EP8 RS US firmware.

Mads

Dec 18, 2023
Denmark
Well, hello there…
I know there are a thread concerning this, but alas….. apparently I’m a dummy🙄
Could I be so lucky that someone would grace me with a walkthrough (for dummies…..as in a grown ass man with an attention span equivalent of a preteen) ?
Exactly what is it I need to downgrade?
-and where do I find which version I’m running?
In case of a warranty claim, if I’m only changing the region, will it show if diagnosed?

Hope someone has the patience, thx in advance.
Mads

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Hi Mads, the region will be stated in any diagnostic check. If you are in a different region it will be a perfect reason for Orbea/Shimano to refuse warranty. You don't need to change region on the Orbea as it is a great bike as is and can be ridden without assistance fine with very little motor drag. You could apply the firmware for the EP8 and increase the power output. That would benefit you more.

Mads

Dec 18, 2023
Denmark
Hi there.
yeah, i have been thinking the same, but were wondering if they are logging to which region their batches of bikes are going. If not you could claim that it was bought in the states.… I know it’s probably a longshot, and it would be considered illegal to run the US firmware in Europe, but the motor is the same so it shouldnt be a problem, that’s if it can handle it or not.
I agree, stock firmware works ok, but I find the 25km/t does’nt make sense. 32 would hit the spot, as I find that with 25 I occasionally hit the limit at inconvenient situations.
It might be a better idea to wait until the warranty on the motor runs out…..🤗
thx for replyin!

lovespicyfood

Nov 24, 2023
California
Interestingly enough, I just got a Canyon Strive CF8 in the U.S. and it was restricted to the 16mph european standard. Apparently this isn't uncommon. I reached out to Canyon and they told me to get it updated at my LBS and they'd reimburse up to $50.
My bike shop did it for $35. They said they had to get on the phone with Shimano and then they would unlock it remotely.Very happy my bike is assist up to 20mph....16mph just seems too restrictive!

Mads

Dec 18, 2023
Denmark
Hmm…. So they can unlock it remotely… would love to know the procedure. I wonder if the European distributors can do this…. Best guess is no, it wouldn’t make sense if they can.
Would love to have the option though. It might be illegal over here, but if it were done to your motor it would be nice if it didn’t void your warranty.
Bummer that some bikes are shipped restricted to 16mph!
Would gladly dish out 50$ for the US firmware!

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Hi Mads,

there is no US firmware...it's just a setting in the firmware, that does the trick.
It's very easy and cheap to do.

Please create a thread in the Derestricting forum.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Using software you can remove the speed limit. EP8 motor -- STunlocker, EP801--minimax. I've only used STunlocker but is fairly difficult to use with bluetooth connection, not impossible just a lot of steps involved. STunlocker combined with SHIMANO's SM-PCE02 PC Linkage Device makes the process quick and painless. Allows removal of speed limit + torque/power restrictions. To my knowledge STunlocker does not work on the EP801, only minimax. Recommend searching up threads on this site according to the motor you have. The thing about this stuff is that if you are really worried about paying for a new motor because they won't warranty it, perhaps better to leave things alone. Overwhelmingly though people report that if software settings are reverted to stock before visiting a dealer for motor service the use of software is not detectable. I can neither confirm or deny this however my mindset is if I do have to pay for a new motor one day, so be it because the derestricted torque/power/reasonable speed limit is too much fun for me to care if I have to pay or not. Eventually warranty runs out anyway.

lovespicyfood

Nov 24, 2023
California
I am really happy with having my bike assisted to 20mph now. I feel like this is the perfect amount as I mostly want assist going up hills and on the flats between hills. Downhill, I don’t see the need for assist.

I can definitely see that the European restriction of assistance to 16mph would be a big bummer and I hit that limit often on my rides.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles