E7000 motor broke down upgrade to e8000?

Bruuttus

May 11, 2020
Finland
I have Merida ebike with e7000 motor but like every other e7000 motor it broke down after few years. I got around 1k Km out of it so not so bad. But I want to buy e8000 motor now.
Some people are saying I need new controls, display and battery for it. Is it true? I called the reseller and they said that I only need the e8000 motor.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I have Merida ebike with e7000 motor but like every other e7000 motor it broke down after few years. I got around 1k Km out of it so not so bad. But I want to buy e8000 motor now.
Some people are saying I need new controls, display and battery for it. Is it true? I called the reseller and they said that I only need the e8000 motor.

You only need the E8000 motor, everything is compatible between E7000 and E8000. After buying the motor it requires to configure a couple parameters in motor configuration: Motor angle and Wheel circumference, you should use the values in old motor. But your LBS should know about this.

Bruuttus

May 11, 2020
Finland
You only need the E8000 motor, everything is compatible between E7000 and E8000. After buying the motor it requires to configure a couple parameters in motor configuration: Motor angle and Wheel circumference, you should use the values in old motor. But your LBS should know about this.
Thanks!
I changed the settings Abit myself so I'm going to do this myself as well. Is there some site that helps with them ?

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Some quick recommendations:
* Shimano Dealer Manual explains how to remove motor, the bolt torque, etc. Also there should be many youtube videos.
* Don't forget to unplug battery cable, If motor hangs from it the connector will break
* You will need the special Shimano Tool TL-FC39 to remove the chainring spider

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles