E-bike assistance speed limit. What it supposed to be?

20mph

Subscriber
Jan 30, 2024
Leeds
Hey fellow riders and e-bike enthusiasts! 🚴‍♂️🚴‍♀️

As we all cruise through the ever-evolving landscape of e-biking, there's one topic that keeps popping up in our chats: the motor assistance speed limit. It's a hot topic, with opinions as varied as our bike trails. So, I thought, why not put it to a vote and see where we all stand?

Poll Question: What motor assistance limit would satisfy you?​

• Option A: I'm not riding an e-bike, so don't care.
  • Option B: I'm not riding an e-bike, but they shouldn't get assistance above 16 mph!
  • Option C: 16 mph (25 km/h) is fine!
  • Option D: 20 mph (32 km/h) is the way to go!
  • Option E: No limits for me! I'm riding a conversion, chipped, throttle-assisted, not restricted brand bike!

Whether you're an avid e-biker, thinking about getting into it, or just here for the good vibes, your opinion matters! This isn't just about numbers on a speedometer; it's about shaping the future of e-biking to fit our needs, preferences, and safety.

So, what do you think? Cast your vote and let's get the conversation rolling! Feel free to share your thoughts, experiences, and maybe even a story or two about why you chose your answer. Let's make this poll as lively and informative as our rides!

Looking forward to seeing where we stand as a community on this. Every vote is a pedal stroke towards the e-biking future we're all crafting together!

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
I would be satisfied with 32 km/h because 25 km/h on flat is just to slow.
Chipping is not an option for me due to warranty and other consequences.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
My vote would be for you to just derestrict your bike if you think the limit holds you back so much.

It would seemingly also free up a lot of your spare time.
Or alternatively, buy a powerful electric bike, tax and insure it, and ride it legally on the road. You might also need a licence, but what's not to like?

Oh.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
D.
I could set my gen1 kenevo to 20mph via Bluetooth. I felt it to be the ideal speed.
The dongle on my gen2 is probably unlimited. Not that it's possible to ride around at 30+mph with low gearing and DH tyres like some seem to think. But if I had the option to set it at 20, I would.

Alba23

Nov 29, 2023
Reading
But would the 4mph increase be noticed? I used the Whyte e160 to get to the woods via the road (around 5km) and would have liked a bit more tax-free paddling before the power assist switch-off.

ThierryGTLTS

Feb 17, 2020
Belgium
For me 250w continous to 25km/h,
decreasing slowly to 100W at 30km/h,
decreasing to 60W at 32km/h, and cut over.

This could satisfy most of the people.

And like some people say, we don't need SUV e-bikes.
If you want throtle, buy a motorbike.

lamerecycles

Apr 10, 2019
Minneapolis

As we all cruise through the ever-evolving landscape of e-biking, there's one topic that keeps popping up in our chats: the motor assistance speed limit. It's a hot topic, with opinions as varied as our bike trails. So, I thought, why not put it to a vote and see where we all stand?

• Option B: I'm not riding an e-bike, but they shouldn't get assistance above 16 mph!
  • Option E: No limits for me! I'm riding a conversion, chipped, throttle-assisted, not restricted brand bike!

Whether you're an avid e-biker, thinking about getting into it, or just here for the good vibes, your opinion matters! This isn't just about numbers on a speedometer; it's about shaping the future of e-biking to fit our needs, preferences, and safety.

So, what do you think? Cast your vote and let's get the conversation rolling! Feel free to share your thoughts, experiences, and maybe even a story or two about why you chose your answer. Let's make this poll as lively and informative as our rides!

Looking forward to seeing where we stand as a community on this. Every vote is a pedal stroke towards the e-biking future we're all crafting together!
For LaMere Cycles the answer is Option E with a caveat being that the bike should be Class 3 meaning pedal assist, no throttle, and limited to 28mph. Shimano just released the new EP801 speed motor that we as an OEM manufacturer can set up to 28mph, so we are one of the few providers in the USA of a true Class 3 eMTB and our eFat bike the eSummit, but we always tell our customers to check their local trail regulations as some trails only allow Class 1 eMTB bikes. Of course if you are a good rider Class 1 will drive you nuts as you hit the 19mph limit on an open or downhill section and suddenly you are just pedaling a heavy 50lb bike.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Option E should be a chipped setup and you should have an option F for throttle bikes as there is a big difference between the two. And, most trials don’t allow throttle bikes. I wish my Trek EXe had no limit. Because even on a flat flow trail I’m bumping up against that 20 mph cutoff.

jetskier973

Nov 9, 2023
Gardner, KS.
21 specialized turbo levo is my whip.
Not a fan of speed limit on pedal assist only bikes.
My biggest complaint is how the motor feels like it actually fights back. It's a big distraction and a mental bummer. I just want to be able to focus on riding the trail within its' limits, the bikes' capabilities, and within my own limits.
I got Levociraptor within a month after riding restricted on my local trails, and it's the best thing I did. My favorite local trails have lots of great runs where you can ride into the 20's. There's are lots of trees and turns, but it is easily manageable.
Go ahead and tell me I'm riding a pedal assist motorcycle at that point, I don't care. I make fun of my emtb friends for riding mopeds anyway.
Going fast is fun. Change my mind.
And, as @Stoffel points out, it frees up lots of would-be spare time. I can get extra laps on the go-fast sections.

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
21 specialized turbo levo is my whip.
Not a fan of speed limit on pedal assist only bikes.
My biggest complaint is how the motor feels like it actually fights back. It's a big distraction and a mental bummer. I just want to be able to focus on riding the trail within its' limits, the bikes' capabilities, and within my own limits.
I got Levociraptor within a month after riding restricted on my local trails, and it's the best thing I did. My favorite local trails have lots of great runs where you can ride into the 20's. There's are lots of trees and turns, but it is easily manageable.
Go ahead and tell me I'm riding a pedal assist motorcycle at that point, I don't care. I make fun of my emtb friends for riding mopeds anyway.
Going fast is fun. Change my mind.
And, as @Stoffel points out, it frees up lots of would-be spare time. I can get extra laps on the go-fast sections.
I actually meant it would free up the ops spare time from campaigning for raising the speed limit…

CarbonMan

Apr 14, 2022
Connecticut

Youre missing the most important option-28mph. I think Euro should adopt the same speeds/classes as we have in USA.

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
With 38T chainring 50 km/h (31mph) would be perfect 👌

FB_IMG_1707558997258.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles