Focus Sam2 6.8 First ride

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
First ride out on it yesterday. I know we all love a new toy, but it is incredibly capable. Powers up anything with ease, battery only dropped one bar out of 5 and I was out for 3 hours in emtb/Turbo mode. It chews up anything my limited skill level can throw at it.
The motor is quiet and very efficient in emtb mode. You do have to be in the right gear as there is clearly a torque limiter if you try and apply too much power in too high gear up hill.
It's no lightweight at 26 kgs, but I had no idea of the weight when riding or jumping, and I now have to break for sharp switch backs when climbing (that will take some getting used too...)
Its like someones thrown an anchor out at 15 mph though. Typical of all UK bikes, so not specific, but i find 15-20 is ideal for me, so a bit annoying. I know there is an easy fix for this, but we'll see.

I was a bit concerned about the air shock on a heavy bike, but didn't want to be fiddling with different coils, but it was very good. Nice and comfy and didn't bottom out once. Second half of the travel is very progressive, so I may be able to take some air out or remove some spacers (not sure if any are in there)
ZEB forks are the base model Charger R, but are still very good. I'm 90/95 kgs and there was no flex that I could detect. I'm no Fox fan as I prefer the simplicity and parts being readily available for rockshox, and I don't spend anywhere near enough time on a bike to dial in all the Fox settings (and I don't care enough to put the time in LOL)
The single up and down shift for emtbs is great, and it still works fast enough. Code R breaks were amazing after I bled them properly (don't rely on Rutland to send it 'ready to ride')

Chain stay protector is great shape and right where it needs to be, until it starts to come un-stuck. Not great for first ride, but a small cable tie in the right spot is a discrete and easy fix.

Purion display is a little '80's casio', but I like it. Easy to read an operate and tells you everything you need to know at a glance so you don't hit a tree!.

Overall, I'm really impressed. Would have preferred Maxxis tyres, but will cross that bridge when/if I mullet it

I'm 185cm and on a Large.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Its like someones thrown an anchor out at 15 mph though
:LOL: Its a bit of a surprise isnt it. But you kind of get used to it a bit and can increase that with a bit more effort. I have a habit though of peddling till i hit the max speed, then coasting till the speed drops below the 15.5 mph then doing a couple of turns on the pedals to bring it up to the max and repeating that system, rather than selecting a gear and cadence and continually pedaling.
" Purion display is a little '80's Casio', but I like it. ""
Spot on description, and I also like it. And I like the way its at your hand rather than sat in the middle where you must lift a hand off the bar for a period of time to adjust it. Of course you must let go with the purion too, only youre right next to the grip,and you can balance a few fingers on the bar to keep yourself steady in a more natural position.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
glad you are enjoying your emtb.
ps...there is no "torque limiter". What you experience if climbing in too high a gear is a drop in cadence to the point where you get less motor assist. Most of the current popular motors work most efficiently when the cadence is c 70 so for climbs you really need to be in a gear you can spin and maintain that cadence. The bike then becomes a veritable mountain goat!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Huw169 In addition to the good advice from @Mikerb, there is a good tip on gear shifting that may not have occurred to you already.

When climbing and you find yourself in that position where you really want an easier gear, but if you back off the power to shift (always advised), you will lose momentum. What to do? Simples; move up one power mode. That will provide a surge of speed so that you can then back off and shift to the easier gear.

Edit: Of course, we all know that you should be scanning the trail ahead and ensuring that you are always in the correct gear. But for those few occasions when you have been surprised, see above. :)

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
Yes, makes sense. Maybe I was close to the 15 mpg on occasion too.
Was in emtb mode so it is effectively in auto, just need to spin a bit faster.

Tattoobloke

Oct 30, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne
Glad your liking the new bike. Had mine 3 weeks now and can't believe how good it is.Ive made mine mullet and makes a massive difference to handling. I did 5120 feet of climbing and 28mile before battery died so was happy with that

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
Glad your liking the new bike. Had mine 3 weeks now and can't believe how good it is.Ive made mine mullet and makes a massive difference to handling. I did 5120 feet of climbing and 28mile before battery died so was happy with that
Nice.
I’ve got a Mavic Deemax DH to go mullet as soon as the new freehub arrives. Did you switch the flip chip. Im going to leave as is to start with.
Was getting to grips with its jumping ability yesterday and I’m almost there with the rear shock tuning. Really enjoying it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles