Excess Sealant

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
A bit of a random question...

Since getting my Levo SL in 2020, my Stumpjumper hasn't been used as much as it should. It spends most of winter attached to a Kickr, and occasionally gets out in summer. More often with a mate riding it than me.

I have a friend wanting to join me at the weekend, so he is borrowing my Stumpy. I spent last night swapping the 36T chainring for a 30T (I use the 36T for Zwift), and checking the brakes, gear indexing etc.
Whilst spinning the wheels to adjust the brakes, the front wheel started making a really odd clunking noise. I removed it and shook it - and it sounded like there was something BIG inside.
When removing the tyre, I was presented with a large lump of 'moist' sealant... and when I turned the tyre inside out, it looks a bike like Freddy Kruegers face!!

I'm guilty of just removing the valve core and pouring some more sealant in each time it's used, and this must be the first time the tyre has been off in years. I imagine the rear will be much the same when I look at it tonight.

The easy solution would be to buy 2 new tyres, but I actually grudge that since the tread on these are pretty good, and the bike it rarely used outside. They're also 27.5 x 3.0" 6-fattie tyres, so not something my LBS will likely have in stock for tomorrow.

Am I ok just to re-fit, add sealant... job done?
Apart from the extra weight of all the excess sealant inside, is there any harm in it? I could try and strip it all out, but I fear I could be sitting for hours picking bit after bit - unless there is an easy way?

TIA

IMG_4470.JPG

IMG_4471.JPG

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
That solidified block of sealant looks massive😂😂
I don't tend to remove the coating on the tyres, just get rid of the old crap and add new.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
That solidified block of sealant looks massive😂😂
I don't tend to remove the coating on the tyres, just get rid of the old crap and add new.
It was about the size of a phone... and was wet and sqelchy 🤢
There was a pretty strong fishy smell when I opened the tyre too 😂

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i switched to bontrager blue sealant not because it would seal any better but because it lasts forever in liquid form

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would just make sure the bead on each side is clean so there is less risk of the tyre not sealing when you reinflate it. The rest is of not significance. IPA should help to make sure the beads are clean.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I cleaned the rim and the edges and put it back on. Inflated and sealed no problem with my Joe Blow Booster!

The rear is much better. No large lumps, but some brown off looking watery sealant.
Have picked a few larger bits off the tyre, and will get it back on after I put the kids to bed!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles