Ebike rated Carbon hoops.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
After destroying every wheel on the market, i set out to build my own.
Since i have become partial to a mixer i struggled to find a good strong matching hoops front to rear.
After a year of design, countless hours of 3D cad analysis and 6 months bashing with no inserts i finally came up with a carbon hoop that will survive on my 54lbs Enduro ebike on some of the chunkiest trails you can find.
These are wide to give the heavy ebike and heavy riders the side wall support with plus size tires.
Front is 29x38 internal and rear is 27.5x 42 internal.
After months of everything from 32 to 50 internal widths i found this combo to be the best all around combo.
There not light by carbon standard at almost 600g and 550g but they take a beating for those aggressive enduro riders.
2B713211-54FF-43C6-B40C-5DA299C7D5FE.jpeg

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Yes. I am working on a 27.5 setup now.
One of the things i found is even though the ebike is only average of 20lbs heavier. It weight balance in corners is considerably different then conventional Mtb. In testing we are seeing considerably more front tire load on corner entry with same rider on an ebike to a none ebike with similar geometry none Ebike.
And on corner exit ebike transfers more load to rear tire. The ebike transfers load at a much higher force from front to rear as it goes through the corner.
What i found quite interesting was the load front to rear stayed very similar from rider to rider, but the timing as to when the load changes changed dramatically from rider to rider.
What was really interesting was seeing the load variations of data logger weight at only 2.6lbs and how it affected the bike more then the 30lbs rider difference when you changed where you mounted logger to the bike by only couple inches.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Interesting, you bringing these to market?
Yes, they will also come on a spec bike we are building.
TNT spec Fantic Integra 180 FreeRide.
Which is almost a dead copy of the bike i been racing minus the spool Valve suspension technology.
Hopefully next year we will be able to sell the bike and the spool valve suspension.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I had a brief go yesterday on the Fantic that @Rob Hancill is testing at the moment, nothing more than a burn round a car park, but have to say despite having too short handlebars and a short drop dropper on it, it felt right straightaway in that weird un - tangible way that some bikes just do. Only thing I thought was a bit counterintuitive was the mode controller switch.

Cant wait to see what you are working on

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I had a brief go yesterday on the Fantic that @Rob Hancill is testing at the moment, nothing more than a burn round a car park, but have to say despite having too short handlebars and a short drop dropper on it, it felt right straightaway in that weird un - tangible way that some bikes just do. Only thing I thought was a bit counterintuitive was the mode controller switch.

Cant wait to see what you are working on
Has Rob Changed out the tires yet??
The stock tires on that bike are not the greatest match.
Yes agree 100%, i run a 25mm riser bar and a 5mm spacer under the stem a 35mm stem along with a 120mm dropper.
The draw back to that bike is the bars, tires, rim witdth and 100mm dropper

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don't think he has had time to yet, but the tyres on it (some sort of Vittorias I think) where definitely about as far away as possible form what you would want to run on a bike like that in the British winter, almost a semi slick cross country tyre

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup he was saying you had been super helpful, gotta lover the internet sometimes ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles