Electrical advice needed

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I've got a Lupine light connected to the motor with the requisite Brose cable but I want the option to take the (normally hard wired) light off when I need/want to. So... I would like some help in recommending the correct, preferably waterproof connector(s) I should buy please.

Can anyone help?

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
From my RC experience I would recommend soldering something like a Micro Deans or XT30 on the end - small, positive engagement and handed so no chance of an incorrect connection:
  • Micro Deans
  • XT30 (probably my preference, might be a bit more waterproof and easier to solder)
You could also use 2 or 3mm bullet connectors wrapped in heatshrink, but if you do that make sure you offset where they are on the wire (i.e. +ve and -ve are different lengths), and put the females on the battery side to avoid any possibility of a short:

BulletPin-Short-Potential500pics.jpg

PS - If you are not familiar with soldering this guide should help.

Last edited:

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
From my RC experience I would recommend soldering something like a Micro Deans or XT30 on the end - small, positive engagement and handed so no chance of an incorrect connection:
  • Micro Deans
  • XT30 (probably my preference, might be a bit more waterproof and easier to solder)
You could also use 2 or 3mm bullet connectors wrapped in heatshrink, but if you do that make sure you offset where they are on the wire (i.e. +ve and -ve are different lengths), and put the females on the battery side to avoid any possibility of a short:

BulletPin-Short-Potential500pics.jpg

PS - If you are not familiar with soldering this guide should help.

Cool - Thanks. XT30's look like the one for me, but it does lead to another question..... What size heat shrink sleeves do I need for them please?

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
4 mm should be fine - if your cable is thin enough.
Some shops also sell connectors and heat shrink tubing in bundles.

Thanks - I wasn't thinking about the cable, although it makes sense to heat shrink them too, I was thinking about a sleeve to go over the base of the connector and outer cable. I can't seem to find the dimensions of an XT30 though (and I thought Goole was my friend!)

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
In an XT series connector I just slip two pieces of heartshrink over each individual wire (having checked they are big enough to go over the cup on the back of the connector first). I then fill the cups with solder, tin the wires, solder them into the cups, leave it to cool completely then slide the heatshrink over each soldered joint and shrink it down. If you like you can put on an additional, larger diameter piece of heatshrink over both wires that goes round them and the base of the connector, but it isn't mandatory as long as you remember to pull on the connector body not the wires when disconnecting.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles