EMTB and Caravan

Bobman

Feb 21, 2019
Teesside
I'm looking to splash some cash next year on a caravan and EMTB. I quite like the idea of getting a pickup to do the towing and humping the bike(s) as opposed to a big SUV (I'm fed up with having to drop the seats and there will be a dog involved too) but just want some reassurance I'll be able to lump the bike up and over the tailgate. Anyone have any experience with this and the best way of loading. For all you caravan buffs I'm looking at MTPLM of 1800kg.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Or......why not get a van instead of a pick up. Far more practical. The bike or bikes would also be better protected from weather and more secure. I use a VW T5 with a fork mount bolted to the floor at the back. Lifting the bike back wheel first into the van is easy.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Mine goes in the caravan. Made a fork mount , it rides in the middle of the floor plan between the seats with a strap from each bar end to the subframe under the seats. ??

Bobman

Feb 21, 2019
Teesside
Or......why not get a van instead of a pick up. Far more practical. The bike or bikes would also be better protected from weather and more secure. I use a VW T5 with a fork mount bolted to the floor at the back. Lifting the bike back wheel first into the van is easy.
I had thought of this but the main campsite I use doesn't allow commercial vehicles. I have checked a pickup is OK but might not get away with a van.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My T5 is not a commercial vehicle. It is a Shuttle....ie a people carrier and registered as a diesel car. I think you will find the campsite definition of commercial vehicle is a van with sign writing otherwise they would ban motorhomes/ campers most of which are taxed and registered as commercial vehicles. Loafs of my mates use T4s and T5s and most are taxed as commercial vehicles. Never heard of any of them having problems at a campsite.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I am saving for a T5 camper purchase, and will then either fabricate a removeable bike stand inside the van or buy an external rack. That way I can hit local trails and also travel further afield, camping in the roof bed with the bike locked below at night.

Bobman

Feb 21, 2019
Teesside
My T5 is not a commercial vehicle. It is a Shuttle....ie a people carrier and registered as a diesel car. I think you will find the campsite definition of commercial vehicle is a van with sign writing otherwise they would ban motorhomes/ campers most of which are taxed and registered as commercial vehicles. Loafs of my mates use T4s and T5s and most are taxed as commercial vehicles. Never heard of any of them having problems at a campsite.
Fair enough, I will have a chat with the owners. Still swaying towards the pickup because if 4wd as long as it's easy enough to get the bikes in board.

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
I have a VW Caddy LWB, no problem on campsites, once you put glass & rear seats into a van, you can get it reclassified by DVLA as MPV or car (class M1 instead of N1), but as previously posted, most campsites don't care about the legal classification, they just don't want signwritten work vans in the place.

Ref getting bike in & out, my Levo is easy to lift in & out of the back of a van, and I also have a dog ramp for use on occasions.

Bean

Jul 21, 2018
Hull, UK
We have no problems taking our van on sites, but is plain with no sign writing. Most sites wont let a sign written on.
Handy to have a van so on site the bikes are out of sight at night and if you are just out and about not easy to get at the bikes in car parks etc

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Vw t5/6 has a 4wd option. Never had a problem with front wheel drive on slippery stuff personally....just dont wreck the van by putting on bigger wheels low profile tyres and lowered suspension !!

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
I use to tow with my van and have been turned away from some sites so it does happen sometimes.
I currently tow my caravan with my car and put my emtb and wife’s hybrid ebike in no problem I have made a bike holder which sits between the front seats which holds them nicely

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles