E13 freehub

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
My pro race e13 freehub isn’t spinning freely.
if I take my feet off the pedals the cranks want to turn, and when I stop pedalling the chainring turns which I’m sure will use battery power....

Ive had it to bits and cleaned it out as I thought it might have been grease making the pawls stick, no joy. It feels quite stiff when you turn the cassette by hand, definitely haven’t overtightened it as if I go any slacker there is side to side slogger.

Anyone have any ideas???? It’s doing me nut in!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
E13 wheels are absolutely awful. I've seen no end of issues with them
You could go down the route of replacing all the hub internals, bearings and axle but you'll just be back at this point again in no time.
Sadly it'll be far easier to just call it a day and buy a new (not E13) rear hub or complete wheel.

Last edited:

Maherto

Feb 22, 2020
Dublin
My pro race e13 freehub isn’t spinning freely.
if I take my feet off the pedals the cranks want to turn, and when I stop pedalling the chainring turns which I’m sure will use battery power....

Ive had it to bits and cleaned it out as I thought it might have been grease making the pawls stick, no joy. It feels quite stiff when you turn the cassette by hand, definitely haven’t overtightened it as if I go any slacker there is side to side slogger.

Anyone have any ideas???? It’s doing me nut in!
I had this issue and replaced the bearing on the freehub I popped the seal on old one and regressed while waiting for bearing one thing check you haven't pinched the rubber seal that can cause drag. I contacted E13 after and they sent a new one out also. I asked could they send a HG one which they did. I waiting until the sunrace cassette is toast then I will swap over I hated the trs cassette and only got just over 1000km out of it chain changed every 300 ish k.. I just ordered a set of hunt wheels as I have started to break spokes on the E13 wheels.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
So I took it to bits again today and I think I might have had a shim in the wrong position, cleaned it out completely and used som better grease and it’s running lovely now ? Ive read the comments about how awful they are I’d just like to try and stick with them seen as they are so expensive!!

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
E13 wheels are absolutely awful. I've seen no end of issues with them
You could go down the route of replacing all the hub internals, bearings and axle but you'll just be back at this point again in no time.
Sadly it'll be far easier to just call it a day and buy a new (not E13) rear hub or complete wheel.

It might be condition dependent. I’ve had great luck with mine despite being over 200 pounds and riding nothing but super steep Bay Area climbs. But of course weather is perfect here.
?‍♂️

Last edited:

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
It might be condition dependent. I’ve had great luck with mine despite being over 200 pounds and riding nothing but super steep Bay Area climbs. But of course weather is perfect here.
?‍♂️

FWIW I have ethirteen wheels on two bikes, the hubs have been trouble free for me and their carbon rims are some of the most durable. I ride in dry socal conditions so I can't speak to muddy conditions. As with all products YMMV, but if you solved your issue keep rocking them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles