E-BIke Tow Ball rack

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Three bikes yes, but not more on a tow ball because of the weight and leverage on the bar with a heavy bike three feet behind the ball.
I always put the heaviest bike on first, lightest one last, and if possible take anything easily removed off, battery (if possible), drinks bottles, lights, stuff like that.
In Australia, once you get more than two bikes on a horizontal rack you will be going over the 60% wheelbase rule too. I think if you need more than two bikes a vertical rack is the way to go. It does depend on the vehicle but sometimes any rack will exceed 60% of the wheelbase and technically not be legal.

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
I'm not talking about 3 e-bikes. But 3 bikes no matter what is the weight, i'm talking about the distance between each bike.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I'm not talking about 3 e-bikes. But 3 bikes no matter what is the weight, i'm talking about the distance between each bike.
There's enough options then if you look.
I don't think Thule do anything suitable, they didn't when I looked anyway, which is surprising from possibly the biggest manufacturer of bike racks.

Atera do a couple of options, if you can find stock.

I bought the XL e-bike rack, and made a modification to the third bike extension piece to suit a large bike. I also bought longer straps for the wheels and the frame clamps, to go round fatter frames.

I love how it works compared to my old rack, which was designed for narrower bikes. Plus I can get in the boot with this one, which I couldn't with my old one.
On the car that I use for going biking, the boot swings open like a door, rather than lifting up (Suzuki Vitara) and, whilst it still doesn't open wide, it opens enough to get stuff in and out, access the power wash I've got (just a battery thing, not high pressure).

I'm happy with the whole transport package now for forests and bike park trips.

I have three bikes on the rear rack, and two on the roof for when there's a car full of people.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I don’t spend money to waste any warranty modifying anything. Thanks anyway for your advice
It's not a hack up job, I simply made some extender brackets to move the third bike tray further back to make clearance, but if simple fabrication is beyond your skillset, you'll have to choose a different rack. Maybe something is available now, but when I was looking, absolutely nothing fitted three bikes far enough apart with enough weight capacity, so I HAD to do what I did because there was no option at the time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles