Fork choice?

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
I’d say worth it. I’m in the US, and for the converted value of $422, you would not be able to buy a new 38 Performance here.
Frankly, that Rockshox 35RL is just a subpar cost cutting measure for OEMs to slap on their bikes and keep price down. It would maybe work for my wife who maybe hits 1 trail every 3 years. No one would actually buy one for a build. But they would swap up to a Fox 38.
+1 to this. The 35RL is essentially a disposable fork that you can't upgrade.

Going from an economy fork to mid-range fork is a massive difference (for example moving from a 35RL to a base-model Zeb/Pike/Lyrik, base-model Fox 36/38, or Marzocchi z1 which is essentially a Fox 36).

Going from a mid-level to a high-level fork has diminishing returns for the price IMHO unless you're an advanced rider/racer who needs greater performance and tuning.

I like to service my own suspension and tend to favor Rockshox which seem to design more user-serviceable products.

SGS

Jan 5, 2021
Sydney
I went from a FOX 34 Float Rhythm 29, E-Bike on my Focus Jam2 to a Fox Factory 38 and it transformed the bike - no more flexy front end. I also reduced the rake from 51mm to 44mm and increased the travel by 10mm - made the bike more stable and it handles better

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I went from a FOX 34 Float Rhythm 29, E-Bike on my Focus Jam2 to a Fox Factory 38 and it transformed the bike - no more flexy front end. I also reduced the rake from 51mm to 44mm and increased the travel by 10mm - made the bike more stable and it handles better
Yeah, from 34 noodle soup o 38, especially “Factory” level is huge jump, skipped right over 36 Factory too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles