E-BIke Tow Ball rack

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
We have 2 large E-Bikes Focus Thron2 total weight is 53 Kg (26.5 kg each)

Anyone found a good double E-Bike rack for a tow ball. The issue I have is not enough space between the two bikes.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
This.

Screenshot_20230124_075201_Chrome~2.jpg

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
Yeh I can search for bike racks, Have done that. my question was more to my issue that I don't have enough room between the 2 bikes and specifically if anyone is using a bike rack with 2 large E-Bikes and found a rack that has enough space.
Most of the racks I can find may say E-Bike but seems bike racks haven't caught up with E-Bikes getting larger, their all built for smaller E-Bikes

and I posted in the AU forum area as I need a rack available to buy in AU, not racks people are posting about that we can't get here.

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
I use a three bike carrier and leave the middle empty
Thule velocompact

if we take a third bike [normally 1 EMTb & 2 mtb) I use the fourth bike adaptor, though it does give a bit of bounce due to weight

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Yeh I can search for bike racks, Have done that. my question was more to my issue that I don't have enough room between the 2 bikes and specifically if anyone is using a bike rack with 2 large E-Bikes and found a rack that has enough space.
Most of the racks I can find may say E-Bike but seems bike racks haven't caught up with E-Bikes getting larger, their all built for smaller E-Bikes

and I posted in the AU forum area as I need a rack available to buy in AU, not racks people are posting about that we can't get here.
Several of us here (myself included) have a tow bar mounted Buzzrack e-Scorpion 2 which carries 2 eBike no problem (in my case 2 X Trek Rails).

I believe there are others here who have similarly suitable Thule bike racks.

Both the above may or may not be available in AU.

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
Several of us here (myself included) have a tow bar mounted Buzzrack e-Scorpion 2 which carries 2 eBike no problem (in my case 2 X Trek Rails).

I believe there are others here who have similarly suitable Thule bike racks.

Both the above may or may not be available in AU.
Yup we have a Thule Velo Compact 2-Bike Platform but its too small for the 2 bigger bikes, only 190mm between bikes and thats not enough.

I also have a Buzzrack e-Scorpion 1 and really like it.

Just found what I was looking for, the Buzzrack e-Scorpion 2 has 300mm between bikes, that should be enough.

And I see they now have a Buzzrack e-Scorpion 2 XL which also has 300mm between bikes not sure what the difference is.

The Focus Thron2 looks around about the same size width wise as the Trek, both have Bosch motors so the e-Scorpion 2 should fit.

Thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have the Thule Velospace XT 2-bike carrier. Thule VeloSpace XT 2bike 13pin UK Model (938)

I have had two emtbs on there, with little difficulty. We just needed a bit of head scratching to make sure that our saddles went under each other's bars and that the pedals didn't get in the way. It was easy once we'd done it once.

One bike was a Large Focus Jam2 and the other was a medium Merida e160.

The rack is designed for fatbikes and/or emtbs. The bikes can weigh up to 30kg each and the tyre width is Max 4.7", more than you need for an emtb.

Wheel track centres are 250mm

Because it is stronger to carry more weight, at 18kg it is 4kg heavier than the normal 2-bike carrier. The one I pointed to is a 13-pin version, so any electrical gubbins on your car will be supported, provided it is installed correctly. It will need a 13-pin towbar or an adaptor plug if your towbar is 7-pin.

Last edited:

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
I have the Thule Velospace XT 2-bike carrier. Thule VeloSpace XT 2bike 13pin UK Model (938)

I have had two emtbs on there, with little difficulty. We just needed a bit of head scratching to make sure that our saddles went under each other's bars and that the pedals didn't get in the way. It was easy once we'd done it once.

One bike was a Large Focus Jam2 and the other was a medium Merida e160.

The rack is designed for fatbikes and/or emtbs. The bikes can weigh up to 30kg each and the tyre width up to 5" (I think, if that is important to you, best check). Anyway, it's certainly more than you need for an emtb.

Because it is stronger to carry more weight, at 18kg it is 4kg heavier than the normal 2-bike carrier. The one I pointed to is a 13-pin version, so any electrical gubbins on your car will be supported, provided it is installed correctly. It will need a 13-pin towbar or an adaptor plug if your towbar is 7-pin.
We have a GripSport, Australian made, that easily handles our two Trek rails if that’s any help.
lifetime Guarantee as well.
I looked at the GripSport looked like a good design. Ended up going for the Rack E-Scorpion 2 as that shows a 300mm space between each bikes wheel centres. I contacted Gripsport and they said their distance between bikes is 260mm

Currently the carrier we have is 119mm and not enough.

I opted for the E-Scorpion 2 as I've used their single bike carrier and like it. The only thing I don't like is their 2 part attachment method, screw the wheel and then turn the bolt handle a few times.

I see on a newer E-Scorpion 2XL uses a one action clamp handle more like the Thule carriers which I really prefer, a much nicer simpler attachment method.

E-Scorpion 2XL not available in AU

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 10.04.59 am.png

pmcdonald

Oct 22, 2021
NSW, Australia
Sounds like you're sorted, but if anyone else stumbles across this thread no issues with the Rockymounts Splitrail LS. Carried an XL Rail and L e160 no worries. At AU$720 it's relatively affordable and light to mount as well. 50mm Hitch mount only so no good if you've only got a towball.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
The inexpensive Hollywood Racks Sport Rider for electric bikes works for me. I have two 77lbs eMTB on it and it works fine.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
For carrying our two bikes my Thule Euroway G2 3 bike rack goes on the car once or twice each week and I like the super quick Thule towball attachment method. Leaving the towball in place means I don't have to change things over for a trailer too.
When the Euroway is off the car I can stand in the middle of it for easy carrying and it's fairly light.
The Velocompact also looks good.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I had exactly the same issues with bike centre distance. I ended up getting a German made 'Atera Strada E-bike XL', which is 230mm centre distance and is plenty, even for my 'Boost plus' axle bike.

I did fit an extra rail for a third (regular) bike, but had to modify it because it was way too close to the middle bike. It was an easy thing to modify but if you only need two bikes the regular rack will be fine without the extension anyway.

One little niggle is that the fog light is on the left, when technically it should be on the right hand side for RHD cars.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
We have 2 large E-Bikes Focus Thron2 total weight is 53 Kg (26.5 kg each)

Anyone found a good double E-Bike rack for a tow ball. The issue I have is not enough space between the two bikes.
This is the rack i use
Well made
Does the job just fine

Rocketb

Dec 31, 2022
Australia
That is some serious shit
But it is for motor cycles
Yeah it’s overbuilt. They started in motor bikes and ventured down the e-bike road. I spoke with the owner and he was great in guiding based on car and bike. Cheaper then gripsport and a lot cheaper then vertical tow ball racks.

Silver fox

Mar 21, 2021
Kelowna, B.C.
Thule T2 Pro XTR
This thing will run you $999C, but it is bulletproof. Folds down nicely so that rear doors, tailgates, etc. can be opened. It has roller wheels for transport. Fits 2 ebikes easily, with the arm locking onto the wheels (for those with carbon bike frames).

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I just purchased a Buzzrack e-Scorpion XL. Yet to use it but not bad value compared to the Thule at £377 and can carry 2 e-bikes.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I just purchased a Buzzrack e-Scorpion XL. Yet to use it but not bad value compared to the Thule at £377 and can carry 2 e-bikes.

That must be new as wasn't available when I bought mine but at 60kg and the wider section for the clamp arms that looks a decent improvement over the standard one (y)

More suited to full fat full suspension emtb's!

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
So no way to carry 3 or more modern bikes with enough space between to avoid any scratches.
even thule is struggling

Last edited:

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
A mate of mine has a Yakima Stage 2 that he really likes and carries his Giant Reign E and his wifes Trance E. Both pretty long bikes. Think he got it for about $1099 AU.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
So no way to carry 3 or more modern bikes with enough space between to avoid any scratches.
even thule is struggling
Three bikes yes, but not more on a tow ball because of the weight and leverage on the bar with a heavy bike three feet behind the ball.
I always put the heaviest bike on first, lightest one last, and if possible take anything easily removed off, battery (if possible), drinks bottles, lights, stuff like that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles