Elephant in the room ?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi again I've been thinking because of the lack of bikes I'm going to hang in to my giant for a year or two but I've seen some motors replaced under warranty which is great but what do you do if it's out if warranty ? I've looked about and the best I can find is bearing guy does various parts and a place in Germany supplies refurb/new motors but nowhere in the UK surely some of these bike will still be getting use many years after warranty what do u do if the motor crocks it just bin the bike ? And second part is surely companies have to start selling frame and motor only so people can build there own bikes ? Thanks again ?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
The place in Germany was about £450 for my motor ? Don't get me wrong my bikes fine I'm heading out tomorrow but I thought there would have been maybe a cottage industry repairing motors I'd much rather use local/British people economy and all ? I'm also wondering why no manufacturers apart from bafang will supply a frame and motor separately ?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Hi again I've been thinking because of the lack of bikes I'm going to hang in to my giant for a year or two but I've seen some motors replaced under warranty which is great but what do you do if it's out if warranty ?

Theoretically it's just mechanics and electrics, but you have to wonder how many bike mechanics have the. expertise to analyse / repair these things?

My motor was replaced just before warranty ran out, I figure if it dies in another 5000 km the rest of the bike will be getting pretty tired

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Theoretically it's just mechanics and electrics, but you have to wonder how many bike mechanics have the. expertise to analyse / repair these things?

My motor was replaced just before warranty ran out, I figure if it dies in another 5000 km the rest of the bike will be getting pretty tired
Interesting this point. I recently spoke with a well known big bike shop owner about a particular type/brand. He hated them and refused to sell anymore because, as he said, they had all come back.
When I pushed him to tell me what the problem was with them he just said “no idea, never investigated “. Brilliant!

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi tbh touch wood I've had very little issues with mine lots of people say there giants have had issues with water ingress but I live in the north east of England (wet) and rode through mud rivers and clag I have covered all connections with waterproof grease and put a seal on the battery but it's been fine and tbh as a motor I'm amazed more manufacturers don't use it it's just about as powerful as the Bosch and brose more than e8000 or ep8 ? I just wish I could buy say a new frame and motor combo next year say and spec it how I want ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles