Emtb wannabe in Derbyshire with a question

Hinett

Mar 24, 2018
Derbyshire
Hi all
Looking to get a emtb soon so I thought no better place to get info and advice from. Have been watching a few of the you tube videos from emtb forums which are very good.
One thing I have been struggling to get info on is all the different ways of transporting and ebike on your car? Yes I know the obvious way is a tow bar mounted carrier but that will add about another £700 to the cost of buying a bike, what other options are out there?
Many thanks for all your help!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Welcome mate.

I couldn’t find any other option other than 1) putting it in the back of the car or 2) tow bar option.

Issue with the roof is the weight restrictions and also the down tubes are far to fat for a regular roof mounted holder.

And I couldn’t find a rear mounted non towbar option.

There is a market out there for something better and cheaper - I really didn’t want a towbar it seems complete overkill just to take a bike, but did it as I couldn’t see any other option!

Cheers
Rob.

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
I have a ute, Toyota Hilux so made a mount , bike stands on it's tyres, I use Andy Strapz to hold it.
only other way ( no tow bar mount no roof mount ) would be to make your own. I know one option but hard to explain, but it needs a tow bar and the bikes rear wheel, rolls on the road behind the car. would be ok for short distances.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
I have been putting mine in the back of my x3 for a year now. TBH it is not that much of a bind. I know it’s safe and secure on the way to wherever and I can pick up a Starbucks without worrying about bike theft. It has not added much ware to the load area of the car but I do have to watch the peddles on the bumper when I am packing up as the bike feels a lot heavier after 2-3hrs hard riding. I do have to take the front wheel off and not sure if I could put a second bike in the back and close the tailgate, I don’t have any local riding friends so not really an issue. I’ll be changing next year for the new X3 and will be ticking the towbar option this time round so at least I have the option to try the towbar mounted carrier option out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles