eMTB or gravel/hybrid

macp

Jul 30, 2023
UK
Im in a real quandry. Infact Im stuck what to do. I was pretty set on Haibike Alltrack 6 hard tail. But I’m struggling with frame size. I’m 5 11” with about a 33” inside leg. Overall though I’m pretty average size wise everywhere else. My selection is M or L. But I’m concerned about feeling stretched out. And getting neck or shoulder pain.

Also there is the question of wheel size 27.5 or 29. Although 29 is only available in the large. Where you can select 27.5 or 29 in M size. I swung my leg over a large. And although the dealer seem convinced I was a large. Particularly as he put it, because of the height of the bottom bracket. It still seemed to feel big. For the record my riding is likely to be light off road and some road riding/commuting.

Watching a really good video on YouTube last night it said reach is the key. It went on to say in order to get your reach or RAD take your height multiplied by 2.5. So in my case that is 451. To get a minus RAD it’s height x 2.45. So that is 442.

So now through indecision I’m even now wondering if I should be looking at gravel/hybrid ebikes. But I doubt I will be able to get the same size of battery that you can on an emtb. And with a flat bar ?

The bike shop have just replied to say you could run a medium and deal with the under reach and lower front end of the medium with a
longer /taller handlebar stem.

So yes there is a lot to unpack here. And im in a bit of a mess.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
What felt big about it and how much riding experience do you have? I’m your same height and inseam, the M geometry looks way too small for me.

macp

Jul 30, 2023
UK
What felt big about it and how much riding experience do you have? I’m your same height and inseam, the M geometry looks way too small for me.
Just the feel of holding the bars when in the saddle. Admittedly I have next to no off road riding experience. But road riding for years. I have usually chosen an M frame in my other bikes. My previous Tern was to suit all sizes but before that I had a Kona Sutra in a 56 frame which was perfect. I had that converted to a flat bar.

Im overthinking this arent I ?

Last edited:

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Just the feel of holding the bars when in the saddle. Admittedly I have next to no off road riding experience. But road riding for years. I have usually chosen an M frame in my other bikes. My previous Tern was to suit all sizes but before that I had a Kona Sutra in a 56 frame which was perfect. I had that converted to a flat bar.

Im overthinking this arent I ?

I wouldn’t say you’re overthinking, getting size right is important. I can say that I also tend toward “M” frames for road and gravel (54 or 56 depending), but always L on MTB. If you can work out the flat-bar ETT, reach, and stack from your old Kona that might give you a helpful reference?

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
At 5'11" you're better suited to a size L. Having back problems, we adjusted the seating position on our bikes using these: Buy SATORI UP2+ Bike Bicycle Riser Extension Adjustable Stem 1-1/8" x 31.8mm x 110mm | CD
That allows us to sit more upright. Either a 65mm or 90mm extension version work best.

rise.jpg

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I'm 5"11 and find medium frames too small and cramped, feels like my feet will hit the tyre when turning!

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
When you say " throw a leg over" and " holding the bars in the saddle" - was that whilst riding, or just in the shop? Was the dropper post correct height for you? Seat slid forward? Bars correct height? There's only 15 mm difference in reach between the m and l , and adjusting the above would easily account for that .

Traditionally, at your dimensions most people would opt for a size L frame, - that haibike already has a relatively short reach compared with a modern mountain bike, but I doubt you are trying to get up on the pegs with an aggressive riding stance?

Whilst the sales person is partially correct - you CAN compensate for an overly short frame with a longer stem - this does horrible things to the handling when it really matters - up on the pegs and praying that unexpected obstacle isn't slippery. It slows steering but paradoxically causes front end instability. Unfortunately, it looks like that bike already has a short stem so you can't go the other way - size L with shorter stem if you prefer. BUT , moving the stem up a few spacers / bars tilted back +/- the seat slid forward is going to give you that 15 mm difference , and you keep the more stable handling when it matters.

ps I'm similar height, traditionally preferred a size M due to neck / back issues but after riding size L for past 3 years I have come to appreciate the benefits - more efficient pedaling, more stability when it matters. BUT I'm mtb riding, not wandering along in the dirt.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
before that I had a Kona Sutra in a 56 frame which was perfect. I had that converted to a flat bar.
If you converted your Kona to a flat bar and liked it then you're going to be used to a much shorter reach than is typical for any given size. Bikes designed for a drop bar are at least 30 mm shorter on the top tube as the stem and drop bar combo is much longer than a stem and flat bar. Specialized actually do a flat bar version of the Diverge that has a longer top tube to compensate for this. (I have one, it's great, a 90s mountain bike but everything works).

I'm the same height as you with a 32" inseam, and most M bikes are too small for me. I'd suggest the L, but maybe try a bar with a bit more rise on it? A 35 mm rise might make it feel a bit more comfortable?

macp

Jul 30, 2023
UK
Im very pleased to read your comments guys. Because last night I spotted a brand new old stock 2022 Trek Powerfly 5 with a large frame. And I got it for damn good price. The geos looked better than Haibike for me. And reading up Trek have a very good rep for quality of build. Plus it has the non smart Bosch CX motor and Purion controller.

macp

Jul 30, 2023
UK
Nice find, congrats!
Thanks yes just waiting for delivery now. But im glad I stuck with my plan to go with an emtb. I note the majority of peeps seem to choose FS bikes. But Im pretty sure I will be fine with a HT.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles