Ebike carriers?

Grez

Oct 25, 2018
Derby
New to the world of EMTB and just got a XL Kenevo.

My current method of transportation is a Thule pro ride roof mount and it isn’t man enough so looking at toe bar options I’m considering Thule velo compact 925 and 927. They are very similar but the difference is two bike and the other is three. Has any body had two Ebikes on the 925 as it’s only rated to 46kg. The 927 is 60kg. Is it just marketing speil. I’m guessing the toe bar hitches are the same.

Thoughts and advice please

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Depending on the car many tow bars have limits below 50 kg as well, just saying.

Karsten

Grez

Oct 25, 2018
Derby
Depending on the car many tow bars have limits below 50 kg as well, just saying.

Karsten

Kia Sportage. I’ve not had it fitted yet I was opting for a swan neck none retractable. I’ll check the load capacity. Thanks for the heads up

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
I use this.

Thule 938AU VeloSpaceXT 2 Bike Carrier - Thule Australia

Actually a superseded version I got for about half the price. Still not cheap but it’s holding a lot of moneys worth.

It’s easy to use but heavy and a bit cumbersome. Would recommend but I still feel a little nervous with all that weight just on the townball. Would have maybe felt better if I’d gone for one of the types that slides into the 50mm hitch point.

RickW

Oct 2, 2018
UK
got Thule Easyfold 2 for 2 2019 levos arms fit on downtube on one; seat tube on the other

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think importing the Van to Aus might negate the saving there.
Ps. Where do you get tax and insurance for £80?

completely the other end of the spectrum but this was £50 here (in the UK) in Decathlon :
Thule Xpress 2
It will take one Emtb fine, But buy a couple of separate bunges to secure the bike(s) more. The built in strap is just a short nylon one with a basic clasp/buckle fastening
best thing about it is these is they come in a durable little drawstring bag and can be kept folded in the car at all times ready to be used at any time.

I also have a 3 bike thule ride-on wheel truss style towbar rack with lightboard costing 5 times the price that can take 2 DH bikes (or Ebikes) or 3 normal mtbs but I rarely use it.
like this:
thule_rideon_9503_3b_hero_iso_950300_sized_900x600_rev_1.jpg

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
I think importing the Van to Aus might negate the saving there.
Ps. Where do you get tax and insurance for £80?

completely the other end of the spectrum but this was £50 here (in the UK) in Decathlon :
Thule Xpress 2
It will take one Emtb fine, But buy a couple of separate bunges to secure the bike(s) more. The built in strap is just a short nylon one with a basic clasp/buckle fastening
best thing about it is these is they come in a durable little drawstring bag and can be kept folded in the car at all times ready to be used at any time.

I also have a 3 bike thule ride-on wheel truss style towbar rack with lightboard costing 5 times the price that can take 2 DH bikes (or Ebikes) or 3 normal mtbs but I rarely use it.
like this:
thule_rideon_9503_3b_hero_iso_950300_sized_900x600_rev_1.jpg
this will cut into your tow ball and ruin it for towing with a friction stabiliser- I would prefer a bolt on option?

Reactions: Dax

Grez

Oct 25, 2018
Derby
I’ve opted for the velospace XT 2 it can carry up to 60kg and a ebike weight of 30kg each so will managed 2 e-bikes with ease I also like the Idea of the bike channels being further apart and 1300mm long for a XL bike. I’ve managed to get it for £410 through the cyclescheme so saved another 40% off the price works out at just under £20 a month for 12 months. Result :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No one gets excited over poor advice ever.
I'm actually having a great day.
thanks for caring.

Reactions: Dax

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
Mercedes Vito Sport X - 224 bhp V6 creamy smooth diesel automatic - 5 seats - fun while you're not e-biking and can ferry the family about. Best vehicle i have ever owned, if i could marry a vehicle I would....obviously after my e-bike...

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
No one gets excited over poor advice ever.
I'm actually having a great day.
thanks for caring.
I was speaking from experience as I have used a "clamp on" bike rack - and it did dig into the tow ball and when I went to collect my first caravan in 2001 I had to buy a new hitch before I could use the Alko Friction Stabiliser, when this happened I had the Volvo removeable hitch and it cost me over £250 back then - but if you dont tow and arn't bothered about scoring your tow ball then rock on.
Besides a clamp on is never going to feel solid.

Luckily my tow car has a removeable bracket with holes which I can bolt a rack onto..
p4pb16568805.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You sure it wasn't from towing heavy caravans up the Wiltshire Alps on rusty towballs?

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Being serious for a moment, I was told that I would have to pay main dealer prices to have a towbar fitted as the cars ‘brain’ needs to be told that the towbar has been fitted, otherwise it will affect the reversing sensors and cameras. Is this correct or is someone winding me up?

Topham

Nov 2, 2018
North Wales
Being serious for a moment, I was told that I would have to pay main dealer prices to have a towbar fitted as the cars ‘brain’ needs to be told that the towbar has been fitted, otherwise it will affect the reversing sensors and cameras. Is this correct or is someone winding me up?
Yes and no mate

I’ve got a Vw amarok, v6 2018 spec. They do however come with tow bar prep.

It cost me 115 for the flange, tow hitch, and gubbins, then it cost me 149 for the dedicated electric kit with a byepass relay. Took me about an hour to fit myself, then popped it to a place to have coded. Total cost about 255.

If you only using a cycle carrier you could get away without coding the car. Just means the electrics don’t function properly with parking sensors etc. Obvs depends what car you have

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire
New to the world of EMTB and just got a XL Kenevo.

My current method of transportation is a Thule pro ride roof mount and it isn’t man enough so looking at toe bar options I’m considering Thule velo compact 925 and 927. They are very similar but the difference is two bike and the other is three. Has any body had two Ebikes on the 925 as it’s only rated to 46kg. The 927 is 60kg. Is it just marketing speil. I’m guessing the toe bar hitches are the same.

Thoughts and advice please
I use the 927 Thule for 3 bikes. No problems with weight very solid on tow bar much to my surprise! The rubber straps only just go around the wheel/tyre on the 27.5 2.8" so any bigger sizes you will struggle. I've had 2 electric and one ordinary bike on this rack and it coped ok. The only thing to check is the extra weight ok for your vehicles handling etc

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought recently the Thule Velospace XT. It has a 13-pin socket, weighs 18.7 kg, is suitable for up to 1300 mm wheelbase and tyres up to 4.7" wide. Capacity is two bikes up to 30kg each. Buy an extra bit and you can carry three bikes. I don't think it's three bikes at 30kg each though.

I got it from Halfords who were selling it at £425 instead of the rrp of £475. But when I opted for click and collect at a local Halfords, I got another 10% off. They didn't tell me it was cheaper for c&c, I just saw the discount after I'd pressed buy. It seems to be a very robust and flexible bit of kit, well made etc. It absolutely has not moved a fraction whilst in use. The keys are a bit tricky to get into the locks, but I suppose that keeps the muck out. I installed some brackets on the inside garage wall with some pipe insulation on them to store the folded up rack. The plug fits into the socket easily enough but I just could not get the barsteward thing back out again! There was nothing in the instructions that there is a detent to overcome that needs a little extra twist to overcome before the plug can be easily withdrawn from the socket. Once I knew about the detent, it was a doddle.

I discovered today that the two clamps can't be locked by the key, so they will be going back tomorrow. :(

I have bought the PF Jones Westfalia detachable towbar for £485 inc vat. That included fitting and also coding to my Audi A5 plus a free courtesy car. (Audi quoted over £1300 without the courtesy car)! The towbar kit comes with a lifetime guarantee for the towbar and the dedicated electrics. I installed the Thule rack to the towbar and checked that everything worked before I left the garage. :)

On the way home (1hr 30 mins trip), the Audi Pre-sense emergency braking system went off and has remained off. I only found out today what the warning symbol actually meant, I had thought it was telling me that the Audi pre-sense could see the bike rack. I also got a "key not recognised" message that appeared than went away. Today the main Navigation system went dark and the back up on the dashboard is on for 2 secs and off for 12 secs. The nav symbols don't appear on the head up display either. I'm also getting a "seats not occupied" message for the three passenger seats appearing at random intervals. Probably a loose connection somewhere. Looks like a trip back to the garage, I hope it doesn't take them as many hours to resolve as it did to install. That would be another whole day out. :mad:

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Thanks folks.. sounds like too much of a faff for me. for now i'll carry on struggling to get the bike in the back of the car!
Also just wondering if having the work done not at main dealer would affect the warranty on your car if something went wrong with the electrics and main dealer had to rectify the faults.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I spoke to the Tow Bar Depot in Sheffield and they could not have been more helpful. None of the expected "it was OK when it left us" malarkey! It is booked in for next Wed when they have a courtesy car available, just in case it takes a while. Obviously I'd rather not have had this problem, but as I have been told before "it's not whether you have a problem or not it is how it is dealt with that brings the customers back!"

I accept that the car's on board electrickery is more complex than usual; it is "launch spec", ie one provided by Audi to the dealers with every bell and whistle on it so that customers could look and feel instead of just being told. But then again, I've never had a tow bar fitted before and this is their business, so if it was important, they should have asked. The technician believed that it would be something simple. Let's hope so! :unsure:

Charlie

Nov 3, 2018
Galway, Ireland
I have the cheaper Thule on a detachable.
Didn't notice any wear yet.
Batteries can be removed to get weight nearer the limit.
Makes lifting them easier too.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks folks.. sounds like too much of a faff for me. for now i'll carry on struggling to get the bike in the back of the car!
Also just wondering if having the work done not at main dealer would affect the warranty on your car if something went wrong with the electrics and main dealer had to rectify the faults.

I have had intermittent back problems ever since I dislocated a vertebrae in 1996, so I'm a bit cautious about lifting heavy stuff whilst bent over. Loading a 13kg bike (less as no front wheel) in the back of the car, is a doddle. I do not wish to contemplate that with an eBike. Hence the tow bar and rack.

Ref the warranty. The car is still under its 3 -year warranty and I had not considered the effect of fitting an aftermarket tow bar integrated to the cars electrickery. By the way, when I contacted Audi to see what they would charge (and recoiled in horror!), the guy never warned me about any possible impact on my warranty. I do hope that all will be well. :unsure:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Just make one, this cost me around $60 AUD. Its made the way it is as i do alot of offroad stuff and didnt want to compromise departure angle with a towbar style carrier. This good for about 600kg haha

View attachment 7768
Mate, call the police - someone stole the back half of your car... ;)

Only joking. Nice McGyver skills on that homebrew rack. :cool:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles