Focus Sam headset

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
So I own one and am slightly disturbed , no not because the cable routing would have been easier to do if I had routed it through my own body and out of my anus but that the replacement solution actually needs a 62mm diameter top cover for a zs56 top cup

I have bought a pair of purple no less cups to press in instead of the acros versions, and a stem that is standard, this would have sufficed had my original plan to run the cables into the ports on the downtube been enough , it then transpires I need to order from focus a top cap larger than most toilet seats to cover the top headset bearing which bizarrely then comes with 3 sets of bungs to continue to utilise the plethora of spacers created by trying still to run the cables and pipes through the gap.between the bearing and steerer as per their recommend

my question before I break out my CNC machines to create said spacers and a much less complex top cap……. Is there anything available off the shelf that isn’t just a faff?

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
Yes I ended up machining a custom cap so I didn’t have to take the thing to pieces you have to drop the motor to get the plug to get the cable through first time round but once you have you won’t need to do it again

Last edited:

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Yes I ended up machining a custom cap so I didn’t have to take the thing to pieces you have to drop the motor to get the plug to get the cable through but once you have you won’t need to do it again

It’s definitely not the best design from focus, I don’t need to change mine yet but I’m sure it will need doing in the future , I already have my brake lines re routed through the frame ports, I’m just rerouting bits as I change them for now

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
It’s definitely not the best design from focus, I don’t need to change mine yet but I’m sure it will need doing in the future , I already have my brake lines re routed through the frame ports, I’m just rerouting bits as I change them for now
To be honest with you chap I run a company that makes bike parts but this was my own personal bike , however I might offer this as a kit I just hoped someone else made one and sold one

MattBaigent

Jun 18, 2022
North Hampshire
I’ve just had my cables re routed and now looking to replace the stem and bars but I now need a new cover for the headset. Are we basically saying that nowhere sells them other than focus??? Or acros?

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
I’ve just had my cables re routed and now looking to replace the stem and bars but I now need a new cover for the headset. Are we basically saying that nowhere sells them other than focus??? Or acros?
The one they sell only works with the acros headset unless you shave the tabs off that index it to the steerer direction

Andrew426

Sep 27, 2022
New Zealand
Works components do an angle headset that presses in place of the top cup and accepts an standard sized top bearing. I think you can get one in a .5 degree if you don't want to mess with your geometry. This one on my jam2 is 1.5 degree.

IMG_20221128_202842.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles