eMtb weight and lower back ?

JackieA

Aug 10, 2020
Lancashire
One possibility to look at is an Emtb by Isla bikes. Don’t go off first looks - there is no suspension and a step through frame. It is lightweight and during the photo shoot for the catalogue I lifted it over a five barred gate on my own.
The front forks are carbon fibre and it handles like my old Kona Unit. I had asked for a follow up full day test but Covid got in the way of arranging it. I was contemplating buying one as I have no chance of lifting my Scott Espark 720 over anything.

geardoc

Apr 13, 2021
Vermont
Here's a bit of twisted humor, or irony, whatever you call it: since getting my heavy eMTB, I really love my old mountain bike because it is so lightweight. My back pain went off the charts on one ride when lifting the eMTB over a bunch of obstacles on the trail. Somehow, I'd forgotten how many times I have to carry a bike on my trails. So now I'm overjoyed with my old bike - it's so light and nimble. I still prefer the eMTB on steep but unblocked trails where I don't ever have to dismount.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
What are the circumstances that some of you find yourselves having to lift the bike over fences and gates? That suggests to me that you are riding footpaths which, to the best of my knowledge, should not be ridden in the UK. Am restricting myself unnecessarily by sticking to bridleways?

geardoc

Apr 13, 2021
Vermont
I explore the backwoods of Vermont. It's sometimes like bushwhacking in dense woods where there used to be trail at one time but now overgrown. Also a lot of narrow but well maintained trails here that are designated for multiple usage - hiking, biking, horseback.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I keep forgetting Scotland is different but what I said does apply to England to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just to confirm. I've ridden my bike extensively in England, Scotland and Wales.
Our laws may differ but the outcome of riding your bike in a courteous and friendly manner rarely actually differs between the 3 countries.

Just use common sense

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
I have had a running battle with serious back problems over many years. I don’t have any difficulties actually riding my emtb. The problem, as mentioned by others, is manhandling the bike. I have difficulties lifting the front of the bike onto it’s back wheel to manoeuvre it out to the front of my house. It’s the only real problem I have with the bike as it definitively stresses my back.

There's a neat trick to getting an ebike up on it's rear wheel. Grab the handlebars and press your "walk mode" button. Don't walk with the bike--stand your ground while holding the handlebars, and the bike will walk itself up onto its back wheel.

olde-mtber

Nov 1, 2019
New Zealand
I'm 70yrs young and the years are starting to tell on me. I've gone from a standard hardtail mtb and it was affecting my lower back regardless of what adjustments I made. I then sold it and bought a Trek Powerfly fs5. I went from a 21.5 frame to a 19.5 frame and then with a lot of trial and error of adjusting seat, handlebars, possible stem length and the leavers I finally got it right and now I can ride pain free. I never use to ride with padded shorts now I won't ride without them. At the end of the day it's about finding a bike that feels and fits you well off the shop floor and then ride it and see how the back feels.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Just to confirm. I've ridden my bike extensively in England, Scotland and Wales.
Our laws may differ but the outcome of riding your bike in a courteous and friendly manner rarely actually differs between the 3 countries.

Just use common sense
Absolutely but my point is still valid. My mistake was stating UK as I had forgotten that Scotland has different rules.

DSleazy

Aug 15, 2021
Surrey
@AzzaD
I have spondylolisthesis which causes me daily back pain but I havn't noticed any additional stress from the heavy emtb.

I can see you're also in Surrey so you're welcome to take mine for a spin before committing to buying anything.

@JoeBlow
You are absolutely right. However, there are plenty of tracks I ride where cycling is permitted but there are gates either end to prevent vehicles and horses. Rather than put my bike on it's back wheel and try and manoeuvre through the gate, I often chuck it over the fence.

I also probably ride a few footpaths where I'm not technically supposed to be, but I find slowing down and offering a big smile and a friendly 'hello' to be remarkably effective.

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
I've got a bad back, permanently injured right arm, couple heart conditions and I have epilepsy. This is all OK, I ride regularly. The problem is I'm frickin' 70! Whoever tells you getting old is OK is lying.

I ride a 37 lb. Levo SL. I need it light so I can get the beast in and out of my car. At least that's what I tell my wife. "Yes honey $160 carbon bars help get it in the car". Even she doesn't believe that one.

I regress. I quit mtn biking in 2016. I hurt my back so bad I was in bed for 2 weeks. My wife and I were going to Ireland and I didn't want to chance missing the trip so I quit . Fast forward to 2019. I want single-track! So I take my gravel bike to my favorite trail. My back was toast after that ride. But I could still do it. So I bought a Intense Sniper, 100mm front and rear. MUCH better! I rode the Intense for a couple of months. I kept having to cut my rides short because I'd run out of energy. That's when I found out I had a heart condition.

So January I bought a Levo SL. No back problems, no energy problem, just pure joy. Plus I've never had a bike with this much travel. Wow! What l've been missing all those years I've been riding 100mm travel race bikes. I had to change my riding style. Only back problem I'll have will be from lifting it. I'm going to get a rack! After that everything will be golden.

20210614_181541.jpg

20210623_165348.jpg

20210809_091716.jpg

AzzaD

Jan 7, 2020
Surrey
apologies for not replying sooner to this.

Firstly thanks for all the replies and it is of some comfort to hear similar stories. I'm now pain free, but blasted physio fofr a few months and a 6-8 month "journey" whilst my spine fixes itself, so even though I feel ok, some stuff is just stoopidly difficult to do and my ability to move about on a bike is not as good as it was 5 months ago. Been warned not to overdo it for 6 months, as I'll be right back to the beginning.

Echoing other comments above, core - every day, etc etc.

Good to hear that the weight isn;t an issue out on the trails, unless you've got to manhandle it over obstacles, up steep sections. Not an issue where I live, could be a pain when riding some of the more remote trails in Scotland etc.
I'm less bothered about loading an eBike on the car, I've got a towbar mounted rack for eBikes (wife's got one), no way am I lifting an eBike on to the roof of the Disco.

So eBike it is.

I'll head out to the the manufacturers sections are and the section for "what type of eBike shoudl I get?", as I suspect that may have been asked before...
Having had a couple of Yamahaha's during my m/c days, I do fancy a yam powered eBike.

AzzaD

Jan 7, 2020
Surrey
I've got a bad back, permanently injured right arm, couple heart conditions and I have epilepsy. This is all OK, I ride regularly. The problem is I'm frickin' 70! Whoever tells you getting old is OK is lying.

I ride a 37 lb. Levo SL. I need it light so I can get the beast in and out of my car. At least that's what I tell my wife. "Yes honey $160 carbon bars help get it in the car". Even she doesn't believe that one.

I regress. I quit mtn biking in 2016. I hurt my back so bad I was in bed for 2 weeks. My wife and I were going to Ireland and I didn't want to chance missing the trip so I quit . Fast forward to 2019. I want single-track! So I take my gravel bike to my favorite trail. My back was toast after that ride. But I could still do it. So I bought a Intense Sniper, 100mm front and rear. MUCH better! I rode the Intense for a couple of months. I kept having to cut my rides short because I'd run out of energy. That's when I found out I had a heart condition.

So January I bought a Levo SL. No back problems, no energy problem, just pure joy. Plus I've never had a bike with this much travel. Wow! What l've been missing all those years I've been riding 100mm travel race bikes. I had to change my riding style. Only back problem I'll have will be from lifting it. I'm going to get a rack! After that everything will be golden.

View attachment 69322
That's a nice ride you've got there, great colour.

(just realised that this thread is 2 pages long, thats how I missed this ! Doh. )

aviserated

Aug 18, 2021
Oxford GA
A more upright seating position will me easier on your back. I just purchased a shorter 30mm Industry 9 stem and taller 25 mm riser bars. This will help me set up more strait and less lean forward.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
A more upright seating position will me easier on your back. I just purchased a shorter 30mm Industry 9 stem and taller 25 mm riser bars. This will help me set up more strait and less lean forward.
If you round your back, it will hurt. Hinge it instead, keeping it straight, and you can be with your back almost horizontal without pain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles