EMTB for large rider?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Which brand offers a good deal on an all mountain EMTB for a large rider for sale in USA? 6'2/ 188cm with long torso, 240 pounds/ 109kg.
What type of eebs are you after?
Trail, Enduro, DH shuttle, XC, Freeride, long travel, short travel etc.
You've got options with a lot of brands.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Gottya,
Most modern day emtb's (and regular mtbs) are reducing the seat tube length and increasing the reach.
I'm a rider of 6foot 3inches (dont ask me what I weight cus I couldn't honestly care). So usually I opt to upgrade the dropper to something longer.
Anywho, to answer your question more directly, check out YT decoy. I've heard and seen good things about it and your friend should find the xxl more than adequate.
I would also say the new Specialized Levo gen 3 S6 but, I doubt anyone's gonna be quick to buy one anytime soon.
The bike which in all honesty may appeal to your friend more is Niner (Probably the WFO in a xl).
Nevertheless, there are other brands like Haibike, Trek, Giant etc.

I will say this to your friend, don't just buy the 1st which becomes available. Take your time and look/test ride before committing. Remember, ebikes aren't getting cheaper and I think many of us on the forum will gladly agree that reliability, consistency, durability and longevity are core aspects which are becoming more favorable compared to the newest latest and greatest drive train, suspension and brakes.

Hope this helps dude.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
My mate is 6'2 and the same weight as me (100kg) and he rides my Norco Sight VLT okay in a large (I'm 5'11). He says he would get an XL if buying one himself. It's a great bike, especially when pointing down the trail.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
As a size comparison, I have the 2020 Levo in its largest size and seatpost and reach are fine. I'm 6'3" and currently weigh (chr**t) 147kg.
I'm pushing it for weight but for a 109KG rider the suspension will be fine

sendler2112

Jan 2, 2021
Syracuse, NY USA
My mate is 6'2 and the same weight as me (100kg) and he rides my Norco Sight VLT okay in a large (I'm 5'11). He says he would get an XL if buying one himself. It's a great bike, especially when pointing down the trail.
Decent price at $5500 with the E8000. Steep seat angle makes the top tube a little short and forward. States "sold out".

sendler2112

Jan 2, 2021
Syracuse, NY USA
As a size comparison, I have the 2020 Levo in its largest size and seatpost and reach are fine. I'm 6'3" and currently weigh (chr**t) 147kg.
I'm pushing it for weight but for a 109KG rider the suspension will be fine
I was at my Specialized dealer today. His rep was smart and knew what was coming when he encouraged my dealer to order 20 Levos. He has sold 4 already and dealer traded two more. These are the last of the line if Specialized really only offers the 2022 at $13000 after these are gone. He marked them up to $7500 for the comp. The XL Levo seems to be the largest frame of any EMTB I have found so far.

Last edited:

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I'm 6'5" and 125kg (275lb) and fit an XL Levo no problem. If I was buying a new bike an XL Trek or Giant would fit OK, if it was a new Levo I'd be an S5 or S6

Sig

Oct 10, 2020
Zurich, Switzerland
6.5 and ride a Scott Strike eRide, fits like a glove.
Generaly - If needed, there’s always options of playing around with a longer/shorter stem, stem angles, bara of different width or rise... so there are always chances for fine-tuning post-purchase.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
I was at my Specialized dealer today. His rep was smart and knew what was coming when he encouraged my dealer to order 20 Levos. He has sold 4 already and dealer traded two more. These are the last of the line if Specialized really only offers the 2022 at $13000 after these are gone. He marked them up to $7500 for the comp. The XL Levo seems to be the largest frame of any EMTB I have found so far.
They’re not going to do that. It would price themselves out of a huge new market. It’s only the top drawer S-Works that’s £13k.

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
I'm 6'5" and have the Marin Alpine Trail E2 on order. They size the dropper to 170mm on the XL and on paper it's 505mm on the reach. It's similar geo to my enduro bike (actually slightly longer reach) so confident it'll be fine. Only change I've made on the spec as part of my order is to boost the coil shock up to 750lb. It's only 500lb as standard and no way that's enough in the 110kg range. Think the pricing on the Marin is pretty good in the US.

hayzie

Jul 21, 2020
Italy
Which brand offers a good deal on an all mountain EMTB for a large rider for sale in USA? 6'2/ 188cm with long torso, 240 pounds/ 109kg.

Canyon Neuron ON... very high seat tubes, not so long on reach but depends on the type or riding you need. I am 6'3", 90kg and the L is the right size... they also do XL if you want to extra "space"

Darcy

Nov 23, 2018
Watford
Hi Mate. I am 6'3" now 120k started at 145k on a sworks turbo levo. You can see the impact it has had on weight loss :). All fine in XL frame size.

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
I agree as well, and they run small. Had a medium and sold it cuz I did not care for the fit, or the motor.

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
I have gone through about 5 ebikes this past year and besides my S-Works Levo, my favorite and I think a great value is my 2021 Orbea FS Wild. It runs a bit small so me being 5'9", 230lbs, I run a Large. Last checked they had 4 available at Bikebling. Ask for Kerry, he is the owner and if ya get a chance drop my name, Tom from San Antonio Texas. I like them to know I spread the word about companies I have had good experience with. The Bosch motor is wonderful!!. I am actually considering getting another as a backup bike. Good luck

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
I am 280lbs and 6'5", some lbs lost on ebike during winter. I have Trek Rail size XL. I have changed stem to 7cm and handlebars to 3, rims to carbon 40, fork to RS Zeb 170, shock to Fox DPX2 160, seatpost to harder one with 150 cm movement, wider saddle by Specialized Body Geometry. I also changed brake pads to IceTechs with cooling.

Size of bike is nice now, good filling on uphill and downhill too :)

Last edited:

acmcdonaldgp

Jun 21, 2020
AB
I understand the challenge. I am 6’6” and was 270 pounds (36/37” arms and 36” inseam) last spring when shopping for my bike. I phoned/emailed every dealer in Canada trying to find an XXL SC Heckler to get the long reach, but had no success.

Ended up on an XL carbon rail 9.7. Beautiful bike, and the geometry fits fine. Could do with a bit more reach, but it’s not unreasonable as is, so I haven’t tried a different stem. What I like about the rail for a big guy is that I can upgrade to a coil and I can upgrade the fork with the new charger damper. The Heckler wouldn’t take the coil.

The bike rode well all last season, but at 270, I found the shock to be fairly hard to get set for me. I played around with volume reducers but could just never get it to the sweet spot for me. It was good but not great last summer. I’m 238 right now (expect to ride around 230 this summer) and have a Jade X coil on order that I know will fit and believe will get me back that sweet spot. The air shock is a bit better this summer, being 30-ish pounds lighter, but I’m still looking to get back to he coil.

I’m always watching for new XXL bikes. I am still interested in the Heckler MX in an XXL....and I am intrigued by the Levi in the new size S6. But it will will be a while before I move from my Rail....it’s a pretty sweet bike and it’s set up nicely for me now...

Good luck to your friend shopping. With inventories being what they are again this year, my advice would be to stay open to getting close, not waiting to find perfect, if he wants to ride a new bike this summer. I’m thinking ahead to next summer already....and placing an order now for a new analog bike....

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
Ya, I considered coil but that is linear and that is not good for heavy driver. I ended up with DPX2 air. And I love wider carbon rims as a protection and alloy frame because of my weight - carbon is much more harder with the same weight but too much fragile (hidden damage because not elastic with curved slip line graph)

Tokens are good, bud the pressure is high on the end of shock so you should read tuning guide doc for high load.

Last edited:

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
I was able to test a few different bikes. I'm 6'2 with a short torso/arms and long legs. Levo and Merida both were suitable but Trek was not because it appeared to cater to a longer torso and arms so would suggest a Trek.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles