Haibike Trekking 7 speed sensor error

DiddleSpot

Nov 17, 2022
England
Hi folks,

First time post and I’m wondering if anyone can offer some advice to help me get my ebike going again.

I bought a Haibike Trekking 7 which has a Yamaha PW-ST motor and Yamaha display in August this year.

While riding it at the start of September it threw up an error ‘SPD SNSR CHK MAGNET’ and now does not provide any assistance, except maybe for 2 seconds at the start of a ride.

The shop I bought from has closed but another Haibike dealer has been trying to fix it for me. They’ve had it plugged into a diagnostics machine and changed the speed sensor cable but with no success.

Last week they advised me to ride for 90 minutes continuously today with no assistance. I did that (95 minutes) with the display on but the assistance in the OFF mode. Having finished the ride, I turned the display off and on again and the error is still there, with the motor continuing to provide no assistance.

I’ve been without a working bike for quite a few weeks now. Any thoughts on what it could be/how to fix it? Should I have done the 90 minute ride in some other specific way? I didn’t go very far in the 90 min ride (only about 11 miles).

Many thanks for anything you can suggest to help.

Dave
EAE30EFB-5E6B-4841-99E6-B0CD7997F282.jpeg

LouCyffer

Oct 2, 2022
UK
If you bought this bike in August (I’m assuming you bought new from a retailer), and your supplying LBS has closed, I’d be getting in touch with the UK distributor for Haibike, and emailing the manufacturer. You could ask the shop currently assisting you to help or supply contact details. You have a pretty strong case under consumer law given the short duration of your ownership so reach out and I’m sure you’ll get the assistance you need (no pun intended).
Also, if you paid for this bike by credit card, you have further protection under section 76 of the consumer credit act (pretty sure the name has changed but a quick interweb search will help you).

DiddleSpot

Nov 17, 2022
England
Thanks for the reply.

I’ve had the bike in another Haibike dealer’s shop for 7-8 weeks… they’ve tried plenty but to no avail. I’d hoped the 90 minute ride would work but no cigar.

I’ve been in touch with Haibike customer service and they keep saying they’ll try to sort it work the other dealer… but it has been 2 and a half months now. I guess I was just wondering if anyone knew of this and a way they’d resolved it or a specific way the 90 minute ride should be done.

I bought it through Cyclescheme and they say they can’t help.

Grrrrrrrr.

Dave

LouCyffer

Oct 2, 2022
UK
Thanks for the reply.

I’ve had the bike in another Haibike dealer’s shop for 7-8 weeks… they’ve tried plenty but to no avail. I’d hoped the 90 minute ride would work but no cigar.

I’ve been in touch with Haibike customer service and they keep saying they’ll try to sort it work the other dealer… but it has been 2 and a half months now. I guess I was just wondering if anyone knew of this and a way they’d resolved it or a specific way the 90 minute ride should be done.

I bought it through Cyclescheme and they say they can’t help.

Grrrrrrrr.

Dave
Have you spoken to your employer about this? They have bought the bike on your behalf, so to speak, and you pay them for the use of it. This means that they have a liability under the consumer credit act. You might do well to let them know the issue you’re having.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Apologies if this sounds a silly question but have you added another magnet to the wheel for any other device?
There was another member who had an issue caused by this.

dbrodo

Feb 10, 2023
Cambridge
Hi folks,

First time post and I’m wondering if anyone can offer some advice to help me get my ebike going again.

I bought a Haibike Trekking 7 which has a Yamaha PW-ST motor and Yamaha display in August this year.

While riding it at the start of September it threw up an error ‘SPD SNSR CHK MAGNET’ and now does not provide any assistance, except maybe for 2 seconds at the start of a ride.

The shop I bought from has closed but another Haibike dealer has been trying to fix it for me. They’ve had it plugged into a diagnostics machine and changed the speed sensor cable but with no success.

Last week they advised me to ride for 90 minutes continuously today with no assistance. I did that (95 minutes) with the display on but the assistance in the OFF mode. Having finished the ride, I turned the display off and on again and the error is still there, with the motor continuing to provide no assistance.

I’ve been without a working bike for quite a few weeks now. Any thoughts on what it could be/how to fix it? Should I have done the 90 minute ride in some other specific way? I didn’t go very far in the 90 min ride (only about 11 miles).

Dave View attachment 101652
Hi Dave, me and my neighbour have exactly the same bike and had the same problem. After you've ridden for 90 minutes, you'll have to delete the error message and it should let you do it. Hope this helps. Kind regards, David

George 123

Jun 14, 2023
Nuremberg
Hi Dave, me and my neighbour have exactly the same bike and had the same problem. After you've ridden for 90 minutes, you'll have to delete the error message and it should let you do it. Hope this helps. Kind regards, David
Dude, I am in desperate situation, I have the same problem , I am in the middle of Germany. Can you give me very detailed instruction on how to fix it? What do you mean by ,, delete error message,,??

George 123

Jun 14, 2023
Nuremberg
Hi folks,

Many thanks for anything you
Hi folks,

Dave View attachment 101652
Dude, I am in desperate situation, I have the same problem , I am in the middle of Germany. Have you managed to fix it? Can you give me very detailed instruction on how to fix it? Thanks in Advance!

dbrodo

Feb 10, 2023
Cambridge
Dude, I am in desperate situation, I have the same problem , I am in the middle of Germany. Have you managed to fix it? Can you give me very detailed instruction on how to fix it? Thanks in Advance!
Dude, it turns out that if it is the same problem we discuss here, you'll have to get a new engine. My bike was for 3 month with the dealers and nothing worked. Luckily for me it was a warranty case.
Good luck and all the best.

George 123

Jun 14, 2023
Nuremberg
Dude, it turns out that if it is the same problem we discuss here, you'll have to get a new engine. My bike was for 3 month with the dealers and nothing worked. Luckily for me it was a warranty case.
Good luck and all the best.
Thank you so much for fast reply, this is very bad news but still.

dbrodo

Feb 10, 2023
Cambridge
Thank you friend! One more question- your engine worked when you pressed , assist button , this one? Because mine works. So engine is kinda not dead

View attachment 117735
Engine was never dead. It did work when I pressed the walk button. Also, when you go into the workshop menu on you Display C it has counted the wheel revolutions perfectly, so it's not the sensor. Who knows...

George 123

Jun 14, 2023
Nuremberg
Engine was never dead. It did work when I pressed the walk button. Also, when you go into the workshop menu on you Display C it has counted the wheel revolutions perfectly, so it's not the sensor. Who knows...
My display c is just stacked at mistake( mentioned before, check magnet and so on)
I can't get into the menu
I can only turn on, off and change assist mode, that's it

dbrodo

Feb 10, 2023
Cambridge
My display c is just stacked at mistake( mentioned before, check magnet and so on)
I can't get into the menu
I can only turn on, off and change assist mode, that's it
Try this: switch it off. switch on again and as soon the display boots press the on button for 10 seconds. This should get you into the workshop menu.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles