Edit: Will Fox Float X2 shock fit a rise?

Benjimax

Feb 3, 2019
U.K.
Hi
As per title really - scoured the forums but not managed to find out if a fox x2 will fit a Rise - anyone tried?
Thanks!

Benjimax

Feb 3, 2019
U.K.
over kill X2 the rise is a trail bike
Look at getting a coil

My mistake I meant the Float X2 air shock, not the coil.

Considering a coil also but looking at the air shock to add less less weight

EDIT: updated thread title to make it clearer

Last edited:

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
over kill X2 the rise is a trail bike
Look at getting a coil
I've got an X2 on my non-E 150/140 trail bike (with a 36 on the front) which has really similar geometry to the rise (but is 650b). Not overkill at all for what you can do with that sort of bike (I use it for uplifted big mountain days - I dont' have a bigger bike).

The X2 definitely rides significantly better than the previous Fox shocks I'd had (various non piggy back shocks, some push tuned). Most reviewers seem to say the difference between the X2 and DPX2 shocks is very small but to me the rear on my non-E feels better than the rise - However, I don't know if that's the lower unsprung weight or the x2 vs the DPX2.

One thing I would say, the X2 is completely non-user serviceable and every time I've had it serviced it's needed some expensive replacement part. I've never had that with any other Fox shock (and I've heard other stories of the X2 being problematic but you never know if that's representative or not).

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
whats on the rise as standard? difference between a DPX2 and an X2 is probably very small. it'll be better but will you be able to tell?

Benjimax

Feb 3, 2019
U.K.
whats on the rise as standard? difference between a DPX2 and an X2 is probably very small. it'll be better but will you be able to tell?
Dpx2 as standard. Reason behind changing is I'm looking to mullet and increase travel to 160mm using 216x63 shock, and it seems there aren't many air options in that size nowadays.

PhilS

Mar 1, 2021
UK
I would like an X2 on my Rise, but have been told the air can just contacts the frame at the end of the travel. Could be worth testing if you can get hold of one, as frames all vary slightly with the carbon layup.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I would like an X2 on my Rise, but have been told the air can just contacts the frame at the end of the travel. Could be worth testing if you can get hold of one, as frames all vary slightly with the carbon layup.

I think theres more chance of them fitting if you have a large of X-large frame, what sizes are we talking about here?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

They ride very differently IME. And the X2 is far more tunable. I swap between them on my Hightower. The X2 has a plusher feel and I can set it up better for "enduro days" and bike park or big mountain days. The DPX2 is better for racing or faster XC/trail rides.

KGA109

Mar 5, 2022
Salt Lake City
Bumping an old thread to reinstate the topic - who has been successfully using a Fox X2 on their Rise? i have one on mine right now but the air can is incredibly close to the frame upon compression, that it makes me pretty nervous (have not rode the bike yet, other than on the street).

I am a huge fan of the X2 and really want to use it, but I literally put a piece of masking tape on the can, slowly compressed the shock and the frame scratched / tore the tape. Thats close.

I threw my DPX2 back on it, but curious if anyone has braved the clearance of the X2.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Bumping an old thread to reinstate the topic - who has been successfully using a Fox X2 on their Rise? i have one on mine right now but the air can is incredibly close to the frame upon compression, that it makes me pretty nervous (have not rode the bike yet, other than on the street).

I am a huge fan of the X2 and really want to use it, but I literally put a piece of masking tape on the can, slowly compressed the shock and the frame scratched / tore the tape. Thats close.

I threw my DPX2 back on it, but curious if anyone has braved the clearance of the X2.
I'd say that's a no - you're going to damage the frame. You can only go so far on a compression test with no air in the shock as you'll never compress the bump stop as much as it would a on really big hit.

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
The main differences are the Float X2 is a higher volume shock. It also allows for adjustments to the high speed compression and rebound, while the dpx2 only allows for adjusting low speed of both.

scrufftv

Jul 18, 2021
London
I was stupid enough to buy a brand new X2 to fit to my XL Rise hoping that there would be more room, but there isn’t. Same as the report on the medium, as the can passes under the top tube it just scrapes past, taking the sticker off the can. There is more room for water bottles and range extenders, they fit fine. Having scratched the can I can’t return it so I’m going to run it like this with close monitoring. The contact doesn’t get worse once you are past the brush point, so compressing further under a hard impact should not make it worse in theory. I’m a light old man rider in any case, so no big drops or jumps. Will report back if I die ;).

scrufftv

Jul 18, 2021
London
First ride went well, running 160 Lyric upfront and mullet, no offset bushings. Super plush front and rear, can’t believe I put up with the 36 for so long. Was checking after every small jump or drop and with the Fox base settings I’m not getting full travel in any case so the contact point is never made. Using up most of the travel though and I’m happy with that. Got some offset bushings on order to play with and was thinking will a front or rear one in a certain direction give a tiny reduction in clearance for the can?

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire

What size frame?

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire
I was stupid enough to buy a brand new X2 to fit to my XL Rise hoping that there would be more room, but there isn’t. Same as the report on the medium, as the can passes under the top tube it just scrapes past, taking the sticker off the can. There is more room for water bottles and range extenders, they fit fine. Having scratched the can I can’t return it so I’m going to run it like this with close monitoring. The contact doesn’t get worse once you are past the brush point, so compressing further under a hard impact should not make it worse in theory. I’m a light old man rider in any case, so no big drops or jumps. Will report back if I die ;).
Are you using the stock 210x55mm size or 213x60 with offset bushings. Can you post some pics please?.

scrufftv

Jul 18, 2021
London
I meant 216x63mm with offset bushings.
It’s the 8.5” x 2.5” which I believe is the same thing. I have the bushings but not fitted them yet. As it stands I’m happy with it as I never get near the full compression mark with my style of riding. Pic shows the sticker rub when compressed fully by hand with no air in, so to answer the question is it any better in an XL frame, the answer is no and I don’t recommend it at all, unless you are a tame rider with it set up to never reach full compression I guess, which for a lot of people will kind of negate having the larger shock in the first place. I got to say though it’s a lovely plush shock in comparison, very happy.

5F754DAD-4491-4DFF-9D3D-7AC2BE5A1289.jpeg

B2D974A0-75E6-4563-9759-03B097544360.jpeg

6C63A369-CEF2-429F-B158-916C7E60E9AE.jpeg

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
That’s a shame
I have an XL frame and looking for a shock with high and low speed damping to match my new fox 36 grip 2. I was hoping there would be a way but being at 6’3 and looking for more exciting trails it’s not worth the risk.

Is there another similar suitable option that fits?

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Or thinking further, modify the can to clear. Basically grind a bit off. How thick is the can though? Anyone know?

I suppose in the interests of saving weight…. Not very thick at all. And it’s still got to hold the pressure ramp up

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
appears there is no fixed orientation either going purely by the pic

Cpt_Ahab

Dec 15, 2023
AT
It’s the 8.5” x 2.5” which I believe is the same thing. I have the bushings but not fitted them yet. As it stands I’m happy with it as I never get near the full compression mark with my style of riding. Pic shows the sticker rub when compressed fully by hand with no air in, so to answer the question is it any better in an XL frame, the answer is no and I don’t recommend it at all, unless you are a tame rider with it set up to never reach full compression I guess, which for a lot of people will kind of negate having the larger shock in the first place. I got to say though it’s a lovely plush shock in comparison, very happy.
Thx for the information. But it should be pretty fine with a liiiitle bit more clearance via a simple offset bushing, right?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles