Squeaky ep8

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Hey, so After a few wet rides my Shimano ep8 has developed a squeak when pedalling.

Its alot worse when pedal assist is on. I couldn't hear it at first with the power assist off but after listening carefully can just about hear it.

I thought maybe water had got inside but It doesn't seem to do it if I back pedal so hopefully not something internal like a bearing.

I just changed the pedals and was doing it before so know it's not then but did recently replace the chain which I should have done sooner so did wonder if the chainring might be worn out and causing it. Will try putting old chain on tomorrow just to rule that out.

I might take the cranks arms and chain ring off and I've everything a clean and regrese.

Has anyone else had any got any other suggestions before I head to bike shop.

Many thanks in advance

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Sometime ago I had a squeak when pedaling that I thought was caused by the E8000 motor, but it ended up being the rear wheel axle, it finally broke in a singletrack, so I knew for sure that it was the cause of the noise, and I was lucky and neither the bike nor myself suffered damages or broken bones.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Sometime ago I had a squeak when pedaling that I thought was caused by the E8000 motor, but it ended up being the rear wheel axle, it finally broke in a singletrack, so I knew for sure that it was the cause of the noise, and I was lucky and neither the bike nor myself suffered damages or broken bones.
Good shout, I'll check the axles.

Glad you and your bike were undamaged when your axles broke

neilo

Jan 25, 2022
Australia
I have this problem too, also associated with wet rides / washing the bike. It comes and goes after exposure to water. Have you found any solution yet?

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
FWIW I had a similar issue recently on my Orbea Rise, turned out the front motor mount bolt was loose.

Also, when I first got the bike, it had e13 cranks with this plastic thing that covered the chainring bolt. In the wet/mud it would get crap in there and make some noise. Since changing to shimano cranks its never been a problem.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
FWIW I had a similar issue recently on my Orbea Rise, turned out the front motor mount bolt was loose.

Also, when I first got the bike, it had e13 cranks with this plastic thing that covered the chainring bolt. In the wet/mud it would get crap in there and make some noise. Since changing to shimano cranks its never been a problem.
Mine needs a replacement motor, been waiting a month. Now being told it's going to be another month

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
Just finished servicing a mates mondraker dusk Rr today, same issue greased all the pivots etc, same issues, ended up being the dam motor bolts more so the top drive side had the creaking noise, so simple fix and sorted the issue.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles