EXT e-storia

damdegraff

Oct 28, 2020
California
Anyone know what size EXT e-storia I should be ordering for my Trek Rail 9.8XT 2021 size XL? Is it Trunion or metric?

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 8.12.54 AM.png

or
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 8.17.32 AM.png

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Factory Size is Metric, 230x57.5. Your shock is a Trek Specific Trunnion version...230mm eye 2 eye shocks are not normally trunnion mount. You can try a longer stroke shock to gain travel, but if your not familiar with doing it, I wouldn't recommend it. You'll also need all new shock hardware (pin and sleeves) 10mmx54mm for top & 10mmx40mm for bottom and Trek bolt hardware..

NotSoSikMik

EXT Official Dealer
Jun 18, 2021
USA
Factory Size is Metric, 230x57.5. Your shock is a Trek Specific Trunnion version...230mm eye 2 eye shocks are not normally trunnion mount. You can try a longer stroke shock to gain travel, but if your not familiar with doing it, I wouldn't recommend it. You'll also need all new shock hardware (pin and sleeves) 10mmx54mm for top & 10mmx40mm for bottom and Trek bolt hardware..

Good information right here that can be kinda hard to search for. I work for EXT USA and we do quite a few shocks for people doing this conversion. We recommend going with the stock size and using the hardware conversion bolts from trek that can be found in the link below (2017+ full suspension upper and lower). We should have the shock mount spacers that you will need in stock. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. I am happy to help.

Trek Rear Shock Pin-to-Trunnion 16mm Head Hardware | Trek Bikes

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Keep us informed. I have XL sized Rail and interested on how e-storia fits.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Check that the shock will clear the frame, depending on size of frame and shock type the reservoir can hit the down tube. Lots of info and various members experiences with different coil shocks in this thread

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Check that the shock will clear the frame, depending on size of frame and shock type the reservoir can hit the down tube. Lots of info and various members experiences with different coil shocks in this thread

XL should be fine. It's the Medium that has problems and Large occasionally depending on the size of reservoir.

I've read the thread but not found specifically information on EXT shocks on Trek Rail XL. "Should" is not the same as "is".

Interesting if someone really tests it.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
@Hob Nob ran an EXT shock with a 45mm reservoir but I don't know what size frame he has.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I've read the thread but not found specifically information on EXT shocks on Trek Rail XL. "Should" is not the same as "is".

Interesting if someone really tests it.
It's not even released yet. Not supposed to ship until mid August. Reservior looks shorter than the Resi on the DHX2. @NotSoSikMik Do you know the dimensions of the E-Storia's reservoir?

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
@Hob Nob ran an EXT shock with a 45mm reservoir but I don't know what size frame he has.

Mine was a mongrel shock of a Storia/Arma, but it still wasn't ideal, even with the shorter reservoir. Looking at the E-Storia they have swapped the orientation of the piggyback to be a-la Ohlins so I would imagine it will be fine in terms of clearance, even on smaller bikes.

I'd still question whether a coil is the right choice on a Rail though.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Mine was a mongrel shock of a Storia/Arma, but it still wasn't ideal, even with the shorter reservoir. Looking at the E-Storia they have swapped the orientation of the piggyback to be a-la Ohlins so I would imagine it will be fine in terms of clearance, even on smaller bikes.

I'd still question whether a coil is the right choice on a Rail though.
For me the DHX2 coil felt 10 times better than the DPX2 I tried out on it and 1000 times better than the stock Deluxe that my Rail came with. It matches perfectly with the Fox 38 170 up front.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
For me the DHX2 coil felt 10 times better than the DPX2 I tried out on it and 1000 times better than the stock Deluxe that my Rail came with. It matches perfectly with the Fox 38 170 up front.

In reality I think this just shows how we all prefer different things. For me, the suspension design simply isn't supportive enough for a coil shock (even one with a hydraulic bottom out feature). In certain situations it felt great, usually riding at ~60%, but turn up the pace when having silly days out, or a bit of race pace practice, it's performance just wasn't there.

I ran an EXT, and an 11-6 & came to the same conclusion with both. Swapped out to a modified DXP2, and whilst it wasn't as supple initially, it was a noticeable improvement everywhere else. Same with the '21 Float X2.

Gman086

May 11, 2021
Portland, OR
Swapped out to a modified DXP2, and whilst it wasn't as supple initially, it was a noticeable improvement everywhere else. Same with the '21 Float X2.

Can you elaborate on what "modified" means? I know Craig Seekins is doing some nice work on DPX2's at Avy Racing and was thinking of going that route as I really need to ditch the POS RS shock on mine.

Also I've seen some X2's but everyone is keeping the same 57.5 stroke to prevent resy strike? Would really like to have at least 60mm stroke if not 65 so is the DPX2 the only air option for doing so? Will a 65mm stroke even fit on a Medium Rail?

Cheers,

G

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Can you elaborate on what "modified" means? I know Craig Seekins is doing some nice work on DPX2's at Avy Racing and was thinking of going that route as I really need to ditch the POS RS shock on mine.

Also I've seen some X2's but everyone is keeping the same 57.5 stroke to prevent resy strike? Would really like to have at least 60mm stroke if not 65 so is the DPX2 the only air option for doing so? Will a 65mm stroke even fit on a Medium Rail?

Cheers,

G
I'm running a 230x65mm 2021 Fox DHX2, 169mm rear travel that gains progressivity deeper into the travel, on a lrg aluminum Rail 7...but i'm unsure of Carbon fitment...I think resi will fit but seat stay bridge may not have clearance.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK

Cheers,

G

I'd have to ask the person who built it, but it wasn't stock internals (machined bigger piggyback etc). Felt great, but sadly wasn't overly reliable. The actual 'design' of the DPX2 from a technical perspective is pretty decent - I'd be tempted to try something by Avy or a well tuned stock one from someone like TF to see how it felt.

I ran my '21 X2 as a 60mm stroke, plenty of clearance on a large. I don't know on the medium if you will have the downtube clearance for the reservoir.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’ve been looking into the storia v3 for an Orbea rise, the 116 is quite abit more expensive at £1300 I feel, I’m also looking at Ohlins. All that said seems even the DHXP performs well also.

Ive checked a few reviews and some say EXT and others say PUSH so maybe not much in it. I’d also been looking into Smashpot or acs3

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So what are your initial thoughts?

I threw the new bike down most of the trails at Forest of Dean and it just soaked everything up, I seriously doubt I’ll switch back to air or even bother giving it more time, I’m really happy with the traction and way isn’t phased by roots and handles drops just fine. The lok function is nice, also Mojo are class the way they help setup everything

Given you get a heavier spring for trail parks etc I can’t see much logic in keeping the air, might as well sell it for £500 meaning the upgrade one cost £450 In the end….

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I threw the new bike down most of the trails at Forest of Dean and it just soaked everything up, I seriously doubt I’ll switch back to air or even bother giving it more time, I’m really happy with the traction and way isn’t phased by roots and handles drops just fine. The lok function is nice, also Mojo are class the way they help setup everything

Given you get a heavier spring for trail parks etc I can’t see much logic in keeping the air, might as well sell it for £500 meaning the upgrade one cost £450 In the end….
How many miles/Kms did you give on the standard bike otherwise you're just comparing your rockshox 35 boulevard cruiser to any vastly better equipped bike.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Sorry meant to say only need 0.1k to notice the difference ??

I mean I could keep the air and try more but I don’t need any better/different to what’s happening, maybe an e pensive placebo ?

There is a big difference between monster truck tyres, coil or air…..the dissector/rekon with the air is the lightest combo and very playful, on rock gardens this combo felt easier to man handle or correct errors but the heavy MM/BB coil combo doesnt, the lines need to be picked a little better or you get weighted the wrong way quickly and it’s a little harder to shift things around…..when you get it right though, it’s right a lot better is my feeling so far

I went to stainburn with mates but my energy was poor today, bad nights sleep xyz and had 2-3 offs, nothing major but mistakes probably due to tiredness, I knew it was probable before hitting the double black rock gardens of doom ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles