Flyon Speed Sensor

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
So when I got my first Flyon I was underwhelmed by the speed limiter and it’s inability to cut in and out at the correct speed and without me noticing it.

This was especially disappointing given Haibike’s blah about the new 18 segment speed sensor disc.

It would cut out at anything over 23kph and not drop back in again till anything between 25 and 22.

It’s only now, having got another Flyon that I realise the first one is not working/set up correctly.

The new one is fantastic. Drops out at 25kph and blends back in smoothly at, well, 25kph.

Moral of the story. Always buy two bikes

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
That’s interesting. Despite having replaced my sensor disc, power still cuts out and comes back unevenly.
Do your bikes have the same software version?

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
That’s a good point. I’ll check later. It’s really quite a revelation. The bad one is bad but not unusable and I just assumed that’s how it was and rode round it.
My LBS , a Haibike dealer, did comment that the setup of the sensor inside the frame stay is critical. I’ve not removed the cover to check yet but I will.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Thinking about it, they do both have different versions of the same tuning kit but the only difference is supposed to be Skybeemer compatibility. Let’s rule that out for now till I’ve tried to cure the bad one.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
That’s interesting. Despite having replaced my sensor disc, power still cuts out and comes back unevenly.
Do your bikes have the same software version?
I did check and both bikes have the same software version.
Quite a big difference in speed sensor mount between hard tail and full suspension.
Next job is to take a look inside the frame where the sensor is mounted. User manual gives a min 0.7mm gap to sensor disc.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
I did check and both bikes have the same software version.
Quite a big difference in speed sensor mount between hard tail and full suspension.
Next job is to take a look inside the frame where the sensor is mounted. User manual gives a min 0.7mm gap to sensor disc.
Thanks.
I am quite surprised there has not been a software update in over a year.

All4Fun

Aug 5, 2020
the Netherlands
Check for free movement of the sensor in the frame, my sensor was bent and touched the sensor disc, had to heat it up and straighten and remodel it, then it was properly adjustable.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
So I measured the gap between the sensor and the disc today. I got a reading of 1.2mm. Too big.

It looks to me as if adjustment is via the Allen head bolt inboard and the castellated nut out board. I couldn’t find a suitable tool to adjust the castellated nut so, as a temporary measure I added a washer underneath the mounting flange of the sensor to move it closer to the disc..

It now measures .71, exactly the same as my full suspension version. Hopefully I’ll get out on it tomorrow to try it.

Worth noting, very easy to clobber the speed sensor with the edge of the disc when mounting the rear wheel in the frame.

E4EBEB3F-BC7A-40A2-BBC2-543D59487BF9.jpeg

252A6BE5-C454-431B-949D-902AC9FC6C97.jpeg
09F52333-2C29-4AB2-AF80-C4F0144E8035.jpeg
DE5D6CD4-AD2A-44F1-B5B0-BA715E24538F.jpeg
6249C59D-5AEE-42AD-919C-E1FE08D954BA.jpeg

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
So just to close the loop on this, problem solved. Just been out to test it. Just like a new one. 0.7mm is the key.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I’ve still not managed to track down the correct tool for adjusting the castellated threaded insert that sits in the frame. I believe the correct method of adjusting the distance is to loosen the Allen bolt then wind the insert in/out to achieve the clearance the nip up the bolt.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles