Error 500 codes and service outcomes...did your bike die?

Mid 4 day, 6 stage event last week I had error 500 power failure on 2019 Powerfly 9 LT (Bosch gen 3 performance CX). Pedal mode in embrace. Rode out 12km without power. Inexplicably powered up again for 2 more stages trouble free 80km of riding. Final stage, was 30km into final 45km stage, using pedal mode tour before total drive system failure and 0km range blank screen with 3 battery bars. DNF because of bad decision making due to fatigue and frustration - should have slogged it out but 25kg of tank ain’t fun in this terrain.

I was gutted...went away for a 10 day trip, driven 1750km each way to compete in the race event. $1500 in fuel, another $1500 in accomodation, $500 in entry.

Bike is 3 months old an had about 1200km on it...it’s now in “hospital” at the TREK dealer in that distant town (I live in an even more remote place in Australia) and they will run diagnostics on it when they get the dongle. But a new drive motor is on the cards.

So moving forward, who’s had error 500 code and what was the outcome? Did you get good warranty service or a fight?

Last edited:

skyfree

Aug 31, 2018
Fremont, CA USA
I think you are talking about a Bosch Gen 3 motor? I get 500's when it overheats on a brutal 2,500 ft climb I do. If I let it sit for 10 minutes it comes right back without the error and it's fine. The first part of your problem sounds exactly like that, but the final problem sounds more serious.

For overheating, the error is only triggered when I stop pedaling at the top of the climb. My solution is to reduce assist to eco just before the top, and then shut it off completely before I stop pedaling.

Good luck

I think you are talking about a Bosch Gen 3 motor? I get 500's when it overheats on a brutal 2,500 ft climb I do. If I let it sit for 10 minutes it comes right back without the error and it's fine. The first part of your problem sounds exactly like that, but the final problem sounds more serious.

For overheating, the error is only triggered when I stop pedaling at the top of the climb. My solution is to reduce assist to eco just before the top, and then shut it off completely before I stop pedaling.

Good luck

Thanks for your feedback Skyfree
Yes gen 3 CX
Was in emtb mode first time, tour on the second.

If it’s a problem with over heating, they are gonna have a lot of problems with product in Australia! Where I live, winter days are above 30oC, summer 40! Though my biggest climbs would be 500 feet not 2500. On the day it occurred, ambient was under 20oC, mostly 15oC.

Maybe letting it sit was the key that first time. I had stopped and restarted it a couple of dozen times riding back with no joy. But it’s not a great race strategy when the Levos you have a lead on blast past while the Bosch drive gets its act together!

Cheers

lcarron

Jun 1, 2019
Las vegas
I ride it is Nevada and the temperature has never been a problem for the motor. Today I get an error 500 in the garage as it was only 80 F. It get back to live after 5 minutes and it was even before I ride. Something is going on for sure. We go to the LBS soon to read the diagnostic log.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles