EP801 Rattle

bandhole

Mar 11, 2024
Dallas
This is on a 2024 Heckler 9. Is this rattle/clunk in the motor normal? It's really noticeable on rough terrain. There is no lateral movement, just forward and backward. Thanks!

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Nothing like that on my EP8, almost 2800 miles in and three winters. No EP8 rattle either. :)
But I've never rattled my crank arm after I've removed the chain, so who knows? :unsure:
It's probably just the motor engaging, but I don't know whats considered excessive.

Compared to my Bosch it seems kinda bad but some clunk across all motors is normal.
When the pedals spin backwords they aren't engaging anything inside the motor, when you move them forward they have to engage with all the cogs etc in the motor and you will feel that if you rock the pedals.
Some play will be normal, with the chain on if you don't notice it and the cranks spinn smoothly without the chain then your probably good.

bandhole

Mar 11, 2024
Dallas
It's probably just the motor engaging, but I don't know whats considered excessive.

Compared to my Bosch it seems kinda bad but some clunk across all motors is normal.
When the pedals spin backwords they aren't engaging anything inside the motor, when you move them forward they have to engage with all the cogs etc in the motor and you will feel that if you rock the pedals.
Some play will be normal, with the chain on if you don't notice it and the cranks spinn smoothly without the chain then your probably good.
Thanks for confirming. Yeah it just feels like engagement.

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
My 2017 Haibike's Yamaha PW motor has done this since day 1, regardless of chain on/off status. No effect on its performance 3k+ miles in, knock wood.

Apr 18, 2020
germany
Nothing like that on my EP8, almost 2800 miles in and three winters. No EP8 rattle either. :)
But I've never rattled my crank arm after I've removed the chain, so who knows? :unsure:

Wut? How well do you hear? This rattle is common for EP8/801, e8000 plus the current Bosch-Models albeit on the Ep8/801 its the worst and rather annoying on trails:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Wut? How well do you hear? This rattle is common for EP8/801, e8000 plus the current Bosch-Models albeit on the Ep8/801 its the worst and rather annoying on trails:

I'm not saying it isn't there, because if I concentrate, I can hear it. But I prefer not to spend my time listening out for it and it absolutely does not bother me, to the point where I no longer hear it.

I started wearing hearing aids in August last year. I wore them a couple of times on the bike, but I still didn't notice the "rattle". As before, if I listened out I could hear an intermittent rattle, but not otherwise. What I heard instead was the arms of my Oakleys rattling on my behind-the-ear aids. :ROFLMAO:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm not saying it isn't there, because if I concentrate, I can hear it. But I prefer not to spend my time listening out for it and it absolutely does not bother me, to the point where I no longer hear it.

I started wearing hearing aids in August last year. I wore them a couple of times on the bike, but I still didn't notice the "rattle". As before, if I listened out I could hear an intermittent rattle, but not otherwise. What I heard instead was the arms of my Oakleys rattling on my behind-the-ear aids. :ROFLMAO:
@electricbogaloo I was out at the weekend and I purposely listened out for "the rattle" on bumpy descents, not pedalling. All I could hear was the hub buzzing.

bandhole

Mar 11, 2024
Dallas
@electricbogaloo I was out at the weekend and I purposely listened out for "the rattle" on bumpy descents, not pedalling. All I could hear was the hub buzzing.
You are very lucky! I went on a street ride this weekend (the trails are all closed here because of mud) and whenever I hit a few stairs or jumped a curb I could Hear it clearly over the hub sound.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles