E -bike snobbery

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Buy the best frame you can, and upgrade if you need to or parts wear out.

I can get a basic Levo and what I really need - the 700Wh battery - for way less than an expert or comp with their bragging-rights components.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Buy the best frame you can, and upgrade if you need to or parts wear out.

I can get a basic Levo and what I really need - the 700Wh battery - for way less than an expert or comp with their bragging-rights components.

...or if the brand is not #1 priority just get something else for the price of the basic Levo with already 'bragging-rights' components and spend the rest on trips instead of upgrades... :)

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Not at all Gary, you play the cards you are dealt. Fortunately for me where I reside the laws are more amenable to my needs and my choice of e systems is not based on what the manufacturers think I need based on regulations that don't apply here.

jimmyjam

Sep 10, 2018
Surrey Hills, UK
I originally ordered the 2019 Comp, then changed my mind and got a good deal on the entry level. I’ve ordered a new dropper post off eBay and some Guide RE brake set (new) also from EBay. Job done I reckon

Ginge

Dec 29, 2018
Manchester
Thanks @Krisj and @Rob Hancill. I had my mind made up on the base level Levo, before realizing it didn't have a dropper seat post. I've now spent all morning deliberating on whether to go for the comp model based on this, or just buy a post for the base model, then further deliberation on the comp carbon!!!

Decision made now though after reading this! thanks again! Base model it is.

Its my first ebike and decent MTB for that matter so I'll go for the base model and see how I get on with it this year!

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Thanks @Krisj and @Rob Hancill. I had my mind made up on the base level Levo, before realizing it didn't have a dropper seat post. I've now spent all morning deliberating on whether to go for the comp model based on this, or just buy a post for the base model, then further deliberation on the comp carbon!!!

Decision made now though after reading this! thanks again! Base model it is.

Its my first ebike and decent MTB for that matter so I'll go for the base model and see how I get on with it this year!
No probs matey I’m still happy with my Levo and I’ve put it through it’s paces trust me lol
Check out the thread your ride in one picture and one sentence that was me this weekend as you can see more than a capable bike.
Have fun dude I’m sure you’ll not look back ??

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Things that are well designed, machined and tested are nice to use but price alone isn’t a guarantee of that. I’m probably as happy with the 2019 comp Carbon as I would have been with a base levo + minimal upgrades. I now intend to spend a few £ on coaching and suspension setup.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Nothing wrong with the base level Levo. I’ve got one and put a dropper on it, and that’s about all it needs. It’s got the pissy Flexi 32mm Reba forks but it still goes alright. Just KOM’d a local insane trail on it so can’t be too bad.

Leethal1

Dec 4, 2018
SoCal
Same here.. Stock base Levo plus a dropper, tubeless, and a backcounty research strap for a tube and co2.

Keep pondering a fork upgrade but so far the little baby fork is fine. To me the shifting has been great and my normal bike for comparison is x01 eagle.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Guess it must depend more on riding style/ability and weight than anything. I know my bike is another brand but same basic rules surely apply - with base model Focus Jam2 which has average spec: this is a huge upgrade from anything ive ever had before ($1000 New Zealand Dollar Hardtail), its like a magic carpet ride to me. Shimano M6000 brakes are supposedly low spec but feel amazing to this amateur. I see all the talk about needing much better brakes because ebikes are heavier? percentage of extra weight of Bike plus Rider must be quite minimal overall unless you are a real athlete (I weigh 113kg) so don't really see how weight of the bike is the main factor in this equation. I'm also 57 years old and had a couple of bad falls off my road bike over the years, including a broken pelvis, so not as adventurous as some. My Jam2 was $6200NZD (approx. 3800 British pounds) and is probably far better than anything this fat old guy will ever need, but I love it and have done about 1200kms on it on mixed road/logging trails/river trails/single track over the last about 16 weeks since I bought it. I like looking at the top spec bikes but reckon you would have to really justify the extra Dollars/Pounds to justify the extra spend, unless cost is not a factor at all in which case that's great and if you ever make it to Wellington, New Zealand, get in touch for a ride and you can shout the after ride beers.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
I agree with the OP.

Feels like there is some sort of reality distortion field when I see folk posting that £7+k bikes are cheap, or basic.

Personally, as an out of shape fat old guy with no money, I'll stick with my basic Levo HT that I purchased this week.

I have to say I don't much care its cheap (£2k?!? :eek:) it feels so much fun to ride. Ok it might not be great for gnarly downhill tracks. but for fire trails and some road its perfect for me and that's what matters. If I suddenly get fit and rich I'll invest in a more expensive bike lol.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
A lot depends on where you ride and how often. What we seem to be missing is a few years of people buying and owning ebikes and telling their upgrade stories eg I got this did that then I wanted to... I did create a spreadsheet before I got the Levo to work out £ per ride. I will have to see if it does better than my gym membership which works out £96.42 per visit ???

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I bought the Comp...my mate bought the base level. The shopbthrew in dmr v12s for nothing and fitted what they reckon to be the best dropper. Bike was discounted...same for me...and the shop gave 20% off the dropper. We are about the same standard and ride the same trails. Both bikes perform well. The only real difference between us is that he is about 15kg lighter than me

20190605_152611.jpg

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
I bought a CompCarbon because I wanted the smoothness look of no welds , never had Carbon and had enough pennies saved , the Fox as I’ve always had rockshox before .
I’m over 50 and thought why the fuck not !

I’ve changed the bars , the seat and the pedals just out of choice
I will probably change / upgrade other things when they need replacing .
It is the best toy ever !
Just remember you don’t have to answer to anyone , buy what you want , ride what you want .

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
My point was people that are new to e-bikes
Get confused and put off by bike and components tarts with bottom less wallets.
I was giving the basic Levo the recognition it deserves as a good entry bike.
And from the comments back it’s helped a few people (so job done. )
To be honest Half the people with high end components and bikes can’t even ride they just need to look the part (the people who can ride will not take offence to this either )
The ones guilty will be offended (sorry it’s true ?)

Kinda contradicting yourself here. You rant about people being snobs, then you make statements that are snobby too? Example: you call these people "...bike and components tarts with bottom less wallets..." and then later you say that "...half the people with high end components and bikes can’t even ride they just need to look the part..."

After all is said and done, this doesn't feel like a real rant about snobbery - it just seems like you're just sad that your basic Levo is not up to some people's personal preference or opinion... in fact maybe it's not up to yours either if it's not getting "the love" you are trying to give it.

Look at what Gary said earlier:
I'm not really sure why you care. It's their choice

So why bother? You have your Levo, you made changes to the cockpit, and you love it. So be it! Low end or high end, it doesn't matter. There will always be people with better (or worse) bikes out there. But that's their bikes, not your bike. Focus on YOUR bike. f you're enjoying it and you love it then who cares what other people think? Let them deal with their possible insecurities of needing high-end parts to make them feel better... if their line of thinking bothers you this much (regarding component level) that you have to rant about it, then you might actually have some similar opinions that they do and not even realize it.

Just enjoy your bike, man. spend more time having fun riding it, and less time worrying about what other people think about your bike spec.

EDIT: Yes this is a Specialized-specific post, but the subject caught my eye because I have a couple buddies with Levo's. But regardless of brand, we're all e-MTB riders.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dafuq's with the necro-quoting?

Me n Kris have been enjoying riding our bikes happily for over 10 months since this discussion was posted.

neither of us care

and neither of us were ranting back then either

Charlie149

Mar 16, 2019
Glasgow
I can see where Kris is coming from. I have a 2019 base model and I absolutely love it. I do see posts about how this or that isn't up to scratch and how you need the top spec - and for those guys maybe that's true. If they've got the cash to upgrade and the skills to justify it, fair play. But you'll always get people going on about how they need the best thing going, whether it's emtb, regular mtb, road bike.....like you say Dave, who cares? Must be hard work carrying all that ego around. I just laugh and carry right on.

Baba

Aug 11, 2019
anacortes, WA
To be fair you get a lot of the same with normal MTB's.

All that matters is that you love your bike, and the riding it lets you do - and thats the best thing about any e-mtb, is it enables a lot of us to ride more, and smile more!

I have had more people sneer at my bike being a Vitus than it being an E-MTB!

All that matters is that you love your bike, and the riding it lets you do !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shits and giggles!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I just need all the help I can get to ride the trails I want to ride without killing myself or wearing out vital body parts any further.
And I want the bike to look nice (subjective I know).
Weak and shallow, that's me. :giggle:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Im not really about looks or brands/model. I have always wanted any machine I use to perform well. I have the Levo Comp and after over 400 miles of single track and gravity runs Im pretty sure it is far more competent than me. I will spend money on maintenance comfort and bike fit/feel so my upgrades are pedals bars grips and saddle.....and mtb armour and clothing.

Reactions: Dax

Deadeye

Oct 6, 2019
Florida
As an old dirt biker and motorcyclist most of my life (54) all i care about is that an emtb is fun and I still get a workout. They go fast enough to keep the ride interesting without killing yourself on hills or riding into the wind. The alternative is probably not exercising much at all. Base model Levo is good for me and mods I'm interested in are not expensive (36T chainring and better rolling tires). Funny thing is that if I bought a 10K emtb I'd still probably be doing the same mods. That said, I love to see the tricked out bikes posted here.

Gray squirrel

Dec 25, 2019
Ny
Kinda contradicting yourself here. You rant about people being snobs, then you make statements that are snobby too? Example: you call these people "...bike and components tarts with bottom less wallets..." and then later you say that "...half the people with high end components and bikes can’t even ride they just need to look the part..."

After all is said and done, this doesn't feel like a real rant about snobbery - it just seems like you're just sad that your basic Levo is not up to some people's personal preference or opinion... in fact maybe it's not up to yours either if it's not getting "the love" you are trying to give it.

Look at what Gary said earlier:

So why bother? You have your Levo, you made changes to the cockpit, and you love it. So be it! Low end or high end, it doesn't matter. There will always be people with better (or worse) bikes out there. But that's their bikes, not your bike. Focus on YOUR bike. f you're enjoying it and you love it then who cares what other people think? Let them deal with their possible insecurities of needing high-end parts to make them feel better... if their line of thinking bothers you this much (regarding component level) that you have to rant about it, then you might actually have some similar opinions that they do and not even realize it.

Just enjoy your bike, man. spend more time having fun riding it, and less time worrying about what other people think about your bike spec.

EDIT: Yes this is a Specialized-specific post, but the subject caught my eye because I have a couple buddies with Levo's. But regardless of brand, we're all e-MTB riders.
If you fast enough they don't even see your bike ?????just a blurrrrr

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles