EP8 Warranty

Ricky Bobby

Dec 4, 2023
USA
I am that typical new member posting a problem!! I love my Canyon CF8 and the EP8 is amazing. I did 500 miles in two months, stretches the chain and slaughtered the bike tire, with a huge smile. Then it died. My LBS was on the phone with Shimano with 5 minutes of my arrival, analyzing the PC-E02 results. Bad battery. They spent two months trying to ship one, and finally came back with ‘we lost our inventory’. Having been responsible for a shipping warehouse I called an expert and he said it’s impossible to loose a hazardous material without severe implications, both legal and biz. Maybe this explains why they went dark. My question: does anyone have tips and tricks how to deal with them? When I called the 800 number they refuse to deal with me but want me to go thru my LBS. Any pointers would be appreciated! I just wanna spin the pedals!

Damin

May 17, 2023
USA
I would deal with this issue by getting a Turbo Levo Comp Carbon. ;) Seriously, I ride with a bunch of people that have Shimano EP8s and they have nothing but trouble. They have long delays in getting parts and when they do show up more often than not, they are the wrong parts. They spend more time on their backup bikes than they do on their actual EP8 units. Meanwhile, I've put 1,600 miles and ungodly vertical feet on my USED 2022 Gen 3 Levo and have had literally NO issues.

Ricky Bobby

Dec 4, 2023
USA
I would deal with this issue by getting a Turbo Levo Comp Carbon. ;) Seriously, I ride with a bunch of people that have Shimano EP8s and they have nothing but trouble. They have long delays in getting parts and when they do show up more often than not, they are the wrong parts. They spend more time on their backup bikes than they do on their actual EP8 units. Meanwhile, I've put 1,600 miles and ungodly vertical feet on my USED 2022 Gen 3 Levo and have had literally NO issues.
Don’t think I have not thought that….

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Took shimano 4 months to get me a motor. An e8000 during covid. No return calls or emails to the bike shop the whole time. As soon as i emailed YT(i have a yt decoy) they promised they had some insight and would get on it for me. A couple days later they had shimano send me a replacement motor with a postage paid return box to send my motor back. I had a new motor in less than a week. Maybe see what canyon can do? It can be a fair bit more costly ignoring a bike company than ignoring a bike shop. The new e8000 is still running after 8500km but i think i'll be trying something else next time. Im hoping yt ditch them or shimano steps up and clears the air and fixes the problems

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I am that typical new member posting a problem!! I love my Canyon CF8 and the EP8 is amazing. I did 500 miles in two months, stretches the chain and slaughtered the bike tire, with a huge smile. Then it died. My LBS was on the phone with Shimano with 5 minutes of my arrival, analyzing the PC-E02 results. Bad battery. They spent two months trying to ship one, and finally came back with ‘we lost our inventory’. Having been responsible for a shipping warehouse I called an expert and he said it’s impossible to loose a hazardous material without severe implications, both legal and biz. Maybe this explains why they went dark. My question: does anyone have tips and tricks how to deal with them? When I called the 800 number they refuse to deal with me but want me to go thru my LBS. Any pointers would be appreciated! I just wanna spin the pedals!

Maybe you need to find a better bike shop. When I wanted a warranty replacement for my EP8 battery, the bike store had it two days later. When I needed a smaller EP8 part, Shimano sent the part to my home and I got it in two days. I don't know what it means to "try to ship something for two months." Nor do I understand what it means to "lose one's inventory." Someone's feeding you a bunch of baloney.

Ricky Bobby

Dec 4, 2023
USA
Took shimano 4 months to get me a motor. An e8000 during covid. No return calls or emails to the bike shop the whole time. As soon as i emailed YT(i have a yt decoy) they promised they had some insight and would get on it for me. A couple days later they had shimano send me a replacement motor with a postage paid return box to send my motor back. I had a new motor in less than a week. Maybe see what canyon can do? It can be a fair bit more costly ignoring a bike company than ignoring a bike shop. The new e8000 is still running after 8500km but i think i'll be trying something else next time. Im hoping yt ditch them or shimano steps up and clears the air and fixes the problems
Good idea. I started working with Canyon again and they are tired of hearing from me. I get the same people on the phone. I guess my next step is to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Utah. I have found that going nuclear in a warranty situation may feel good but rarely produces good results. 8500km like you seems aspirational at best. I hope to get to 1km. Go ride bikes.

Ricky Bobby

Dec 4, 2023
USA
Maybe you need to find a better bike shop. When I wanted a warranty replacement for my EP8 battery, the bike store had it two days later. When I needed a smaller EP8 part, Shimano sent the part to my home and I got it in two days. I don't know what it means to "try to ship something for two months." Nor do I understand what it means to "lose one's inventory." Someone's feeding you a bunch of baloney.
Good feedback. Did you work through your LBS or direct with Shimano? Maybe I made a mistake here.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Did you work through your LBS or direct with Shimano?

First problem: Although my battery health was within specs, I wasn't getting the range that I was when the bike was new. The bike shop service manager said he would try to talk Shimano into replacing it. I couple days later, he had a new battery for me--no charge.

Second problem: The power button died. Although it was rechargeable, it wasn't great. This was on a Saturday. I left my bike so the bike store could call Shimano on Monday. They hook up the computer in the store, and then Shimano uses the magic of the internet to view the data from their location. Two days later, I was able to pick up the bike with the new switch--no charge.

Third problem: I smashed my computer mount and couldn't find a replacement. I got ahold of Shimano directly, and they sent me out a new one--no charge.

Ricky Bobby

Dec 4, 2023
USA
Update: I shamed Canyon into sending me a battery from their build stock. I have no idea if anyone communicated to Shimano; according to LBS Shimano went dark. The bike works and now I am hoping to get some company to pay $600 in labor I coughed to the LBS. I should have bought my own PCE-02 and charged it through my LLC. Anyway some kudos to Canyon for covering Shimano’s butt..

lovespicyfood

Nov 24, 2023
California
Wow, sorry to hear about this experience. Makes me a little nervous having a CF8 myself...but Canyon has been generally pretty good in my experience with little issues I've had with this bike and a prior Grail.
I am trying to mitigate issues w/ the battery by babying it with best practices that I've learned. I have the charger on a smart plug and will only top it off before a ride. With the 900w battery, I can get a couple decent rides before recharging. I've settled on trying to keep the battery at ~30%-40% in "storage" mode. I do wonder if a 4amp "quick charger" puts more strain on the life of the battery, but I understand that larger batteries can take higher amps with less concern.

Ricky Bobby

Dec 4, 2023
USA
Wow, sorry to hear about this experience. Makes me a little nervous having a CF8 myself...but Canyon has been generally pretty good in my experience with little issues I've had with this bike and a prior Grail.
I am trying to mitigate issues w/ the battery by babying it with best practices that I've learned. I have the charger on a smart plug and will only top it off before a ride. With the 900w battery, I can get a couple decent rides before recharging. I've settled on trying to keep the battery at ~30%-40% in "storage" mode. I do wonder if a 4amp "quick charger" puts more strain on the life of the battery, but I understand that larger batteries can take higher amps with less concern.
Copy that. I will follow suit. Also I will burn some incense and throw some chicken bones! The bike is amazing when it runs and i love it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles