Expected range with two batteries

Kiwimike

May 10, 2021
Scotland!
Yesterday I did a 100k loop with 2,200m climbing, all offroad. Used a 500W & 625W bty (EVOC FR backpack). Partly-used each bty (30%) then stopped in at Escape Route Pitlochry and recharged both batteries from 70% to full (45 mins coffee & Cake and loo stop). Turned out I didn't need to, as got home with still 50% in the 625bty, but was nervous on this first 100k ride.

My question is - does this figure of an average 2.2% gradient for 100k eating 1125Wh of battery ring true? so a metric like - if your route is 2% or steeper, you'll get 10Wh per km?

I appreciate there's a load of variables here - I was in eMTB mode the whole time, and managed an avg HR of around 73% - so wasn't thrashing myself - which is probably why I felt really good after 5hrs ride. I'm assuming the ride was good for the waistline as I didn't bother eating lunch or snacks either :cool:

Trying to think how to calculate range for more-adventurous Cairngorms loops where there's no nice coffee shop with 6 fast chargers :)

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It will depend on many factors. Rider weight, how fast you ride, what the terrain is like, how you ride that terrain, if you push on over the limiter (so unassisted) or "surf" the limit, ie, right as it cuts out so you get less assistance/less power use.

There are some examples in here :

This was my longest with it, still 2 bars left - though the bars have less range as you go through them (Purion).

Screenshot 2021-09-06 15.00.43.png

Kiwimike

May 10, 2021
Scotland!
Take with a grain of salt, but the numbers this calculator returned didn't seem too far off the mark as long as you make sure not to overlook any of the input parameters.

1631091593231.png

Seems very pessimistic to me: The weight, speed, RPM and weather are accurate, only inangibly variable input here is 'Environment' where 'Mountanous Tour' seemed the best fit - I'm guessing 2,200M in 100k fits the bill :) - but this gave me a range of 42 miles / 67km - or only 2/3 of what the two batteries actually managed.

Noting the 'Effort' scale was only 3/7 - which when I look at the app stats for the ride, it says the power output was 2/3 bike and 1/3 me. so assessed about right I think.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Seems very pessimistic to me: The weight, speed, RPM and weather are accurate, only inangibly variable input here is 'Environment' where 'Mountanous Tour' seemed the best fit - I'm guessing 2,200M in 100k fits the bill :) - but this gave me a range of 42 miles / 67km - or only 2/3 of what the two batteries actually managed.

Noting the 'Effort' scale was only 3/7 - which when I look at the app stats for the ride, it says the power output was 2/3 bike and 1/3 me. so assessed about right I think.

Fair enough - "Mountainous Tour" is simply too vague. It's the highest setting in the app and 2200m/100k isn't that much of an incline.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles