End of Trek Rail ???

Aberfoyle

Jun 5, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I ordered a Trek Rail 9.8XT on May 1 and today, May 4, my dealer told me that he had to refund my deposit because Trek cannot get the parts for the Rail bikes, and are not sure if there will be a 2021 or 2022 or 2023 and are not sure if there will be anymore Rail bikes period. This is of course a great disappointment. Has anyone heard of something similar?

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
I ordered a Trek Rail 9.8XT on May 1 and today, May 4, my dealer told me that he had to refund my deposit because Trek cannot get the parts for the Rail bikes, and are not sure if there will be a 2021 or 2022 or 2023 and are not sure if there will be anymore Rail bikes period. This is of course a great disappointment. Has anyone heard of something similar?
I have had my Rail 9 on order since October & i have fingers & toes crossed that it’s arriving back end of this month or early next.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I'd say it's time for a new dealer.

Gnarlyrider

May 3, 2021
Switzerland
Well, bike sales have gone up like crazy since the start of the pandemic. As my great lbs put it: "You want a bike? All I can offer you is what I have here in the shop. Can't order any new bikes at the moment!" And that's not just true for bikes, put parts too.
I don't know Treks plans for the Rail. But ebikes are where the money is made now, so they will either release new Rail versions for 2022 (whether they make changes to the frame or just change colours and kit... Dunno, I don't own a crystal ball) or a new model. Since the rail isn't old yet, I'd say it will be the Rail. Pretty sure it's just the 2021 version that's no longer available (unless you ordered a long time ago and are waiting for it to arrive, like @j3ayy , fingers crossed you'll get your hands on it soon!)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I cannot believe that a company the size of TREK "cannot get the parts" and as a consequence has to cancel the model for the next few years. What are the parts that are so specific to the Rail that TREK will have to cancel the Rail but not any other bike they make? If it affects more than one model, then this would be catastrophic to TREK and it would be breaking news in all the press. It has to be a part or parts that are specific to TREK and vital to the bike, or it would affect other bike companies. I can't think of anything other than a TREK logo. The logo would be important to TREK, but I can't see that it would stop them selling bikes for the lack of one!

Edit: As soon as I clicked "SAVE" I thought of one. The obvious one is the frame. But if they can't get a frame for years, then they are in deep shit!

Last edited:

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Nice one I would love a bullit but have a rise and Levo
The lavender bullit is lovely

Is the bullit your favourite so far ??

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Nice one I would love a bullit but have a rise and Levo
The lavender bullit is lovely

Is the bullit your favourite so far ??
Idk, I haven’t ridden it yet as I’m changing a couple of parts. I know the Bosch motor and kiox display has been my favorite. I’ve had 5 Levo’s, Focus Jam2, Yt Decoy Pro Race, Orbea Rise, Trek Rail, and now a Bullit. My wife loves me!

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
>12 month order backlog in Austin I'm told. If they do change the model then hopefully they change the design so the 34T front chainring doesn't rub or isn't as close to the chainstay. Ideally, we can swap it out to a 36.

Who ever designed the clearance of that front chainring deserves to be tied to a tree and kicked repeatedly in the nuts by all who bought a rail.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
My new Rail 9.7 is for sale in classifieds. Medium Purple-Haze. Jumped thorough a lot of hoops to find it, rode it home from the shop and unfortunately have to sell it.
Good luck on your sale, my 9.8 is also for sale because I purchased a large and need an XL!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Basically no showroom eMTBs available at the Trek dealer here. The floor has a few bikes (kids) but it’s kinda empty. Orders for bikes (eMTB) are being taken but they must be prepaid before you get in line for the order. (Some are 2022 delivery dates).
Ordering parts is whole other matter. I ordered backup brake pads from Amazon from who-knows what manufacturer. (2 weeks). But the LBS’s are scrambling to search for any part…from almost anyone. Staffing is short also at the LBS.

heezageeza

Mar 10, 2021
Sydney Australia
Worth watching this to actually hear first hand why it’s so hard to build a bike right now

Given the investment it takes in tooling and production, I’d be surprised if Trek stopped one of their most popular bikes already. What would they replace it with that wouldn’t be impacted by parts shortages the same as the Rail?

runjhike

Oct 17, 2019
Virginia
There are Rails to be had on shelves and you can still order them. They just have extended lead times like everything else. I just picked up an E-Caliber yesterday. Had to get a 9.6. My LBS said the 9.8XT that I wanted had a 300+ day back order but he had 2 each 9.6s. He also had Rails on the sales Floor. I don’t know which models or sizes but said they just came in. Blue Ridge Cyclery in Charlottesville VA

Rafael Campos

Apr 27, 2021
Brazil
>12 month order backlog in Austin I'm told. If they do change the model then hopefully they change the design so the 34T front chainring doesn't rub or isn't as close to the chainstay. Ideally, we can swap it out to a 36.

Who ever designed the clearance of that front chainring deserves to be tied to a tree and kicked repeatedly in the nuts by all who bought a rail.
Couldn’t agree more!! ???

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
There is just a lot of chaos due to a crazy demand. You can relax. Many have waited 8-10 months.
If they are honest there is no reason to complain.
At the end of february i ordered a Giant gave my deposit and it is still expected to be at my LBS
week 22. Sofar they deliver on date or 2 weeks late at the worst.
Just buy something to have some fun and later you might change for an Ebike you prefer.
I am sure many manufacturers will deliver some 2022 later than usual. Some 2021 Giant are
expected to be delivered week 50 so who knows when some 2022 will reach Canada . . .

Phantomx0_1

Feb 22, 2021
Berkshire
Shop around there are some in stock. The 2022 Bikes will be coming soon. Probably just colour changes mind you as the rail is now. My mate just got his rail 9.8 delivered ordered two weeks ago.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
I had been hitting Trek's site daily for a couple of months in case any dealers within a reasonable (several hundred mile) radius, and last Thursday Lo! a dealer 100 miles away showed a Rail 5 in stock. I hit reserve, called them the next day to confirm
I see 2 RAIL 9.7s large in stock in Santa Cruz and Aptos Ca. check the TREK site it will list al the bikes in stock

That would be Epicenter Cycling. I picked up an XL Rail 5 from their SC shop on Wednesday - I had been checking Trek's site daily for local availability, and it popped up last Thursday. Reserved it online, called to confirm availability and paid the next day. That was the only XL I could find in CA, though a few days later another one showed up at Epicenter and my buddy grabbed it - it was still in the warehouse.

Moral of the story: check Trek's site for local availability constantly.

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
I’d think it was more to do with Bosch developing and about to release next Gen CX motor. Bike manufacturers currently waiting for details from Bosch in order to design future bikes. Shouldn’t affect 2022 models tho.

Smittylube

May 14, 2021
Santa Cruz
I bought mine from epicenter. I’m only 4/5 miles away from them.
The owner says many parts are unobtainable for many lines right now. I think we have all become used to instant availability next day delivery etc, and maybe it will be that way again just not right now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles