EMTB convert, I think.

8o8ert

Jul 15, 2021
UK
Hello all. Currently i have a Santa Cruz Nomad 2, frame is fine but the drivetrain is getting to the end of its life and i fancy 12 speed anyway.
For a long time now my riding is going a lot more XC/Trail, longer distances and wanting to enjoy the ups as well as the downs. My type of riding can be summed up as enjoying places like Llandegla and Gisburn, and Rivington.

So i was dead set on a Transition Spur seemed perfect. But now im really liking the look of the Trek Rail 9, with Sram GX kit, so i can stick an AXS upgrade kit on it, it would come in at a similar price to the Spur i had planned.

But a few things are worrying me, namely longevity, i mean look how long ive had a Mk2 Nomad.

8o8ert

Jul 15, 2021
UK
Another thing is sizing, what has happened my Nomad has a reach of 383mm in a Medium. I'm 178cm, short legs at 80cm so that usually meant medium rather than large. Now the Trek is 450mm.

8o8ert

Jul 15, 2021
UK
To me it sounds like you’re the kind that would love the Levo SL the most.

trust me. The SL is perfect for what you’re saying and it would be your max power matched so 2x faster on the ups and light and nimble on the flat and downs.
Don't they have tiny batteries and lack the overall power the bigger ones have. The same money also gets you fair lower specs.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Don't they have tiny batteries and lack the overall power the bigger ones have. The same money also gets you fair lower specs.

Hey, 8o8ert.
Here's a couple thoughts.

ANY top tier bike that you buy today is going to blow your old Nomad right out of the water. Your Nomad was great in its day, but bike technology improves so quickly that the new stuff is light years ahead of what we had only a short while ago.

Maximum motor power isn't the most important thing. For me, running at maximum boost is kind of silly, it's more like riding a motorcycle. On super-techy sections, I purposely dial back the assist. When hopping up super steep rock gardens, I prefer the control that a lower level of assist provides.

A bigger battery sounds like a great idea, after all, who doesn't like more power? But if you actually RIDE your Nomad, you'll find that a small battery with a little bit of motor assist will allow you ride further and faster than you currently can. If you want to rip up the climbs at 15 mph with minimal pedal input, then you might want the biggest battery you can find.

You're already a Santa Cruz man, are you thinking of sticking with them?

8o8ert

Jul 15, 2021
UK
Hey, 8o8ert.
Here's a couple thoughts.

ANY top tier bike that you buy today is going to blow your old Nomad right out of the water. Your Nomad was great in its day, but bike technology improves so quickly that the new stuff is light years ahead of what we had only a short while ago.

Maximum motor power isn't the most important thing. For me, running at maximum boost is kind of silly, it's more like riding a motorcycle. On super-techy sections, I purposely dial back the assist. When hopping up super steep rock gardens, I prefer the control that a lower level of assist provides.

A bigger battery sounds like a great idea, after all, who doesn't like more power? But if you actually RIDE your Nomad, you'll find that a small battery with a little bit of motor assist will allow you ride further and faster than you currently can. If you want to rip up the climbs at 15 mph with minimal pedal input, then you might want the biggest battery you can find.

You're already a Santa Cruz man, are you thinking of sticking with them?
No it's the Trek Rail 9 I have my eye on rocks all the boxes.
Its not necessarily the power I want but the range.
Definitely want SRAM gear as I want to upgrade to AXS. Rockshox suspension as well for ease of home maintenance.

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
I went though which bike to get when I ordered my whyte e160rs v2, all the top bikes you will enjoy, I tried the levo, giant, and really looked forward to the decoy, in the end I went with whyte, do what makes you happy mate, everyone has an opinion biased towards what they ride now ir what they want. honestly they all do the same thing to start with, get what makes you happy because liking the look of it and when seeing it in your pics you will take... believe me it makes all the difference.

8o8ert

Jul 15, 2021
UK
I went though which bike to get when I ordered my whyte e160rs v2, all the top bikes you will enjoy, I tried the levo, giant, and really looked forward to the decoy, in the end I went with whyte, do what makes you happy mate, everyone has an opinion biased towards what they ride now ir what they want. honestly they all do the same thing to start with, get what makes you happy because liking the look of it and when seeing it in your pics you will take... believe me it makes all the difference.
I'm mostly annoyed you can't get frame only well including the motor.
This would be the first bike I bought fully built.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles