eBike part durability

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Keep in mind there is a big difference between sprung and unsprung weight.......stationary weight and rotating weight. Its not just about absolute weight.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Keep in mind there is a big difference between sprung and unsprung weight.......stationary weight and rotating weight. Its not just about absolute weight.

Newbie here :D

Or actually, no, not a newbie, as I ride all the time - let's say I'm less of a hobbyist than most others here.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I edited my post to add some suggestions that will save you money and make your bike more suitable but will cut and paste it here as you may have missed it.

If you do stick with this bike though you can run a much more suitable. hard wearing and economical (but in many ways superior) drivetrain. Go with 10 speed Shimano. A tough all steel SLX HG81 11-36 cassette is £28, KMC 10 speed chains can be bought for £10 or so. A Zee rear mech (one of the best all round mechs ever) is £40 and a Zee rear shifter (ditto) is £17. Buy the generic N/W 7075 34t rings from eBay for under £10.

If you work on these prices for your parts consumed plus say £60 for the tyre and sets of pads (Superstar pads are fine) then your running costs are about £1 per commuting day - not bad and you're getting fit too!
Agree. I'm running 10 speed Zee on mine. Cheaper, more robust, better shifting, and I don't need the dinner plate cog anyway.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The cost of those parts are higher than the service costs for a modest car!
er...
If cost is a worry for you fit shimano 10 speed components.
cassettes are about £20, chains about a tenner and decent NW chainrings five quid.
it's MOAR durable than 11 or 12 speed too

12 speed Eagle X01 is x10 that price. but it's the cutting edge of mtb drivtrain componentry
Try buying service parts for a brand new race car for the same price.

A "modest" bike would have an 8 speed freewheel, Acera drivetrain and V brakes

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
But there are some potholes a mile wide and my ass will get pummelled to death without the full suspension
don't know if anyone has covered this but modern air sprung suspension isn't actually all that great at dealing with potholes and rough road surfaces unless you set it up in a manner detrimental to good handling.
Larger volume commuting tyres at a lower pressure and soft comfortable grips is on the whole probably a better option than 150mm of mtb suspension for rough commuting comfort.
better still though learn to avoid potholes in the first place.
as for your ass getting pummelled. STAND UP and use your arms and legs to suspend your ass over the roughest ground.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
learn to avoid potholes in the first place.
as for your ass getting pummelled. STAND UP and use your arms and legs to suspend your ass over the roughest ground.
I’m way too lazy to stand up. And I have a straight through attitude to all things :)

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Is this the highest mileage ebike on here? Can anyone beat 10k?

Im amazed how little parts that's needed.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Is this the highest mileage ebike on here? Can anyone beat 10k?

Im amazed how little parts that's needed.
Time for a new thread I think! must be one of the highest - there's an old boy near me who has a 2017 Levo with nearly 20k on it

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Sorry but with the very greatest respect this is a bit of an odd rant.

Presuming you are riding say five days out of seven for 52 weeks a year = 40 miles every single day and you're complaining that you've gone through one tyre and a few drivetrain and brake consumables??

And somehow it is Specialized or the component makers fault??

:LOL:

Sorry but why on earth choose a 50 lb 150mm travel EMTB for a commute? Where is your commute that needs a heavy duty, inefficient, slow and expensive off road bike like that?

I bought my Haibike SDURO 150mm travel bike specifically for commuting; I have a bad SI joint and it is actually more comfortable for me to ride to work on that than to drive my car.

I could only tolerate about one commute a week on my cyclocross bike plus a short mountain bike ride before; now I’m riding to work every day plus a nice long trail ride.

Commuting on full suspension is deluxe and comes only at the slight cost of increased wear.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles