is turned off.
Upgrades out of the box that I did,
1620637130734.png

Otherwise just get out there and have fun.

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
Great answer, thank you.

Can I ask, why I should have minimal pressure on the pedals when changing gear?

Can the battery be charged on the bike, or, is the preference to charge the battery off the bike?

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Helps to reduce the wear on chainring, chain and cassette.

The battery can be charged both on and off the bike. Most of the time I do mine indoors off the bike.
If you're picking up from an actual store they should show the general operation of assist modes, battery removal etc.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Great answer, thank you.

Can I ask, why I should have minimal pressure on the pedals when changing gear?

Can the battery be charged on the bike, or, is the preference to charge the battery off the bike?
As MrPeaski said, it will prolong the life of your gears. This is the same with a normal bike, but with an e-MTB you have the combined power from the motor and from your legs, so if you change gears under power that is putting a huge amount of stress on your chain and gears. The chain is being bent, and caught by the tooth of the next gear ring, so in a worst case scenario, it could bend or break teeth off.
I leave mine in the bike most of the time.
Another thing, is in winter if your bike is in a cold garage or something, then take the battery inside.

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
Thank you.
I know about the cold battery charging. My wife's car is electric and doesn't charge as well in cold weather. So when below 10° I will charge in the house.

Not particularly happy with the sensor mounted on the rear wheel, I can see this getting hit by objects and moving or worse coming off. Is there another solution?

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Its not the best sensor position in the world (aesthetically), but I've had my 160 AT for about 8 months and had rocks and god knows what else thrown up and hit the frame, cranks and wheel rims but nothing has come into contact with the sensor.

A friend of mine has the 2020 140 HPC Race for about a year, and he's never mentioned anything hitting it.

It shouldn't be an issue

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Think the sensor is fine once you have it tight and with some Loctite. Keep a spare in your ride pack. It definitely looks poor but it does the same job. I have no issues so far on my 140 SL.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Thank you.
I know about the cold battery charging. My wife's car is electric and doesn't charge as well in cold weather. So when below 10° I will charge in the house.

Not particularly happy with the sensor mounted on the rear wheel, I can see this getting hit by objects and moving or worse coming off. Is there another solution?
After a re-read, I realise now you were commenting on the position of the magnet on a spoke, instead of being integrated into a brake rotor like a couple of other manufacturers.

My original reply still stands though. My wheel magnet hasn't moved nor been hit by anything. Neither has the sensor itself that is attached to the inside of the chainstay.

I did early on make sure that the screw that holds it to the spoke was tight though.

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
Cheers all.

Collected today. I have fitted DMR V11 pedals, set up the suspension and blanked off the water bottle holder screw holes. Will get a front marsh gaurd tomorrow.
Lots of manuals with the bike except how to use the Bosh display/controller, so will do some Google searching tonight (doesn't look over complicated).
Sun, rain, hail.... I'm going for a ride tomorrow ?

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Welcome to the Cube club
Once you've had your fun today, there's a tiny little mod you can do to make the bash guard last longer.

At the bottom of the battery cover are 2 hex bolts that hold the front section of the bash guard on.
From the factory, they don't have a washer between the bolt and plastic of the guard, sometimes they are even overtightened and so deform the plastic.
Find a couple of washers as wide as will fit and put them between the bolt and plastic (y)

index.jpg

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the Cube club
Once you've had your fun today, there's a tiny little mod you can do to make the bash guard last longer.

At the bottom of the battery cover are 2 hex bolts that hold the front section of the bash guard on.
From the factory, they don't have a washer between the bolt and plastic of the guard, sometimes they are even overtightened and so deform the plastic.
Find a couple of washers as wide as will fit and put them between the bolt and plastic (y)

View attachment 61576
Excellent, thank you, I'll nip in the garage now and have a look?

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the Cube club

View attachment 61576
Done ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles