E160S Zeb fork travel change

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Has anyone tried increasing the travel of the Zeb on the E160?
Mine is a year old and will go for a 200 hour service shortly. Was wondering about increasing the travel to 180 at the same time.

I know there will be howls of 'spoiling the geometry' etc.....but has anyone tried it? If so how much difference did it make to steering and BB height?

Do you foresee any warranty issues on the frame?

I am a heavier rider and a bit more travel might be advantageous and I expect it is a cheap change to make at service time.

For info I have already installed the shape-it link to raise the BB 4mm (didn't notice any difference to the handling), one of the reasons for doing so was the extra sag I was seeing after fitting a meg neg to the shock).

johnc

Oct 13, 2018
Scotland/East Midlands
one of the reasons for doing so was the extra sag I was seeing after fitting a meg neg to the shock).[/QUOTE said:
Not sure why you have more sag from fitting megneg you just need to add more air. Or am I missing something.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
yes - you're missing 96Kg of body mass in my pants and then a limit on how much extra air you can actually pump into the can! I bought a higher pressure pump to help get it up to 300psi, but even then the sag is more like 35%.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The main/most noticeable downside will be the front end wanting to lift more when climbing. This means you have to get over the front end more, which in turn reduces traction out back a bit.

personally I would try 170 as that’s still a lot of travel out front

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
The main/most noticeable downside will be the front end wanting to lift more when climbing. This means you have to get over the front end more, which in turn reduces traction out back a bit.

personally I would try 170 as that’s still a lot of travel out front
Take your point. Maybe an incremental approach is the way to go. It's also true that there are a couple of corners on my usual climbs that can catch me out - I even came off on one recently (shame faced emoji). I could always go to 180 at the next service if I want to find the limit. Assuming nothing else comes in to the contrary I'll go with your advice. Still wondering if someone has tried it on an actual bike - can't believe nobody has given it a shot.

Gus

Jan 2, 2021
emtSpike61
I am looking to do same thing with my Fox 38s.
Up hill performance is not my main concern, but feel the E 160 could be slacker and have more travel/reach out front For DH performance.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
now done all the twisty tech climbs I did before the change and seen no difference, so very glad I did the upgrade. Next year I might even try 180mm

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
interesting. i haven't come across the smash pot before. seems like a nice idea. Have you used it on the Zeb?

Have to say I do really like the Zeb. though it does stiffen between lower leg services - Finbar Saunders anyone?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Just looking atm.
Coil on the rear is fantastic so wonder what the front could be like, although it's cracking atm.
My seals were bone dry from new

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles