Wheel upgrade advice needed.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I'm 5foot 4 and ride a small 2018 carbon comp. I ride mainly trail centres but am more downhill focused, hitting all the typical trail centre jump lines rather than grinding out distances.
I'm looking at upgrading the stock wheels as the rear is looking a bit tired after repeated straightening out rim dings and is struggling to stay airtight tubeless.
I'm considering whether to stay 27.5 or go to 29, or even a mix, but unsure given I'm vertically challenged? and I want to retain the levos playfulness (I'm between sizes and purposefully sized down to a small to achieve this).
Budget is about 600 quid and would like a set with a bit of bling to them. Had good experience with Mavic over the years and they have some nice sets and also like the look of the new Crank Bros Lithium. So any of you got advice on wheels size firstly given my height and riding style, and secondly on products.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Pez

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Yeah I've seen all the sales bumpf but interested if anyone has any real work experience, (given there aren't any on line reviews yet) or any general advice on how such an upgrade affects handling for us little guys?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Unless Crank Bros have made dramatic improvements to their wheels I would stay well clear. Had two mates who trashed them in very short order. One on an enduro set and one on DH. The enduro wheels were on a Haibike Nduro and were extremely dissapointing.

What about a higher spec set of Specialized Roval wheels? You get a lot of bang for your buck there.

DEADMEAT

Jul 17, 2018
Hertfordshire
Unless Crank Bros have made dramatic improvements to their wheels I would stay well clear. Had two mates who trashed them in very short order. One on an enduro set and one on DH. The enduro wheels were on a Haibike Nduro and were extremely dissapointing.

What about a higher spec set of Specialized Roval wheels? You get a lot of bang for your buck there.

Everything i'd read recently suggested they've done just that, which is why my Mrs put some Iodine 2's on her Kenevo and i have to say they seem totally solid. Do some more current research before you trash them completely :)

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
MarkH asked for experience. While my experience in based on their existing wheels (which was made clear in my post) it is still relevant. If you have them and they are working out OK that's great however, until there is some ongoing positive experience, to me, placing money elsewhere at this time would be a more prudent investment......

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles