Fork choice?

cousin jack

Oct 30, 2019
cornwall
Would it be a good move when ordering a new bike to upgrade the fork to a Fox 38 Float Performance 160 instead of a RockShox 35 Silver TK for an extra £350. My main riding is 50% tarmac 50% trails/enduro.....any advice appreciated.

JCU Delt Ox

Apr 22, 2022
Ohio, USA
Most riders and reviewers say the 35 is a very budget fork. You may do better looking for a take-off 38 Performance instead. Many times riders will pull the stock fork before a ride and you can save hundreds. I don't think anyone could argue the 38 isn't an upgrade.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Would it be a good move when ordering a new bike to upgrade the fork to a Fox 38 Float Performance 160 instead of a RockShox 35 Silver TK for an extra £350.
Yes. Are there any other options?

cousin jack

Oct 30, 2019
cornwall
Yes. Are there any other options?
This was the only other fork offered on the orbea wild fs H20 2023,from what i've managed to google.....the 38 performance is a better fork but only a mediocre improvement....was just wondering if it was worth the extra £350.

cousin jack

Oct 30, 2019
cornwall
Most riders and reviewers say the 35 is a very budget fork. You may do better looking for a take-off 38 Performance instead. Many times riders will pull the stock fork before a ride and you can save hundreds. I don't think anyone could argue the 38 isn't an upgrade.
thanks for the reply......appreciated.

Armor11

Dec 26, 2022
BC, Canada
Would it be a good move when ordering a new bike to upgrade the fork to a Fox 38 Float Performance 160 instead of a RockShox 35 Silver TK for an extra £350. My main riding is 50% tarmac 50% trails/enduro.....any advice appreciated.
The route I took to upgrade the forks on my Levo Comp Alloy was to look on PinkBike and I found a new set of 2022 Fox Factory 36's for great deal, from someone local who ended up not building his bike. You may have to wait awhile and do some continuous searching but a deal will come up. Lots of "lightly ridden" choices on there as well.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Fox 38 is a hell of a fork, no doubt about it. The question is, "do you really need one that good?" Be honest with yourself; are you a hard charging rider that gives the bike hell on rough downhill trails, with lots of big drops? Or are you like most of the rest of us, an OK to good trail rider that does steep hard stuff now and again?

In my riding kit I weigh 92 kg and have done for years, I was very happy with the Rockshox Pike forks that I had in various trims. The Pike is a 35mm stanchion and it is a robust and very good fork. It is cheaper and lighter than the Fox 38. For a bit more money you could get a Rockshox Lyric, another very good 35mm fork.

If you are fixated on Fox, then you don't have to get a 38, Fox provides a 36 that comes in a variety of trims to suit your fettling needs.

cousin jack

Oct 30, 2019
cornwall
The route I took to upgrade the forks on my Levo Comp Alloy was to look on PinkBike and I found a new set of 2022 Fox Factory 36's for great deal, from someone local who ended up not building his bike. You may have to wait awhile and do some continuous searching but a deal will come up. Lots of "lightly ridden" choices on there as well.
thanks......may be the way to go.

cousin jack

Oct 30, 2019
cornwall
The Fox 38 is a hell of a fork, no doubt about it. The question is, "do you really need one that good?" Be honest with yourself; are you a hard charging rider that gives the bike hell on rough downhill trails, with lots of big drops? Or are you like most of the rest of us, an OK to good trail rider that does steep hard stuff now and again?

In my riding kit I weigh 92 kg and have done for years, I was very happy with the Rockshox Pike forks that I had in various trims. The Pike is a 35mm stanchion and it is a robust and very good fork. It is cheaper and lighter than the Fox 38. For a bit more money you could get a Rockshox Lyric, another very good 35mm fork.

If you are fixated on Fox, then you don't have to get a 38, Fox provides a 36 that comes in a variety of trims to suit your fettling needs.
I don't think I really need an all singing all dancing fork for the sort of riding I do.....it's just that the fork supplied with the bike is a RockShox 35 Silver TK and I just happened to notice a lot of negative comments about it.....so the other fork Orbea are offering is a fox 38 performance for an extra £350......just wondering if it was worth it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Well, you would certainly notice the difference! I haven't checked prices on the 'net, but another £350 sounds good value to me. Is that the only upgrade option? £350 is a lot of money.

Compare prices for the Rockshox and the Fox and they will be more than £350 apart for certain.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you go for Fox it is best selecting the Performance Elite, if you go for RS, the Ultimate is the best choice. It sounds like the Fox 38 may be overkill for you. As a bove I would go for the Fox 36 or RS Lyric ( for either get their top of the range option). Fox 38 is a full on Enduro fork, stiff but heavy.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I think the question is not whether you need a 38 fork to start with, the question is will you want a fork like this in the future as you become a better more adventurous rider? You can't say you will now, but at the same time you can't say you won't in the future. So go the safe route and assume you will in the future.

PS Are you Cousin Jack from RTTL?

cousin jack

Oct 30, 2019
cornwall
I think the question is not whether you need a 38 fork to start with, the question is will you want a fork like this in the future as you become a better more adventurous rider? You can't say you will now, but at the same time you can't say you won't in the future. So go the safe route and assume you will in the future.

PS Are you Cousin Jack from RTTL?
thanks for the reply.....and all cornishmen are known as "cousin jacks"

cousin jack

Oct 30, 2019
cornwall
If you go for Fox it is best selecting the Performance Elite, if you go for RS, the Ultimate is the best choice. It sounds like the Fox 38 may be overkill for you. As a bove I would go for the Fox 36 or RS Lyric ( for either get their top of the range option). Fox 38 is a full on E

If you go for Fox it is best selecting the Performance Elite, if you go for RS, the Ultimate is the best choice. It sounds like the Fox 38 may be overkill for you. As a bove I would go for the Fox 36 or RS Lyric ( for either get their top of the range option). Fox 38 is a full on Enduro fork, stiff but heavy.
unfortunately the only upgrade option is the fox 38 performance for an extra £350

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
The 38 is the best fork I have ever used period. I was riding a Float 36 on my previous bike. The 38 is better! Don't get me wrong the 36 is one hella good fork. But for the Wild definitely the 38. My buddy just bought a bike with a RS 35 and he hates it.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I would upgrade for 350, seems like a good deal to me.

If you were to sell the rs35 gold, you would probably get £200 for it (I recently sold the one that came with my bike for this - never ridden), I dont think you would be able to buy a new 38 for £550 (£200 for the gold 35 plus £350 for the upgrade) - so it sounds like a good deal to me.

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
As someone who rode the better part of a Year on the 35RL, I‘d recommend upgrading. I swapped mine for a mid-level fork (Marzocchi Z1) and the difference was profound.

The 35 series is an overall harsh fork that I couldn’t get to work right. It had a noticeable ‘klunk’ at the top of the stroke which made it seem that the headset was loose. Plus the rebound adjustment was essentially nonexistent.

Also the 35RL has terrible resale value here in the colonies, I sold mine for $90US after months on Pinkbike & FB.

Last edited:

cousin jack

Oct 30, 2019
cornwall
As someone who rode the better part of a Year on the 35RL, I‘d recommend upgrading. I swapped mine for a mid-level fork (Marzocchi Z1) and the difference was profound.

The 35 series is an overall harsh fork that I couldn’t get to work right. It had a noticeable ‘klunk’ at the top of the stroke which made it seem that the headset was loose. Plus the rebound adjustment was essentially nonexistent.

Also the 35RL has terrible resale value here in the colonies, I sold mine for $90US after months on Pinkbike & FB.
thanks for the reply.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I know a couple of guys using the 38 Performance and they're good. They lack a bit of small bump compliance. Still way better.
Way better for sure, the "Silver TK" should definitely be avoided! 😳

TK = Turn Key damper. It is either open or locked out. RL has the Motion control damper. 5 or 6 different compression setting from open to close.

Last edited:

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
Este viernes puse una horquilla Yaris 150 mm 51 offset (440€), sube mejor, baja mucho mejor. Su comportamiento es muy similar al del Spectral ON 2018.

IMG_20230211_182734.jpg

Last edited:

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Depending on the bike and suspension travel (as well as how aggressive you ride) you may also want to consider Fox 36, I’d look for either in their version running Grip 2 damper.
Being “over-forked” where you won’t be using more of the travel and don’t need ultimate stiffness won’t give you best ride/fun balance.

YZDude

Aug 28, 2022
Eagan, MN USA
I’d say worth it. I’m in the US, and for the converted value of $422, you would not be able to buy a new 38 Performance here.
Frankly, that Rockshox 35RL is just a subpar cost cutting measure for OEMs to slap on their bikes and keep price down. It would maybe work for my wife who maybe hits 1 trail every 3 years. No one would actually buy one for a build. But they would swap up to a Fox 38.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles