Focus jam 2 and st unlocker

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Anyone used the basic st unlocker to show the battery state and charge cycles on their Focus ebikes?
I just have to try and see the state of the internal battery and it's showing up like this
Screenshot_20200209-182408_ST Unlocker.jpg

As you can see it's showing battery health at 100% and 0 cycles which is obviously wrong. I've had the bike 2 years and done over 3000miles on it so it's had plenty of charges. Mileage is showing different because I'm on a second motor which was swapped a year ago.
Has anyone else found this not reading the correct health? I'm thinking it's because the batteries are focuses own battery and not Shimanos !!!!

majorsn

Feb 8, 2020
Monaco
I have a Focus Bold2, ride it for a year now, and it shows the same Battery Health Status.
Theres another thread that explains it is because of Focus own Battery.

majorsn

Feb 8, 2020
Monaco
Can I ask you what the Speed Correction -5.0 does?
And the Eco on 40%? Do you get a bigger Range with that setting?

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Can I ask you what the Speed Correction -5.0 does?
And the Eco on 40%? Do you get a bigger Range with that setting?
-5.0 is for the speed accuracy reading, makes it more like my GPS Garmin Speedo reading as my bike was always reading about 1mph faster that the Garmin.

40% on eco is putting eco in medium setting so will give a little extra range, just have to pedal a little harder

majorsn

Feb 8, 2020
Monaco
-5.0 is for the speed accuracy reading, makes it more like my GPS Garmin Speedo reading as my bike was always reading about 1mph faster that the Garmin.

40% on eco is putting eco in medium setting so will give a little extra range, just have to pedal a little harder
Thanks for the Info, i will try out the medium setting on my next ride.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I believe it only reads the correct amount of cycles and health etc if you have the official shimano battery. I don't know what's in your focus but I have a simplo battery in my norco and it shows the same as yours.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
I believe it only reads the correct amount of cycles and health etc if you have the official shimano battery. I don't know what's in your focus but I have a simplo battery in my norco and it shows the same as yours.
Cheers for that, mine is a derby cycles (Focus) Battery so that's why it won't read it. I'm led to believe that no dealers have the software to read s focus battery

majorsn

Feb 8, 2020
Monaco
Hey Guys, funny thing happend today after loading Battery (Bike: Focus Bold2) I checked with the ST Unlocker and IT showed me this. Three Days ago Battery Health was at 100%

IMG_20200210_132419.jpg

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Just had mine on charge again and it will only got to 91% charge, just need to find out if this is anacceptable amount of battery degrading after 2 years and 3200miles

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Well thats not what I wanted to hear. My man from the shop made a phone call today to derby cycles and spoke to someone in Germany.
He told him the warranty wasn't with Derby Cycles but BMZ who make the batteries and I could send the battery back to them but it could cost me 100 euro if it's not a warranty.
He also said that the 90% and losing the first bar of battery quicker than usual is right with age of bike and battery.

What a fecking cop out from them.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm pretty sure that EU law says the warranty is with the person that sold you the bike. Your contract is with them. They cannot defer it to someone further down the supply chain. Can you imagine a car company doing this when the clutch fails. "Oh the clutch was made in China, we'll send it back to them for you......."

His comment that "the 90% and losing the first bar of battery quicker than usual is right with age of bike and battery" may be a fair statement, I have no idea.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
I'm pretty sure that EU law says the warranty is with the person that sold you the bike. Your contract is with them. They cannot defer it to someone further down the supply chain. Can you imagine a car company doing this when the clutch fails. "Oh the clutch was made in China, we'll send it back to them for you......."

His comment that "the 90% and losing the first bar of battery quicker than usual is right with age of bike and battery" may be a fair statement, I have no idea.

Well get this one, the dealer I bought it from Evans cycles said oh we don't deal with Focus anymore so didn't even want to go any further with a claim (mainly because they couldn't be arsed I think) so a guy I know at Tri UK sorted it for me and made the Phone call.
I emailed BMZ last night to ask if they knew of any dealers in the UK that had the appropriate diagnostic tools to test the battery properly.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Well get this one, the dealer I bought it from Evans cycles said oh we don't deal with Focus anymore so didn't even want to go any further with a claim (mainly because they couldn't be arsed I think) so a guy I know at Tri UK sorted it for me and made the Phone call.
I emailed BMZ last night to ask if they knew of any dealers in the UK that had the appropriate diagnostic tools to test the battery properly.
That is outrageous! They were happy enough to earn the money when you bought the bike from them!!

JE James are still selling Focus bikes, as are Rutland Cycling.

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
For what its worth the etubes app via link connection will provide battery state, health and cycle counts at least for genuine shimano batteries. Charge state is the current charged level of the battery. The health is the info from the battery re what it's charge capacity or capability is and will drop over time, I.e as the number of recharge cycles increases. What is normal really can depend on many factors not least of which is the original quality of the cells in the battery from new. Climate, charge profile etc are all factors. I have 2 x e8010 batteries (504wh) both have done 46 cycles and are now showing 95% health. I have noticed no noticeable reduction in range as yet. In my case equates to 6,500km total on the bike, so approx 3,250 km per battery ish..

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
For what its worth the etubes app via link connection will provide battery state, health and cycle counts at least for genuine shimano batteries. Charge state is the current charged level of the battery. The health is the info from the battery re what it's charge capacity or capability is and will drop over time, I.e as the number of recharge cycles increases. What is normal really can depend on many factors not least of which is the original quality of the cells in the battery from new. Climate, charge profile etc are all factors. I have 2 x e8010 batteries (504wh) both have done 46 cycles and are now showing 95% health. I have noticed no noticeable reduction in range as yet. In my case equates to 6,500km total on the bike, so approx 3,250 km per battery ish..
Thanks for this Derek but as I found out no one can read a focus own make (Derby cycles) battery health/charge cycles, just it's state of charge.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles