e160rs frame housing

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Has anyone dropped the motor on an e160RS ? I have an aluminium bash guard ( the one someone on this site makes) which bolts into the frame tube at the front and has a strong velcro pad at the back.

It keeps popping off at the back when it clips a log or something. I was thinking of drilling a 6mm hole, tapping and securing with a bolt into the frame or a
whyte_motor1.jpg
whyte_motor2.jpg
threaded rivet. Has anyone done this and do you know what's behind the frame to be drilled ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would not do that! The fixing at the rear of the bash guard would be solid and any impact would either shear the bolt or crack the frame, which you will have weakened y drilling a hole in it. For a fixing on the ally frame to work it would have to be on a specifically reinforced section such that an impact load is spread.........it is after all only aluminium!
You are probably better off renewing the velcro and as a fail safe to stop it flapping about if the velcro fails you could fit a webbing strap to the bash guard and fix it around the chainstay cross member (at full extension). It would be loose when the chainstay is moved upward under suspension compression but at least serve to stop it moving too far. A modification of that method might be to use an elastic strap rather than webbing.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I would not do that! The fixing at the rear of the bash guard would be solid and any impact would either shear the bolt or crack the frame, which you will have weakened y drilling a hole in it. For a fixing on the ally frame to work it would have to be on a specifically reinforced section such that an impact load is spread.........it is after all only aluminium!
You are probably better off renewing the velcro and as a fail safe to stop it flapping about if the velcro fails you could fit a webbing strap to the bash guard and fix it around the chainstay cross member (at full extension). It would be loose when the chainstay is moved upward under suspension compression but at least serve to stop it moving too far. A modification of that method might be to use an elastic strap rather than webbing.
Thanks Mike
That’s good advice. I will try a strap and see if it holds it.
Geoff

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
I wouldn't drill either.

I'm a bit surprised that bolted correctly at the front, a stiff ali guard will flex enough to let go of the velcro at the back. Put a penny washer under that front bolt, and replace the velcro with new decent velcro. Maybe bend the rear guard tab a fag paper forward to grip the frame better.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks Tribey
I’ll try both those…..it doesn’t seem to take much to pop it off….the Velcro is the h/d 3m stuff which does seem secure.
……..but it does the job of saving the frame.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Yes that’s what I have on the tab part now……
I have tried another strip under the flat part now but haven’t tried it.
I have been looking at alternatives and the only ally one I can find says you have to drill the motor housing…….I may ask if they have done it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles