E8000 still worth it?

Jfeko

Sep 6, 2020
London
I have an opportunity to get myself an e8000 motored bike within my price range but obviously shimano have now released their ep8 and also bosch are available within my range also.

The E8000 bike has a better spec than the bosch I can afford.

Is the E8000 still considered a decent motor or is it really outdated now?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
My understanding is that they have introduced a free-wheel system in the new unit. With the current version, you would hit extra resistance from the motor at over 25 km/h or when you're riding without assistance (e.g. once your battery is dead).

This would be a reason to reject the e8000 for me. But that's just a personal thing.

If anybody knows better, feel free to correct me on this point.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I still think it is a decent motor, I have it in my Jam2 and have covered over 1700 miles with no issues, I can only think of two occasions when I really wanted more power.

It can get a little noisy when worked hard but not too bad, it feels natural to ride to me, only in boost is it a bit on and off.

I am considering upgrading mine but that's mainly for one with a larger built in battery.

Edit: Reading the above post, I don't notice any resistance at all really, obviously at the 15.5mph cut off it's noticeable but that's mainly to the fact you have to work harder to ride at that speed on any bike, motor or not. I quite often ride mine without any assistance, not as much fun though...

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
Approaching 2500 trouble free miles on my e8000. Like above, I only notice motor when it's in boost, other than that it's smooth to me.

I wouldn't worry about it being obsolete, it's proven and reliable, all the hiccups have been worked out and it has good support online. I'm always nervous when it comes to cars and bikes in the first model year, I don't want to help work all the kinks out.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I expect there will be some great deals on 2020 E8000 bikes, I was almost tempted with a 2020 Merida e160 8000, only the 504wh battery isn't much of an improvement on mine.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I wouldnt let it put you off, I have two bikes with it, and have tried most of the newer motors (ep8 excepted) and whilst they have a bit more power, its not game changing or significantly better to make me want to upgrade my bike.

I think battery size is more of a consideration.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
From the list of bikes I've seen released with the new EP8 motor most appear to be sticking with the smaller 504w battery. So it's the same battery that the E8000 has. I'm sure the new motor is going to be a hit and I'll be the first to admit I usually like the newest shiniest toy but the E8000 has been great in my bike and I've never thought "Hey I really wish I had more power".

So I would still be ok buying an eBike with the older motor.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have been through two really wet winters on mine and I've had ZERO problems with my e8000. It was that motor that persuaded me to buy the Focus Jam2 that was wearing it. The way the motor delivers power just felt more natural than all the other motors I tested.

A friend of mine has done approaching 6000 miles on his in less than two years, and his motor is chipped so that he can go up to 31mph under power before cut out. Only now as he is approaching the expiry of his two-year warranty is he having problems with the bottom bracket. I think he has been lucky!

AdrianJW

Aug 26, 2018
Oxford
I have an opportunity to get myself an e8000 motored bike within my price range but obviously shimano have now released their ep8 and also bosch are available within my range also.

I have been using my E8000 powered Merida eONE-SIXTY for over 2 years now and the motor has been faultless. I cannot think of one occasion where I have thought that I needed more torque; the level of assist in boost has always been more than adequate, any more and the bike would become difficult to control, although I am not heavy (66kg).
Technically, motor drag is minimal from the E8000 when it cuts out; it's difficult to be sure how much resistance is due to the motor or simply the weight of the bike but it's never been a big issue for me. The The EP8 may have marginally less resistance but the pay off for that is rattling from the motor when it is disengaged.
I would pick a better spec bike with the E8000 over a lower spec bike with EP8 every time.

Mybrainaches

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
My understanding is that they have introduced a free-wheel system in the new unit. With the current version, you would hit extra resistance from the motor at over 25 km/h or when you're riding without assistance (e.g. once your battery is dead).

This would be a reason to reject the e8000 for me. But that's just a personal thing.

If anybody knows better, feel free to correct me on this point.

Mine pedals quite nicely either off or over the limit, I think it’s ok. But it’s not zero resistance.

youngie

Feb 27, 2019
halifax
193523EA-95BE-44C6-9213-762CF532FB1B.jpeg

Had mine with e8000 two years now and got a great deal recently from ? on the ? 2018 alpine-e with e8000.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I basically agree with the recent assessment of the gen 4 bosch...now you can eat glazed donuts on the way up...I have the 2018 e8000 in the commencal meta power 650b..I ride it in NorCal. Boost is for racing ( my son insisted I do the last actual sea otter race on boost) , otherwise why would ya take the effort out of "BIKING" ...go buy a motorcycle!! What you peeps are doing is buying into the endless cycles of "I need the latest". Like tail fins on 1970s cars. The very idea that ya gotta Chuck a durable goods item at end of warranty is kinda disturbing to me. I keep bikes more than 2 years. I seem to be in the minority. The lack of rebuildability of the Shimano bottom bracket is scandalous to tell you the honest truth... when somebody masters it and gets it done for $250 or 250 "quid is it" then and only then will e-bikes reach their potential. Potential is reasonable durability and easy access to parts and service... conspicuously missing it appears to.me. to me all this non durability strikes at the heart of the Japanese industrial legacy and is major loss of face.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia

The e8000 is a great proven motor and would buy a bike speced with one without issue. If I had to buy an EP8 bike, i would wait a year for any bugs to work their way out but I rarely buy a first issue of of anything. If you find a bike you want and it has an e8000 go for it. I don't think you will regret it.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have owned a 2019 Scott with the e8000, a 2019 Levo with the Brose and a 2020 Scott with the Bosch.
To me, the most natural feeling was the e8000 - did everything in a nice manner and everyone that had a play on it felt comfortable fairly quickly. The only reason I moved on is that my svelt 112 kegs sucks the W/h on the trails I ride. If I could have purchased a 700 W/h battery for it I would still have it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles