EMTB Observations

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
Time for the initial EMTB impressions before I become normalized to the ride.

My impressions are regarding any EMTB.

Having said that, I purchased a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp, cheapest one, less than a month ago.

Third weekend riding, 195 total miles.

Myself : 6'2, 230 lbs. 40 years ago was a 4' cross country miler (160 lbs.) Currently a 10' miler on trails.

Background :

Motocross during the late 70's and through the mid 80's.
Journalist for several years following the AMA and FMI races. Realized I was not good enough for the show. Fairly well published in all the motorcycle mags back then.

Roger DeCoster : "Learn to go fast by going slow". If you don't know, he was the Belgium Trials Champion before becoming ‘The Man' with five FIM world championship titles. I rode a lot of trials after this discussion with him.

MTB background : Mid 90's finally adapted to a bicycle without a throttle. Enjoyed it. Last 'upgrade' was a Santa Cruz Superlight. I did not get along with that bike. Crashed a bunch. Last ride/crash in 2006.

Current ability : Road good, mtb/dirt sucks. I have lost those abilities but they are starting to come back.

Trail running : a lot. Slow, but four times a week. I have some cardio, but not necessarily strength.

EMTB differences to road or MTB:

Safety :

Huge. Riding with traffic rather than an obstacle for traffic to work around. This is very noticeable at stop signs, lights, pedestrians, essentially any road traffic that wants to move at a rate. At traffic stops and working around pedestrians I bump up the motor mode to allow me to accelerate with traffic rather than being the obstacle.

Consideration:

Previously working through pedestrians or traffic I would only slow as a last resort and cut through and against traffic so I would not lose my momentum. Totally different story with the motor. I will pace myself with the pedestrian and move around them when able. I do not lose any actual time, energy or momentum with the EBIKE in traffic. This has even been during the trail rides allowing my passage with other pedestrians and bikes without issue.

Workout:

Spinning. In real life, not a gym. I essentially set my cadence and shift gears to maintain it. Road riders know this a lot more the mtb's. Get on a road that fits you, hit the cadence for an hour and burn.
Analog mtb's on trails for me have the cadence all over the map; I can never get a steady state in. It is a good workout to constantly shift cadence and the required effort, but at 20 minutes I explode. I am hot, shaking, tired. I am not going for more miles and trails.
With the EMTB, I generally ride 2+ miles with no assist, stretch, and then in the detuned ECO or TRAIL mode to keep the cadence and still burn based on the incline. Turbo is used for very steep climbs which would put me in the Red, and when coming back for the final few miles. This acts as a very nice spinning cooldown.
1700 calories, 30+ miles in a day? I did not die, puke, collapse. I have not ridden 50 miles in a weekend, let alone three. Feeling fantastic.

Engagement:

Probably the most important factor. From Monday to Friday I am consolidating my plan for the weekend rides.
I am looking at the trail maps to find engaging rides to work out on and explore. In my area there are a lot.
I am looking forward to this. Changing my habits to get up earlier and perform throughout the day (actually back to my old motocross training days).

Cost:

Hmm, and sigh. So let’s break it down by hour? Cost per ride.
Spoiler : If you ride each week the cost is ingrained to the enjoyment. Not an issue.

1 hour == bike cost. $5000
100 hours == $50 per ride.
200 hours == $25 per ride, first month for me.
1000 hours == $5 per ride. Hopefully by August.

Additional:

I upgraded to a full face helmet mostly due to my other helmets just not fitting that well. I don’t have issues with full face helmets.
I added knee pads and elbow pads.
A couple of 2xx Troy Design Shirts.
Specialized Demo pants
DZNuts Cream.

Quality of Life:
Best dang money I have spent since the engagement ring for my fiancée.
Do not overthink it.

Observations:
GET IT.
Don’t overthink.
Base 2022 Levo Turbo with me, 230+ lbs. , 500 WH battery, 3000 feet plus climbing, four hour ride, finished with over 20% battery. Just ride sensible.
I detuned Eco, Trail according to Marchell Mullen (How to use Specialized Mission Control App - and the best power level settings | Marshall Mullen - YouTube)

Next:
Keep working on skills. I used to take my Bultaco trials over cars, ravines, streams. I have a hard time doing a trail stand currently on the Levo. I ride hard one day, easy the next day using power, and skills in the backyard during the week; these are actually the hardest.

1) Bumped into my fiancés ex from 20 years ago. I knew him prior to stealing his girl. I am not sure what this means, but he is on analog mtb and I am at least still moving forward.
2) Every stop I made people want to talk if you engage them. Shoes, hydration, bike. This is wonderful.

20220514_095447.jpg

20220514_103831.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Time for the initial EMTB impressions before I become normalized to the ride.

My impressions are regarding any EMTB.

Having said that, I purchased a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp, cheapest one, less than a month ago.

Third weekend riding, 195 total miles.

Myself : 6'2, 230 lbs. 40 years ago was a 4' cross country miler (160 lbs.) Currently a 10' miler on trails.

Background :

Motocross during the late 70's and through the mid 80's.
Journalist for several years following the AMA and FMI races. Realized I was not good enough for the show. Fairly well published in all the motorcycle mags back then.

Roger DeCoster : "Learn to go fast by going slow". If you don't know, he was the Belgium Trials Champion before becoming ‘The Man' with five FIM world championship titles. I rode a lot of trials after this discussion with him.

MTB background : Mid 90's finally adapted to a bicycle without a throttle. Enjoyed it. Last 'upgrade' was a Santa Cruz Superlight. I did not get along with that bike. Crashed a bunch. Last ride/crash in 2006.

Current ability : Road good, mtb/dirt sucks. I have lost those abilities but they are starting to come back.

Trail running : a lot. Slow, but four times a week. I have some cardio, but not necessarily strength.

EMTB differences to road or MTB:

Safety :

Huge. Riding with traffic rather than an obstacle for traffic to work around. This is very noticeable at stop signs, lights, pedestrians, essentially any road traffic that wants to move at a rate. At traffic stops and working around pedestrians I bump up the motor mode to allow me to accelerate with traffic rather than being the obstacle.

Consideration:

Previously working through pedestrians or traffic I would only slow as a last resort and cut through and against traffic so I would not lose my momentum. Totally different story with the motor. I will pace myself with the pedestrian and move around them when able. I do not lose any actual time, energy or momentum with the EBIKE in traffic. This has even been during the trail rides allowing my passage with other pedestrians and bikes without issue.

Workout:

Spinning. In real life, not a gym. I essentially set my cadence and shift gears to maintain it. Road riders know this a lot more the mtb's. Get on a road that fits you, hit the cadence for an hour and burn.
Analog mtb's on trails for me have the cadence all over the map; I can never get a steady state in. It is a good workout to constantly shift cadence and the required effort, but at 20 minutes I explode. I am hot, shaking, tired. I am not going for more miles and trails.
With the EMTB, I generally ride 2+ miles with no assist, stretch, and then in the detuned ECO or TRAIL mode to keep the cadence and still burn based on the incline. Turbo is used for very steep climbs which would put me in the Red, and when coming back for the final few miles. This acts as a very nice spinning cooldown.
1700 calories, 30+ miles in a day? I did not die, puke, collapse. I have not ridden 50 miles in a weekend, let alone three. Feeling fantastic.

Engagement:

Probably the most important factor. From Monday to Friday I am consolidating my plan for the weekend rides.
I am looking at the trail maps to find engaging rides to work out on and explore. In my area there are a lot.
I am looking forward to this. Changing my habits to get up earlier and perform throughout the day (actually back to my old motocross training days).

Cost:

Hmm, and sigh. So let’s break it down by hour? Cost per ride.
Spoiler : If you ride each week the cost is ingrained to the enjoyment. Not an issue.

1 hour == bike cost. $5000
100 hours == $50 per ride.
200 hours == $25 per ride, first month for me.
1000 hours == $5 per ride. Hopefully by August.

Additional:

I upgraded to a full face helmet mostly due to my other helmets just not fitting that well. I don’t have issues with full face helmets.
I added knee pads and elbow pads.
A couple of 2xx Troy Design Shirts.
Specialized Demo pants
DZNuts Cream.

Quality of Life:
Best dang money I have spent since the engagement ring for my fiancée.
Do not overthink it.

Observations:
GET IT.
Don’t overthink.
Base 2022 Levo Turbo with me, 230+ lbs. , 500 WH battery, 3000 feet plus climbing, four hour ride, finished with over 20% battery. Just ride sensible.
I detuned Eco, Trail according to Marchell Mullen (How to use Specialized Mission Control App - and the best power level settings | Marshall Mullen - YouTube)

Next:
Keep working on skills. I used to take my Bultaco trials over cars, ravines, streams. I have a hard time doing a trail stand currently on the Levo. I ride hard one day, easy the next day using power, and skills in the backyard during the week; these are actually the hardest.

1) Bumped into my fiancés ex from 20 years ago. I knew him prior to stealing his girl. I am not sure what this means, but he is on analog mtb and I am at least still moving forward.
2) Every stop I made people want to talk if you engage them. Shoes, hydration, bike. This is wonderful.

View attachment 88117

View attachment 88118
So to summarise..you like the bike then ..😁

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Welcome to the forums .
And congrats on the Bike.
Also, please feel free to critique my grammar anytime …I know, it’s bad.😉

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
Fifth weekend riding today.
260 miles total after today's journey.

Updated observations:

Dialing in the cadence on the trails and adjusting the ride mode is the most important aspect of these EMTBs.

Adventuring is as important.

Today's ride had several sections over 25% grades. I was 'simply' riding with a cadence between 70-105 with a sustained heartrate of 145 - 170 bpm. I switched between no-assist, eco, trail. Turbo was used for less the 1/2 mile.

The ride: 5300' climbing. 40 miles with 6 hours in the saddle. Over 2900 calories. I did not redline, puke or otherwise embarrass myself.

I have never ridden these trails. I did look over them but was not sure I could accomplish the ride. The goal was to reach Mt. Umunhum from my house. I did not turn around at 50%, 40% 30%. With two miles to go to the Mt. Umunhum summit I had 17% battery remaining; at this stage I turned around to get back home. This is not an adult behavior. I was a calculated kid. The 500wh battery did die with 3 miles remaining. What a great adventure and learning experience.

mt-umunhum-trail.jpg

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Not to be negative or anything but take the calories burnt with a pinch of salt. 90% of apps don't take into account the motor assist.

Strava/Apple/Myfitnesspal - 1700 calories burnt. My actual bosch app that knows how much the motor assisted - 900 calories burnt.

But I agree with everything else. The "ebikes are cheating" argument is so brain dead, they allow you to spin a steady cadence regardless of terrain. I usually average 80-85 rpm for 90+% of my ride and for cardio it's awesome.
There was a proper study done into ebike fitness and they found they offer the same workout as a regular bike, and arguably a better work out than a regular MTB due to allowing faster cadence and higher heart rates. Though a regular MTB is definitely better for building strength.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles